Menu

FYI: CCs with dorms

MarkT

google:

"Cutting College Costs: 209 Community Colleges with Dorms"

Kiddo can still get away from the parents but you pay less tuition.

Some states do not have any.

Interesting. I didn't know such a thing existed. Can you add a link?

Edited by Momto2Ns

We were very seriously considering Texas State Technical College for our son, once upon a time. We took a trip to Waco and did a campus tour, talked with instructors, etc. I was very impressed with it. It is a 2-yr public residential technical institute.

google:

"Cutting College Costs: 209 Community Colleges with Dorms"

Kiddo can still get away from the parents but you pay less tuition.

Some states do not have any.

Our state doesn't have this. In fact, one of our big 4-year state unis doesn't have any dorms. They're finally going to get one... just broke ground.

Oh, duh. Just remembered...

There are five CCs in San Antonio, collectively called the Alamo Colleges. The one that is downtown, San Antonio College, has fully furnished housing. I'm not sure why that's not on the list when you google.

http://www.alamo.edu/housing/

Edited by Kinsa

Also thought I'd mention that Navarro College, which is on that list, is no longer a stand-alone college, as far as I know. We drive past it frequently on our way to and from ds's college, and they now have a sign out front saying something about being part of the Texas A&M system. But admittedly I know nothing about it. It looks like a pretty nice college though.

Probably not as applicable here, but some community colleges have dorms or basic apartments specifically for international students. The college I'm working for now has that. Included is a college staffer who organizes activities and provides help with visa issues, financial aid, etc.

The local CC here added in some dorms a few years back, I think those are mostly used by student athletes as many live at home or commute. Our CC has an increasing number of bachelor programs(and a few Master's programs done as satellite programs) and transfer programs worked out with a number of other colleges. I can't see my kids using the dorms as they are welcome to stay at our house and we have a basement to give everyone their own space BUT I can see it bein a good fit for those who don't have that option.

The local CC here added in some dorms a few years back, I think those are mostly used by student athletes as many live at home or commute. Our CC has an increasing number of bachelor programs(and a few Master's programs done as satellite programs) and transfer programs worked out with a number of other colleges. I can't see my kids using the dorms as they are welcome to stay at our house and we have a basement to give everyone their own space BUT I can see it bein a good fit for those who don't have that option.

If the CC is offering bachelor programs (and master's programs) what is defining it as a CC? 

• Like 2

If the CC is offering bachelor programs (and master's programs) what is defining it as a CC?

That's my question too. I thought that as soon as the college started offering bachelor degrees then it was no longer considered a CC. Am I wrong?

That's my question too. I thought that as soon as the college started offering bachelor degrees then it was no longer considered a CC. Am I wrong?

It is possible to earn a bachelor's degree at the cc near. I think there are only two degree options for this. The cc does not issue the bachelor's. The program is in conjunction with one of the state universities. You have to apply to be in the program early on. After you finish prerequisite classes that are typical for cc, the remaining work is a combination of course by the university with the cc being a satellite location and online courses. Random students may not register for the courses, you have to have applied and been accepted to the program. The degree is issued by the university that does the satellite work.

This type of program can fill a need for some people. Obviously, with very limited degree options it won't be for everyone. I think the degrees are general business related. They work well for some types of jobs and for the person who needs a degree just to check a box to move up.

• Like 2

It is possible to earn a bachelor's degree at the cc near. I think there are only two degree options for this. The cc does not issue the bachelor's. The program is in conjunction with one of the state universities. You have to apply to be in the program early on. After you finish prerequisite classes that are typical for cc, the remaining work is a combination of course by the university with the cc being a satellite location and online courses. Random students may not register for the courses, you have to have applied and been accepted to the program. The degree is issued by the university that does the satellite work.

This type of program can fill a need for some people. Obviously, with very limited degree options it won't be for everyone. I think the degrees are general business related. They work well for some types of jobs and for the person who needs a degree just to check a box to move up.

That is how it works here. They have agreements worked out with a couple of different colleges.  The new administration is trying to change the name from CC to college but I don't know the details of how that works and if it is official, I still hear and see it referred to as both. None of the Bachelor's or Master's degrees are issued by the local college but one of three partner colleges.

"College name" partners with four-year colleges and universities to offer bachelor's degree completion programs on our campus, at our off-campus locations, and online."

- Accounting

- Biology

- Biology with Certification to teach

- Mathematics Education

- Music Education

- Psychology

- Special Education K-12

- Master in Education

Organizational Management

- Organizational Leadership

- Criminal Justice

- Elementary Education

- Early Childhood Education

- Social Work

- Master of Science in Education (three options)

- Master of Arts in Leadership Organizational Management

- Master of Arts in Leadership Christian Ministry

General Studies

- Interdisciplinary Studies

- Early Childhood Education

- Middle School Education: Math

- Middle School Education: Language

- Middle School Education: Science

- Middle School Education: Social Studies

- Elementary Education

- Elementary Education with Add-On Certification in Middle School Language Arts

- Exceptional Childhood Education

Edited by soror

That's interesting. I've heard of traditional "2+2" programs (articulation agreements), but I've never heard of that. Today I learned something new. :)

When I went there (20 yrs ago next year) all they had were the articulation agreements, they started adding on a couple of Bachelor's degree options soon after I graduated and have continued to expand. I was just looking yesterday at a college that I think will possibly be a good fit for ds and he can earn nearly 3 yrs of credits here before transferring.