Menu

For those looking to work at home--ESL online

Chris in VA

Just came across my Facebook feed--VIPKID is looking for online English tutors for their Chinese clients. You earn about $18/hr to start (independent contractor, so subtract roughly 30% for taxes in the US). You have to be available a minimum of 7.5 hours. 

Just thought I'd pass it along. Google for the company and web address. 

HTH someone. 

• Like 2

Does anyone have any actual work experience with VIPKID? I taught ESL in Korea for 8 years and have looked at VIPKID's ads several times, but I thought it was one of these "Be online and available for XXX hours, but get paid only if someone wants to do a class with you." If there's steady work, I'd be very interested.

• Like 1

I have seen those adds too. I have been thinking of applying, it I want to wait until the end of the school year. The website makes it look pretty good.

I have also gotten adds from another company called 51Talk, but you have to give them your contact info to see the website. That turns me off.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

It's legit!!! This is my first week with VIPKID. It's awesome. It's FUN! I love it.
Classes are 25 min long. I'm making $9/class or 18/hr this month. Next month, with the incentives (teach 45 classes/month), I'm positive I'll be making $20/hr, all before my kids wake up. You are still paid if the child doesn't show up to class.
Such a great job for homeschool moms (and dads)!
I opened up my time slots on Sunday and I was completely booked for the next two weeks within 24 hrs! That's not usually the case with new teachers, but I'm pretty sure I know what I did right.
It's an amazing company and curriculum (this was important to me). You have to have a Bachelor's and 500 hours experience teaching children K-12.  Homeschooling experience counts too. 
The interview and mock classes/training take about a week to complete.  

Edited to add (8 weeks later): There is only a 10% hiring rate.  If you would like help getting hired and getting bookings, you can use my referral code and I would be glad to give you tips and practice through Skype. Everyone that practices through Skype with me has been hired so far.  Practice is really important!  However, I am so busy helping people that I am only able to help if you use me as your referral so I get paid for my time with you.  I get a bonus for every applicant that becomes a teacher.  My referral code is 02CI16.  Thanks!!  And yes, I'm making $20/hr and I'm booked immediately and I LOVE LOVE LOVE my job!  It is so fun!

Go here for FAQ and to apply: https://www.vipkidteachers.com/?refereeId=3942474

Edited by Heidi
  • Like 11

It's legit!!! This is my first week with VIPKID. It's awesome. It's FUN! I love it.

Classes are 25 min long. I'm making $9/class or 18/hr this month. Next month, with the incentives (teach 45 classes/month), I'm positive I'll be making $20/hr, all before my kids wake up. You are still paid if the child doesn't show up to class.

Such a great job for homeschool moms (and dads)!

I opened up my time slots on Sunday and I was completely booked for the next two weeks within 24 hrs! That's not usually the case with new teachers, but I'm pretty sure I know what I did right.

It's an amazing company and curriculum (this was important to me). You have to have a Bachelor's and a North American accent and love early mornings.

The interview and mock classes/training take about a week before they will hire you. I'd be happy to give you tips on how to pass the interview and mock classes! VIPKID is not mlm, I just get a bonus for referring teachers that actually pass the application process. I also just really, really love it. I've been looking for something like this for a long time.

Message me if you want more info!

Thanks for the review. I'm going to pass this on to my niece (former teacher, now SAHM).
  • Like 2

You might want to scan the listings on this URL:  

https://www.flexjobs.com/search?search=&exclude=&location=&country=hoa&tele_level%5B%5D=All+Telecommuting&will_travel%5B%5D=&accolade=

I believe that I have seen multiple listings there, for Tutors, for English and other languages.

I believe that is a reputable web site and that they normally charge USD $40 per year. If I had recent experience, I would pay them. Also, discounts are available. Recently I received an email for a 50% discount.

My sister in law started with VIPKID a few weeks ago and she really likes it. I just got rejected after the second mock class. I did pretty well on the first one, 39/44 points on the rubric. The second mock class didn't go as well, but it wasn't a disaster or anything. Oh well. I was pretty excited about doing it after seeing the curriculum and everything.

My sister in law doesn't have trouble getting classes booked, even just a few weeks in. 

My sister in law started with VIPKID a few weeks ago and she really likes it. I just got rejected after the second mock class. I did pretty well on the first one, 39/44 points on the rubric. The second mock class didn't go as well, but it wasn't a disaster or anything. Oh well. I was pretty excited about doing it after seeing the curriculum and everything.

My sister in law doesn't have trouble getting classes booked, even just a few weeks in. 

Awe, I'm sorry!  If you want to try again, just apply with a different email address.  Sometimes it just depends on who you get.  I was marked off points for doing something that other teachers and even VIPKID's own training videos told me to do!  I thought that was pretty unfair, but thankfully I DID pass.  while I'm sure there's a rubric, it also seems to be based a lot on one person's opinion.  I found the mock/practicums very difficult because it is not a real child in front of you.  I'm much better as a teacher to a child than pretending another adult is a child.  If you want, I can send you the info that I'm sending everyone else about the major things they are looking for during those mocks, if you want to try again.   

• Like 2

Will they let you try again?

Awe, I'm sorry!  If you want to try again, just apply with a different email address.  Sometimes it just depends on who you get.  I was marked off points for doing something that other teachers and even VIPKID's own training videos told me to do!  I thought that was pretty unfair, but thankfully I DID pass.  while I'm sure there's a rubric, it also seems to be based a lot on one person's opinion.  I found the mock/practicums very difficult because it is not a real child in front of you.  I'm much better as a teacher to a child than pretending another adult is a child.  If you want, I can send you the info that I'm sending everyone else about the major things they are looking for during those mocks, if you want to try again.   

Please do send me the info. I watched a lot of videos, but who knows?

Will they let you try again?

Not with the same email login information. 

If you show your availability spanning several of the peak hours, can you be picky about how many classes you accept? (because you only want to teach a few but your window is wider).

Not really. You open the 30 min time slots you are willing to teach. Then the parents come in and book your slot. Once you're booked, you're committed. So you could open 500-530, 600-630, 700-730 if you wanted so you can get little breaks between.

One of the incentives is a 24-hr notice deal that might work for you. Say you don't open any times on friday. It's Thursday and you decide you will open all the slots from 4am to 8am with only 24 hour notice. If they get booked, you get an extra $2 for that class. I'm not sure yet how reliable the 24-hour notice thing is yet, or the best way to work that incentive because I haven't been there long enough (1 week!).

• Like 1

Remember that besides any income tax that is exigible based on your household income level, you need to plan on paying self-employment taxes which are equal to both the employer and employee portions of payroll taxes for SS and Medicare. 

Are you saying that someone working for a tutoring site has to make another step when they file taxes or this is something that will come out of their paycheck automatically? I'm asking because I did sign up with a tutoring site this year (only worked one session) and hadn't thought of any of this. I have a family member that does our taxes. I'm clueless with that stuff.

Are you saying that someone working for a tutoring site has to make another step when they file taxes or this is something that will come out of their paycheck automatically? I'm asking because I did sign up with a tutoring site this year (only worked one session) and hadn't thought of any of this. I have a family member that does our taxes. I'm clueless with that stuff.

Self-employment taxes will not be taken out of the paycheck.  The company is not responsible for deducting any taxes owed by an independent contractor.  It provides a 1099 form at the end of the year stating amount paid to you, but no taxes are deducted.  You have to fill out the extra form for self-employment taxes.  If you only worked one session, you won't owe very much in SE tax, but you'll still have to file.

• Like 4

Depends on the classification of the employment.  On this site, the teachers are independent contractors and need to pay self-employment taxes.  No matter what your income tax liability, self-employment taxes are 12.4% for Social Security and 2.9% for Medicare of every dollar you earn up to ~$127K.  If the teacher or tutor is an employee, the employer pays 1/2 of each themselves and deducts the other half from the worker's paycheck.  

When I file people's tax returns, a number are surprised at how much they have to pay for their self-employment income, even if their income is low enough that the income tax part is zero or nominal.  

• Like 2

OK here's my VIPKID March update!

I worked 13 days in March, 33 classes, and I made $360.50. That would be $10.92/class (25 min) or $21.85/hr. Plus $35 bonus money (2 trial kids signed on and $25 for becoming a teacher in March).

This is how pay works (it's a little confusing).

After your interview/mock class,they tell you how much they will offer as your base pay, based on your mock performance and teaching experience. It will be between $7-$9. Then you get $1 for every class that you show up to on time. Plus $0.50 for every class if you teach 30 classes a month, or $1 for every class if you teach 45 classes a month. You get an extra $2 for every class that is booked with you with less than 24 hrs notice. You are paid even if the kid doesn't show up to class, unless it is a trial class (the kid is trying out VIPKID for free). In that case, if they don't show up you only get paid half your base pay, but it still counts toward total classes for the month. And if a trial class kid signs up with VIPKID, you get a $5 bonus.

And every month comes with a different monetary incentive to make things exciting! April's incentive is to encourage us to teach more classes during the peak,peak times (4am-7am pst) than we did in march. Since I'm new, I'm going to be making $240 extra in April!

March's incentive was based on how many 5-apple reviews we could get in March. I didn't get enough to get any $$, but 2000 teachers got either $50, $75, or $100 bonus.

In *pacific standard time*, teaching times range from 6pm-7am daily. Prime time is 3am-7am daily, and 6pm-7am Friday and Saturday. And like I mentioned earlier, prime prime time is 4am-6am pst. The are no minimum classes you have to teach.

I have learned that my experience so far is not typical. Most people don't get hired when they apply (6-10%). If they do, most don't get bookings immediately like I did. It usually takes a few weeks or months to get their schedule filled. I think I know what I did right to get so lucky though. So if you are interested, please get in touch with me and I will help you out.

I really enjoy teaching these kids. We are encouraged to have fun and be silly to make the learning fun, which makes the teaching fun.

My husband is even thinking about becoming a VIPKID when he retires from the military because the pay rocks and he can work from home. I do think male teachers are very popular with the Chinese.

I'll keep updating and let you know how my April goes, too!

Edited by Heidi
  • Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, it's not the end of April yet, but I thought I'd update my experience with VIPKID anyway. 

I still love teaching these kids.  A lot of VIPKID teachers list "the kids" as the thing they love the most about VIPKID, and it's true.  The kids are pretty awesome/sweet/funny/smart.  You just fall in love with them.  They are what make the teaching time just fly by.  They are what make this job FUN.  There are occasionally kids that are not fun. I had a student today that wanted me to know, through her actions, that she thinks learning English is the most boring thing in the world.  She was very smart and the lesson was way too easy for her, so she would mumble her answers in monotone and not crack a smile.  But even those occasional difficult students bring joy.  By the end of the lesson she was smiling and laughing.  I was able to reach her!  It is just so rewarding.  I'm starting to get repeat students, so I'm building a personal relationship with these sweet children, which is rewarding too.

On top of LOVING the actual work of teaching, I'm making awesome money. My stats so far for April 1-April 18: I've taught 83 classes.  I've made $834, which is $10/class, $20/hour.  I also have $20 in bonus money for trial kids signing up for VIPKID after I taught them.  My open teaching times are 100% booked within 24hours.  Pretty sweet!

The VIPKID company is amazing.  They are constantly evolving to make the company grow, to make the teaching experience better.  I get to sign up for free teaching seminars online, where we are all in a virtual classroom, speaking/seeing each other, and learning from a mentor on how to be a better teacher.  It has just opened up my eyes on how awesome the online learning format can be.  This is just an amazing company.  I hope there will be more online language learning companies that are modeled after VIPKID because it works so well!

Anyway, if you have questions, feel free to message me!

• Like 4

Well, I tried again and this time I'm in!! I used another email address. I guess I did much better this time because they offered more money after my interview and demo class and I only had to do one Mock Class. I'm getting my info uploaded and can't wait to get started. My sis in law is doing great (no surprise because she is great all around, especially as a teacher). I have been on several interviews in the past year and it stinks to have people think that because I haven't worked in years I must be clueless about technology. NOT TRUE! It feels great to have someone (anyone) say YOU'RE HIRED!

Edited by sarasue7272
  • Like 4

Well, I tried again and this time I'm in!! I used another email address. I guess I did much better this time because they offered more money after my interview and demo class and I only had to do one Mock Class. I'm getting my info uploaded and can't wait to get started. My sis in law is doing great (no surprise because she is great all around, especially as a teacher). I have been on several interviews in the past year and it stinks to have people think that because I haven't worked in years I must be clueless about technology. NOT TRUE! It feels great to have someone (anyone) say YOUR HIRED!

Great news!

Congrats

• Like 1

Well, I tried again and this time I'm in!! I used another email address. I guess I did much better this time because they offered more money after my interview and demo class and I only had to do one Mock Class. I'm getting my info uploaded and can't wait to get started. My sis in law is doing great (no surprise because she is great all around, especially as a teacher). I have been on several interviews in the past year and it stinks to have people think that because I haven't worked in years I must be clueless about technology. NOT TRUE! It feels great to have someone (anyone) say YOUR HIRED!

Yahoo!! Congratulations!

Update your experience with vipkid here if you'd like. If you have questions on how to get bookings you can message me. I would love to help you out. It's such a great job :) I'm glad you tried again and got offered more money!

Edited by Heidi
  • Like 3

• 2 months later...

I just wanted to post a quick update on my job as an online ESL teacher. As of today I've worked for Vipkid for 101 days and have taught 376 classes. I'm still loving it! I just came back from a vacation to Universal Studios with my daughters from my Vipkid paycheck. I have regular students that book with me that I've fallen in love with!. Such sweet students and parents that I get to interact with is definitely a benefit I didn't expect. Check out the FAQ on the link in my first post and if you have any additional questions, I'll be happy to answer.

Edited by Heidi
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Depends on the classification of the employment.  On this site, the teachers are independent contractors and need to pay self-employment taxes.  No matter what your income tax liability, self-employment taxes are 12.4% for Social Security and 2.9% for Medicare of every dollar you earn up to ~$127K.  If the teacher or tutor is an employee, the employer pays 1/2 of each themselves and deducts the other half from the worker's paycheck.  

When I file people's tax returns, a number are surprised at how much they have to pay for their self-employment income, even if their income is low enough that the income tax part is zero or nominal.  

So if you hold back about 17% of your income for taxes, you should be good, right?

Monique Stam

• 4 weeks later...

So, just got rejected from VIPkid - do you really think it would be ok to apply with a different email address?  

I aced my demo and my second mock, did an acceptable job with the middle one but kind of bombed the more advanced class.  I had just been preparing for the littler kids.  Anyway - from what you know on how they decide who to hire, could one half of one part not going well really cost you the job?  Especially when they were just going to have me teach the beginners?  Kind of shocked... I had heard it was really easy to get.  

I reapplied right away with a second email. I don't think it's an easy job to get. I have heard less than 10% of applicants get through. On a positive note, I was offered more $$ the second time.

I really like the work, the hours are hard. I am 6 months in and while I can get up and teach at 5 now, the rest of the day is hard. It has been a big adjustment.