Menu

Good gift or meh?

HomeAgain

I am finishing up my Christmas shopping and part of my list is a newer homeschooling family.  Ordinarily I'd buy a gift for the kids, but I know they downsized their home (and I know they will get plenty of toys this Christmas).  So I was thinking a gift card to someplace like CBD or Lakeshore Learning.

If you were a parent and your kid opened that, rather than something directly for them to play with, would you feel a little put off?

My kids wouldn't mind a gift card, but if they opened it they would want to do the shopping. Even at a bookstore, they would pick out toys.

What about some read alouds that would appeal to the kids? Or something that will get used for school: globe, nice colored pencils, art paper, a science experiment kit, etc.

• Like 1

I wouldn't do that for the whole family, unless you do individual card for each person so they could each decide what they wanted. My kids love getting gift cards! Alternatively, you could do one from there for the mom and gift cards from other places for the kids (even restaurants like Dairy Queen or something similar would probably go over well if you wanted to avoid toys). 

I'll keep thinking on it, then. :) Thanks, all!

To add more info: they don't do a lot of in-person shopping and the kids are all close in age/same gender, so there really is a lot that they already have. And their place is rather like here, where the nearest bookstore is 1.5 hours away. 

I'll keep thinking on it, then. :) Thanks, all!

To add more info: they don't do a lot of in-person shopping and the kids are all close in age/same gender, so there really is a lot that they already have. And their place is rather like here, where the nearest bookstore is 1.5 hours away. 

If they have a Baskin Robbins, that would be a very exciting gift card. Or Tutti Frutti or even McDonald's if they don't go often, they have sundaes and such..

Is this family? Can this particular exchange be stopped, lol? Not this year, but I'd really consider whether it's worth it to be shipping gifts back and forth when the kids have a lot already. If you want to keep the tradition, can you work on having themes and limits that might make life simpler? Family gifts only makes it easier as well, you can get much more of the wow factor with less budget. 

We play a themed gift game, Room by Room. This year is one gift from the kitchen, and one gift from the toy room. You could do similar without the game aspect. A family gift from the kitchen could be a stack of premade treats, it could be a kid-oriented cooking book with some of the supplies included (Family Fun used to do one, I'm sure there are plenty of new ones), it could be a box of baking supplies with chef's hats for the kids. A family gift from the toy room could be a game, a puzzle, a spirograph, a craft activity, anything that they can do together. 

The themes aren't that limiting, but they really do help you focus and make a decision! And it's fun for everyone to offer ideas. 

I thought this said:

Good gift or meth?

:lol:

Choices, choices . . . 

• Like 1

I think part of it depends on the kids' ages. When my kids were quite young, they received some cash and clothes from relatives. They cried. They didn't understand why they didn't receive any toys. They did not understand that they could spend their money on toys. Now, they like cash and gift cards.

I second the Baskin Robbins gift cards. My children received BR gift cards for their birthdays, and it has been such a treat.

Just one thing on the Amazon gift card (a gift I love to receive!) - unless you know the family has prime, be sure to get a card for at least the amount that gives free shipping.  (Last time I needed to know this it was $25, but that was a long time ago.)    

Sorry if that seems obvious/insulting to mention, but I have received many gift cards that don't cover much of anything once shipping is factored in, so in my experience it isn't obvious to everyone.  (Not just Amazon but other places.)  

Which stores are they near to?

My kids would be upset to get Lakeshore Learning gift card and we are near to a Lakeshore Learning store. For gift cards they love Target because it has toys, snacks and they can always trade us the Target gift card for cash. We do have many Target stores nearby, including one within walking distance.

We don't have Amazon prime so we need to have $49 worth of orders for free shipping, unless the item ships free. My kids had ordered toys costing below $10 that shipped free from Asia.

Edited by Arcadia