Menu

What area of the US do you live in?

DawnM

Areas of the USA you currently live in  

217 members have voted

1. 1. Where do you live? You can pick more than one.

• Along the Northern edge of the US, bordering Canada
    • On the East Coast
    • In the South East
    • In the North East
    • In the mid-West
    • In the West but not on the coast
    • In the South West
    • On the West Coast
    • In Texas
    • I do not live in the United States and don't call it home
    • I live outside the US but have lived in a US state in the past or am from the US
    • I live in the North West

Just a silly poll, but I am curious where the majority of WTM folks live.

I am asking about where you CURRENTLY live or have most currently lived, if you live, or have lived in the USA.

If you fit more than one category, I allowed for multiple choices.

I am sure I missed something, so if you could just tell me what fits closest and 

I am so amused that Texas got it's own option.

Heck yeah we do! :) It's hard not to though because you can be considered South, Southeast, or West depending on which part you're in. 

I chose Midwest because that was the closest, but geographically considering climatology as well, Great Lakes Region is much more accurate.

Yeah, I'd be interested in what people call the region where they live. I chose West Coast and Northwest, but 'round these parts we call it the Pacific Northwest. PNW obviously includes Oregon and Washington, some people say Idaho, Arctic Mama says Alaska too, and very northern CA would probably love to be part of us instead of CA.

Technically we are the Pacific Northwest, but we also border Canada and are faaaar Northwest. Alaska's tough to classify given the non-contiguous nature.

You should get your own category too. And Hawaii. 

Yes, that's crazy.

Maybe we could redo the poll with just one of those pictures linked?  Then we would all be working with the same definition.

• Like 2

Anyone who hasn't figured out we're in PA hasn't been reading threads for very long.  I voted North East.

In a couple of years though... Caribbean at least part of the time!  :coolgleamA: (assuming all goes as planned)

In a different poll we could do individual states as there are three questions allowed and 20 answers per question... one of each would have to be "not in this category."  There should be 7 extra to cover huge swaths of other areas like Canada, Europe, etc.  We could probably leave out Antarctica.  ;)

Just saying... if someone were to want to type it all out.

• Like 4

I said Southeast but looking at those maps someone linked further up the thread, I saw that some maps consider Louisiana and Arkansas part of the Southwest.  NO NO NO.  Both of those states are southern states.  They most definitely have nothing to do with the Southwest which has predominant themes of Hispanic culture, Indian culture, and Rancher culture.

• Like 2

Technically we are the Pacific Northwest, but we also border Canada and are faaaar Northwest. Alaska's tough to classify given the non-contiguous nature.

I think Alaska and Hawaii should get their own category...like Texas.  ;)

Arctic Mama, we can make this more complicated: Are you closer to the Pacific or the Bering Sea or are you straddling the Aleutians between these two bodies of water? :)

No matter what map we use, I am West Coast.

Edited by Liz CA

I voted Midwest because I live in Indiana. But I moved here from Texas. I'd rather still choose Texas. However I do t refer to my new state as being Midwest. I refer to it as the north. Because compared to Texas it is very far north. And it's cold. So I live in the north.

• Like 1

Considering the title of your thread, "What area of the US do you live in?" I'm pretty sure people who live outside the US will be unlikely to click on your thread, and take part in your poll.

Just a silly poll, but I am curious where the majority of WTM folks live.

I am asking about where you CURRENTLY live or have most currently lived, if you live, or have lived in the USA.

If you fit more than one category, I allowed for multiple choices.

I am sure I missed something, so if you could just tell me what fits closest and 

It's weird how specific my instincts were reading the question. I was inclined to think "desert southwest-low desert."  Most readers wouldn't understand the distinction.  It makes me realize how very generalized my ideas of other regions probably are.  Like when I said in front of my dad that Maine was part of New England.  Nope.  New England is a cultural distinction to him-not a geographic one and he doesn't think of himself as being from  New England and is offended when people make that mistake. 

• Like 1

Considering the title of your thread, "What area of the US do you live in?" I'm pretty sure people who live outside the US will be unlikely to click on your thread, and take part in your poll.

That's fine.  I was specifically interested in the US and where people are, but I also know that people like to answer polls so I did create a category for those not in the US so they could participate.

• Like 2