Menu

What's Missing from Zumdahl World of Chemistry

I picked up a set for this text, really like it, and can see my kiddo doing well with it. Even most of the labs look do-able. If she works through all of it, including the chapters on biochemistry and organic chemistry and is assigned most of the critical thinking exercises, what would we need to add to make sure she'd be ready for a "chemistry for science majors" dual credit course and the local college as her next chemistry course?

Thanks!

Edited by elladarcy

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, I'm interested in finding out more about Zumdahl's Chemistry textbooks. 

I'm thinking of using Zumdahl with DIVE Chemistry. 

Does anyone have experience with Zumdahl, especially using it with the DIVE Chem CD-Rom program? 

Thanks for any feedback!

Unless you already own DIVE, Crash Course and Bozeman videos would work well. My dc has liked Crash Course for Bio. I google the topic + Crash Course. Then she reads the chapter. The humor in it might not be suitable for every family, but it is memorable.

Edited by elladarcy
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

Bumping up this old thread to ask about scheduling. I bought the text used and my son and I really like it. So i bought the TM and I am starting to plan for the fall.  But, in searching online for ideas/labs/etc, I have seen that several schools that use this text change the order of the chapters and leave out a few. For example, 1 syllabus spends 4 weeks on chs 3, 11, and 12, 4 weeks on ch 6 alone, and completely leaves out chs 1, 10, and 17.

So. Is it fine/not optimal/too much (I am looking for a solid High School level, not honors, definitely not AP) if we just work through the book? I can schedule history, foreign language, and math texts and I always create my own English courses, but I am not comfortable enough with Chemistry to be able to pick and choose what is most important.

Actually, has anyone set up a syllabus/schedule/plan for this text that I can take a look at?

• Like 1

Another boardie did this: https://sarah40.wordpress.com/

The text in the books is almost identical if you look at the sample on Amazon, although questions at the end of the chapter are different. For us, if we use World of Chemistry, I plan to use the whole book.

Solutions manuals are available, but if you don't have one, you could assign the "blue" questions, which have answers in the back of the student text. There are full solutions for the the self checks in the chapters.

Hope this helps!

ETA- We will probably use some of the the labs, too. We might fill in with a few from a local park that does a few wet labs a year.

It breaks down to about 1 subsection a day for 170-ish days. If you do 8-10 labs, plus tests, you would want to cover 2-3 subsections a day early in the school year. I looked over the labs that are in the textbook and a number of them could be done at home. We would just do them as we came to them.

Otherwise, we'll get Novare's "chemistry at home" book. Either way, we'll be using Novare's lab report book.

Edited by elladarcy
  • Like 1

We combined Zumdahl's World of Chemistry this year with Spectrum Curriculum. I would say definitely Zumdahl is thourough and very well presented curriculum. I wouldn't worry about sequence of the chapters. You can always tailor the labs to the material covered. Another great text is by Nivaldo Tro. Older editions could also be purchased under $20.00.

• Like 2