Menu

Anyone with experience in UK grad school admissions?

Jenny in Florida

Or, actually, grad school admissions anywhere in Europe?

My daughter is starting to noodle around with the idea of grad school, and she is specifically interested in going abroad. She's making lists of programs that might be a good fit for her, but she's feeling a bit stumped about the requirements and application process.

For example, is there a GRE equivalent exam she should be prepping for?

If someone who has been through this, especially as an applicant from the US, could just walk me through the basic process, I'd sure be appreciative.

I deal with masters and PhD admissions for a good UK university. We require a transcript, two references, an academic writing sample, a CV and, if relevant, a research proposal or personal statement. No other exams.

Thanks! I'll pass that along to my daughter.

She's looking a couple of years ahead, probably, but wants to be working towards being ready to apply when the time is right.

• Like 1

I deal with masters and PhD admissions for a good UK university. We require a transcript, two references, an academic writing sample, a CV and, if relevant, a research proposal or personal statement. No other exams.

Do particular programs require more?  DD has also been looking at graduate schools in Europe.  She would like to study comparative literature. She has a lot of foreign language background, but her professors in the US have told her that she will have difficulty being considered for a program because she has not studied Latin.  (She is looking at ways of adding that to her final year of undergraduate studies.)

• Like 1

Do particular programs require more?  DD has also been looking at graduate schools in Europe.  She would like to study comparative literature. She has a lot of foreign language background, but her professors in the US have told her that she will have difficulty being considered for a program because she has not studied Latin.  (She is looking at ways of adding that to her final year of undergraduate studies.)

Yes - you have to look at the individual programme.  What I gave above is the basics for this university, but academic assessors will be looking at the content and level of the qualifications expressed in the CV and transcript to see if there is a good fit for the particular programme.  For example, a masters in psychology might require a particular number of undergraduate psychology credits and a particular GPA.

Each programme should have a page that details any requirements.  Here's one for social work:

http://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/media/postgraduate/admissions-statements/2017/socialwork.pdf