Menu

When did the asynchrony level out for your AL?

mathnerd

For my child, the ages 8.5 to 9 seems to be the time at which many of the asynchronies have started to level out. In some skills where he was behind, like motor co-ordination (which gave my sport crazy DH a lot of grief), I can see marked improvement since DS turned 8.5. He can play ball sports well enough to score for his team. And he is responding rapidly to situations whereas before, it used to take him a while to respond to questions or situations that required him to think a bit. His handwriting is decent and fast enough for a reluctant writer. His artwork used to be awful and it was a challenge to find something good to say about work that consisted of exploding lava blobs and dark alien blobs and now, he can color and paint with more hand control and his work looks decent though he will never be an artist, which is fine with me.

I am not sure if this is because of these out-of-sync skills catching up or if all the years of working on these skills have started showing results. 

ETA: By leveling out, I mean that the out-of-sync skills don't stand out when compared to kids their age. Would also like to include emotional maturity ...

Edited by mathnerd
  • Like 2

My kids have caught up on some motor skills but are still behind in some. They no longer "standout". Do you mean level out enough to not be obviously behind? My side of the family is mainly asynchronous even for adults of all ages. What they are bad at are things any adult could be bad at. For example, my mom hand sews very well but can't thread a needle. So I used to be the needle threader. My dad has difficulty with the rice cooker and microwave So if he cooks, he use a pot or pan over a stove.

I think it is both out-of-sync skills catching up and all the years of working on these skills have started showing results. PT and VT has help accelerated improvements for my relatives and me compared to just waiting for skills to catch up. My kids motor skills improved faster when they were in gym.

• Like 2

It's started to even out. DD is stil behind motor wise for kids her age, but her physical writing skills have caught up, and she can now keep up with her thoughts on writing. Emotionally, she has caught up a lot and is able to handle age appropriate or higher content (she is not going to have panic attacks or burst into tears over an assigned book in a high school class at this point-while for many years many recommended books for her age group simply were not good fits). She is still pretty wide spread-but the spread is from an early high school level to a college/graduate level, not from an elementary level to a college/graduate level.

• Like 2

Not yet here.

Ds is 12 and is all over the board. But, it's very noticeable in writing ability, and co-ordination/athletic ability (or extreme lack of)

Dd 6 is the most extreme and the most noticeable. She's either 15 or 2 with no in-between. I get comments on her all the time!

(Edited to correct age)

Edited by Tumbatoo
  • Like 1

My older 2 are 8 and almost 10, has not happened yet across all subjects. dd9's writing is still problematic. dd8 is still struggling with basic spelling, handwriting and composition, I fear we may never be able to read a word she writes due to the spelling and handwriting.

Next year I am doing a big writing focus with dd9, she will be in 10 and in 5th grade and we just need to get her composition skills up to scratch, I could easily place her at least 2 grade levels above her age in all other areas but her writing ability is really holding her back

• Like 1