Menu

Standardized testing

mamamoose

BJU Press has testing for homeschoolers. It is easy to get certified as a tester and you are allowed to test your own children. If you are using the results for your own knowledge, this works great. There would probably be a conflict if it was state mandated though. I've done the Standford 10 and ITBS through them.

://www.bjupresshomeschool.com

If it weren't required by my state and were solely for my own benefit, I'd probably look at diagnostic assessments like the DORA and ADAM for reading and math, mainly because they seem simple to implement and provide some useful feedback. But they aren't standardized tests. Testing is required in my state and I find this to be a useful comparison of nationally-normed tests.

BJU Press has testing for homeschoolers. It is easy to get certified as a tester and you are allowed to test your own children. If you are using the results for your own knowledge, this works great. There would probably be a conflict if it was state mandated though. I've done the Standford 10 and ITBS through them.

://www.bjupresshomeschool.com

I have used the Stanford through BJU as well. I believe that you do need to have at least a bachelor's degree to be a tester though. Very painless process.

I have used the Stanford through BJU as well. I believe that you do need to have at least a bachelor's degree to be a tester though. Very painless process.

They say you have to have a bachelor's but there is no real reason why. It's an odd requirement. If the OP wants the kids to take the test just to see where they stand, the OP won't need to have a bachelor's degree.

I find that requirement bizarre. I gave my kids the Stanford and (gasp!) I don't have a bachelor's degree and I was able to read the instructions just fine and understand the results, etc.

• Like 1

So to take the tests through BJU, I become certified? Is it graded online or is it paper tests?

You watch a little video and you're certified.

We took paper tests. The kids filled out the bubbles, I mailed everything back, and a few weeks later they gave me the results.

If you want a simple test that gives immediate results and doesn't require any degrees or certification, have them take the CAT online.

What exactly are you testing them for? Different tests might be better for different needs. I've had my kids take tests for an assortment of reasons, and different tests can better fit whatever reason I'm having them be tested.

ETA: And when you mail everything back, you mail *everything* back. They'd provided a piece of paper with formulas on it (area of a circle, area of a square, etc). They also sent a list of what had to be returned. That paper wasn't listed as something to return, so I didn't return it. The kids used it as scrap paper.

They called me and asked me where that paper was. (There's a penalty fee for not returning everything.). I told them it wasn't on their list to be returned so I didn't think they wanted it. The lady put me on hold to check, and then came back and said that I was right and it was ok.

But if I were you, I'd send everything back, even if it's not on the list. That call really irritated me.

Edited by Garga

Familylearning.org

There are a couple tests you can choose from. From their website:  "As the testing service, FLO is considered the administrator of the test. The parents serve as proctors assisting in the process. FLO believes that parents who are qualified to homeschool their children are qualified to proctor the tests."

• Like 1