Menu

Need your favorite books for children please!

Jenrae

I have completed the toy purchases and now am looking to pick out a few books, but find I am at a complete loss for some reason. I need ideas for books that I can purchase for the youngest in my family.

Soon to be granddaughter of 1 year

2nd grade boy

3rd grade boy

What were some of your favorites?

My kids -- in 2nd and 3rd grade -- LOVED the The Magic Tree House series. It's a big series and probably goes up to # 49 or something by now. Start with # 1 and go from there. They'll love these books and they're super education.

Here is the first boxed set that has book 1, 2, 3, and 4.

You might get one boy the first boxed set and the other boy the second box set that has book 5, 6, 7 and 8.

Kids love these books! For other reading this thread: these books are great for kids up to 4th grade.

Alley

Edited by Alicia64
  • Like 4

I have completed the toy purchases and now am looking to pick out a few books, but find I am at a complete loss for some reason. I need ideas for books that I can purchase for the youngest in my family.

Soon to be granddaughter of 1 year

2nd grade boy

3rd grade boy

What were some of your favorites?

For your littlest elf, our family favorites are things like Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?, Chicka Chicka Boom Boom, anything by Sandra Boynton, We're Going on a Bear Hunt, and The Napping House. I have very dear memories of reading the book No No, Jo! (about a naughty kitten who gets into everything) to my oldest, with her lisping out "no no jo!" and shaking her little finger at each turn of the page :lol:

For the boys, it might depend more on their personalities and what you're looking for. Are you looking for classic keepsake-type books or just "feed the reading monster" books? For fun, there's Geronimo Stilton or Magic Treehouse (and their nonfiction counterparts), the Wayside School books, Cricket in Times Square, Beverly Cleary's books that have boys as the main character, the Fudge books by Judy Blume, A to Z Mysteries... 

Depending on their reading level/interests, there are also the Ology books (Dragonology, Pirateology, etc.--might be good for growing into), The Dangerous Book for Boys books, big books of facts and records, Horrible Histories, and the ever-popular joke books. Their parents may not thank you for the last suggestion though :lol: 

Edited by ILiveInFlipFlops
  • Like 1

The Napping House is a huge favorite here for the younger child.  Also, look for books written/illustrated by John Butler.  Our favorite is called Hush, Little Ones.  The illustrations are beautiful.

I second the suggestion for the Magic Tree House books.  My 15 year old still re-reads them on occasion.  Much loved.  Also, she has a copy of the complete stories of Winnie the Pooh that has gotten much love. 

• Like 1

For the youngest:
Poke-a-Dot books or Indestructables.  Poke-a-dots have little plastic bubbles to pop in and out as you turn the pages, Indestructables are made from Tyvek and are unrippable (plus can go in the washing machine and still feel book-like)

For the grade schoolers.  My kid has enjoyed
Beverly Cleary's Fudge series

Sideways Stories From Wayside School

The 39 Story Treehouse/Diary of a Wimpy Kid/Star Wars middle school type books where they look like there are doodles all over the pages

Roald Dahl's The BFG & Matilda

lenticular books (there's a series called Photicular with themes of Ocean, Savannah, Arctic..)

• Like 2

2nd and 3rd grade:  Notebook of Doom, Erie Elementary, Kung Pow Chicken, Haggis and Tank, Haunted Library, Monkey Me, Geronimo Stilton, Andrew Lost, Looniverse, Bunnicula are all favorites in our house.

1 year old:  any of the Llama Llama books, Chicka Chicka Boom Boom, Mother Bruce, Hotel Bruce, Silly Sally, Bats at the Beach

• Like 1

I don't think you can go wrong with a Shel Silverstein poetry collection, like A Light in the Attic.  Does anyone ever outgrow these?  For extra fun, include a CD of him performing some of his poems.

If the 2nd/3rd graders like to draw... Ed Emberley.  I wish they still made his books in hardcover.

For the littlest, I agree with recommendations for Sandra Boynton as a fun choice.  Jan Brett's The Mitten is a beautiful book and well-worn here.  (I just discovered that she has made quite a few free coloring pages, including the makings for murals!  Cool beans!)  Another book that all my kids have loved is I Am A Bunny.

Edited by Cecropia
  • Like 2

Sandra Boynton, Curious George, or Corduroy for the little one.

Boys-

The New Ways Things Work

D'Aulaire's Book of Greek Myths

Mr. Popper's Penguins

Aesop's Fables

Paddington Bear

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

Mike Mulligan

Strega Nona

Babar

The Littles

Anatole

Pageturners- 2nd grade: Andrew Lost

3rd grade: Series of Unfortunate Events

Edited by Heigh Ho

Sheep in a Jeep for the littlest one. 

I'll get back to you on the others.

ETA: Inside Outside Upside Down also for the littlest.

For the 2nd and 3rd grade kids, depends on their reading level. 

Some will be reading Dr. Seuss and some will be reading full on chapter books.

What is their reading level? What have they expressed interest in?

Edited by scrapbookbuzz
  • Like 1