Menu

AOPS Pre-Algebra and Algebra Online--Teacher Recommendations

Well they all teach with almost the same wording. However we have a very good experience with LYZ because

1. She teaches LaTex mini lesson after class;

2. She picks a lot of student answers for each classroom question (some instructors will show only couples of best answers for each question);

HTH

never mind i didnt' see the AOPS tag.

I will say the AOPS official class at the AOPS website doesn't really teach the material and makes it much harder to learn than just using the book itself. I would not recommend it unless you have a brilliant child or you are a math major yourself.  

Edited by Calming Tea
  • Like 1

I will say the AOPS official class at the AOPS website doesn't really teach the material and makes it much harder to learn than just using the book itself. I would not recommend it unless you have a brilliant child or you are a math major yourself.

Why does the class make it harder to learn the material?

• Like 1

I am curious as to why you think this. It hasnt been our experience a all.

I think the only reason it might look harder is the pace. Otherwise, you still need to go through the book. As long as you do it *before* the class, it should be fine. Of course, it only applies if the child is ready for AOPS in general. Having said that, I am on the fence whether we should take a class for my DS, or go through the book ourselves, or go through the book, and then take a class. The main reason I consider the class is socializing.

• Like 1

Why does the class make it harder to learn the material?

The pace makes it harder but that is NOT the reason...

The class does not use the Challenge problems in the book.  The class uses an alternate set of Challenge problems for while you do NOT have a solutions manual.  So you don't have the chance to give your student a hint, you have zero help, and they only have one measly class in which to ask their questions, and the class itself moves very quickly, so they don't have the time to go back and ponder the answers and solutions to the challenge problems.

To us, this was a huge disadvantage.  My son much preferred using the book, and SM which he did for the second semester.

• Like 1