Menu

Looking for a book recommendation for the Bible in historical context.

I want to understand when and where the events of the Bible happened, how they affected world history, and the significance of the events mentioned. I know sometimes one little sentence in Scripture is a reference to a huge historical event and sometimes I miss the reference.

I sent a free sample of the ASB to my kindle. thanks.

• Like 1

Slache,

The book you linked is fabulous! I highly recommend it. I send it last year as one of several books in a Christian Thought class in our co-op. The students thoroughly enjoyed the depth as well as the breadth of analysis Schaeffer offers regarding how western culture has responded to Christianity and then drifted away from it. I can't say enough good things about this book.

• Like 1

Slache,

The book you linked is fabulous! I highly recommend it. I send it last year as one of several books in a Christian Thought class in our co-op. The students thoroughly enjoyed the depth as well as the breadth of analysis Schaeffer offers regarding how western culture has responded to Christianity and then drifted away from it. I can't say enough good things about this book.

I own it and plan to read it this year. 

Oh, forgot to answer your original post...Tapestry of Grace year 1 does what you describe. Of course, it covers more than just history relayed in the Bible. But the teacher notes for history and for worldview really help tie everything together.

I'm so glad you suggested something inexpensive and convenient to use. :laugh: Seriously though, thanks for the replies. :)
  • Like 1

One of my favorite books, and highly regarded: Church History in Plain Language, by Bruce Shelley. It's not a Bible study; it's a history book. The context it gives to biblical and Christian history is fascinating.

Does it cover Israel as well as Christianity?

Does it cover Israel as well as Christianity?

It starts with the events recorded in the book of Acts. From there it concentrates on wherever the main power of the church was. So, it stays in the Middle East only until Europe becomes the seat of the church. It covers the Reformation and the split between East and West. While it is more than fair in laying bare the political nature of the split between East and West, the thread the book follows is primarily the Western Protestant church. I also feel it is more fair towards the Catholic faith than many other resources I have looked at, though I have heard both Catholics and Eastern Orthodox friends say they wish there was more coverage of those traditions over the long term. The other thing I love about this book is that it is honest in addressing corruption and power in the church, in all branches. It's a positive book, but a realistic one as well. The modern church receives attention also. Israel does not get a ton of attention--the book includes the early Jewish church, and it touches on the blatant racism and persecution of Jews during the Middle Ages and on forward in other times. I don't remember whether or not it hit the creation of Israel in the 1900s.

It's a pretty thick brick of a book--I would imagine the authors had to pick a storyline to follow simply because it's impossible to write everything in one book.

This book was the text for my high school Church History class. The authors have republished new editions with updated information over the years.

When I taught it to my daughter, I bought the Honors Church History pack from Hewitt. The other resources were quite helpful.

• Like 1

For Contextual events surrounding the events recorded in the Hebrew Bible and NT studies, I recommend these resources:

(these will appeal to different ages)

Free map resource: http://jewishhistory.huji.ac.il/links/maps.htm

The Temple Institute site has many helpful offerings (no pun intended)

The Jewish Study Bible from the Jewish Publication Society-the annotations and notes before the books are excellent

These two resources together:

The Jewish Annotated New Testament - edited by Dr. Amy-Jill Levine (featured Prof. in The Great Courses). Annotations from leading Jewish scholars: neither proselytizes for Christianity nor denigrates Judaism.

The New Testament: A Historical Introduction to the Early Christian Writings Prof. Bart Ehrman (Haven't read this-have watched lectures on Great Courses. Don't always agree on his conclusions, but he is very scholarly)

Wanderings: Chaim Potok's History of the Jews – a narrative telling of 4,000 yrs. Of Jewish History – High-school/Adult (personally loved this one-awesome, couldn't put it down)

The Time chart of History of Jewish History – Chartwell Books

Introduction to Jewish History – Seymour Rossel – ages 7-9 (Covering from Abraham to the Sages)

Understanding the Old Testament: An Introductory Atlas to the Hebrew Bible – Carta-Baruch Sarel

Understanding Biblical Kingdoms and Empires - Dr. Paul Wright

Purim and the Persian Empire: A Historical, Archaeological, and Geographical Perspective â€“ Yehuda Landy

Hazor: Rediscovery of a Great Citadel of the Bible – Yigael Yadin- archaeology -Middle school-adult

Jerusalem in the Time of Nehemiah – Leen Ritmeyer-ages 9+

From Sinai to Jerusalem: The Wanderings of the Holy Ark – Leen Ritmeyer – ages 9+

A House of Prayer for All Nations: The Holy Temple of Jerusalem – Rabbi Chaim Richman (Temple Institute)- ages 8+

or

The Holy Temple of Jerusalem - Rabbi Chaim Richman (Temple Institute) 

The Splendor of the Temple  - Alec Garrad

Expensive, but considered extraordinary: Carta's Illustrated Encyclopedia to the Holy Temple -Israel Ariel 

Understanding the New Testament: An Introductory Atlas - Dr. Paul Wright

Jerusalem in the Year 30 AD – Leen Ritmeyer (an archaeological architect)  â€“ ages 9+

The Ritual of the Temple in the Time of Christ – Leen Ritmeyer – ages 9+

NT contextual teachings

The Holy Epistle to the Galatians - D. Thomas Lancaster 

God-Fearers, Book - Toby Janicki

Late 1st Cen. and in the early 2nd Cen.:

The Last Days of the Fall of Jerusalem – Alfred Church

Masada: The Last Fortress - Gloria Miklowitz – ages 8+

The Story of Masada – Yigael Yadin – ages 11+- archaeology and primary documents

Bar-Kokhba: The Rediscovery of the Legendary Hero of the Last Jewish Revolt Against Imperial Rome – Yigael Yadin -archeology – Middle school-adult

Related Historical Fiction:

Hittite Warrior – Joanne Williamson – set 1200 BCE – ages 9-14

God King: A Story in the Days of King Hezekiah – Joanne Williamson -701 BCE

Victory on the Walls â€“ Frieda Hyman – 445 BCE-

Adara (during Elisha's time)- Beatrice Gormley- ages 8-12

Tirzah (in Egypt with Moses)- Lucille Travis – ages 8-12

The Hammer – Alfred J. Church – Maccabees – FREE

Other resources:

5000 Years of Jewish History in 5 Hours – R. Berel Wein audio lecture/cds (good stuff-disagree with his conclusion on Paul and if you listen further, on T. Jefferson and B. Franklin, but his specialty is Jewish History, not other types)

FREE:

Parables in Midrash: Narrative and Exegesis in Rabbinic Literature - Dr. David Stern ( describes its relation to similar tales in other literatures, including the parables of Jesus in the New Testament and kabbalistic parables.)-heavier reading

Judaism in the First Three Centuries of the Christian Era â€“ George Foote Moore – Three Vol. Work -highly regarded as unbiased and uses primary sources for research 

Books by Hershel Shanks, written from an archaeological perspective concerning: The Dead Sea Scrolls and Jerusalem

Other books by Dr. Amy Jill-Levine: Professor of New Testament and Jewish Studies Vanderbilt Divinity School (EX: The Misunderstood Jew)

Historian Brad H. Young has scholarly books of relevance

Church doctrinal effects upon Jewry over the centuries:

Our Hands Are Stained with Blood: The Tragic Story of the Church and the Jewish People â€“ Dr. Micheal Brown

A newer book of which I am aware of the author, but haven't read the material representing the New Perspective on Paul within Second Temple period history:

Paul within Judaism: Restoring the First-Century Context to the ApostleMark D. Nanos

Same author, more familiar book: 

The Mystery of Romans: The Jewish Context of Paul's Letters 

Others by Jewish scholars of note:

Paul Was Not a Christian: The Original Message of a Misunderstood Apostle -Pamela Eisenbaum( professor of Biblical studies and Christian origins at Iliff, and is associate faculty of the Center for Judaic Studies at the University of Denver)

and an interesting and controversial read by Talmudic Scholar Daniel Boyarin: 

The Jewish Gospels: The Story of the Jewish Christ

I know this is a lot, so I hope you enjoy researching through them to see what suits your needs best. At bare minimum, The Jewish Study Bible and the Jewish New Testament with its Commentary; an atlas, Wanderings by Potok, and the Timechart would be invaluable.

Edited by historymatters
  • Like 1

For Contextual events surrounding the events recorded in the Hebrew Bible and NT studies, I recommend these resources:

(these will appeal to different ages)

Free map resource: http://jewishhistory.huji.ac.il/links/maps.htm

The Temple Institute site has many helpful offerings (no pun intended)

The Jewish Study Bible from the Jewish Publication Society-the annotations and notes before the books are excellent

These two resources together:

The Jewish Annotated New Testament - edited by Dr. Amy-Jill Levine (featured Prof. in The Great Courses). Annotations from leading Jewish scholars: neither proselytizes for Christianity nor denigrates Judaism.

The New Testament: A Historical Introduction to the Early Christian Writings - Prof. Bart Ehrman (Haven't read this-have watched lectures on Great Courses. Don't always agree on his conclusions, but he is very scholarly)

Wanderings: Chaim Potok's History of the Jews – a narrative telling of 4,000 yrs. Of Jewish History – High-school/Adult (personally loved this one-awesome, couldn't put it down)

The Time chart of History of Jewish History – Chartwell Books

Introduction to Jewish History – Seymour Rossel – ages 7-9 (Covering from Abraham to the Sages)

Understanding the Old Testament: An Introductory Atlas to the Hebrew Bible – Carta-Baruch Sarel

Understanding Biblical Kingdoms and Empires - Dr. Paul Wright

Purim and the Persian Empire: A Historical, Archaeological, and Geographical Perspective – Yehuda Landy

Hazor: Rediscovery of a Great Citadel of the Bible – Yigael Yadin- archaeology -Middle school-adult

Jerusalem in the Time of Nehemiah – Leen Ritmeyer-ages 9+

From Sinai to Jerusalem: The Wanderings of the Holy Ark – Leen Ritmeyer – ages 9+

A House of Prayer for All Nations: The Holy Temple of Jerusalem – Rabbi Chaim Richman (Temple Institute)- ages 8+

or

The Holy Temple of Jerusalem - Rabbi Chaim Richman (Temple Institute)

The Splendor of the Temple - Alec Garrad

Expensive, but considered extraordinary: Carta's Illustrated Encyclopedia to the Holy Temple -Israel Ariel

Understanding the New Testament: An Introductory Atlas - Dr. Paul Wright

Jerusalem in the Year 30 AD – Leen Ritmeyer (an archaeological architect) – ages 9+

The Ritual of the Temple in the Time of Christ – Leen Ritmeyer – ages 9+

NT contextual teachings:

The Holy Epistle to the Galatians - D. Thomas Lancaster

God-Fearers, Book - Toby Janicki

Late 1st Cen. and in the early 2nd Cen.:

The Last Days of the Fall of Jerusalem – Alfred Church

Masada: The Last Fortress - Gloria Miklowitz – ages 8+

The Story of Masada – Yigael Yadin – ages 11+- archaeology and primary documents

Bar-Kokhba: The Rediscovery of the Legendary Hero of the Last Jewish Revolt Against Imperial Rome – Yigael Yadin -archeology – Middle school-adult

Related Historical Fiction:

Hittite Warrior – Joanne Williamson – set 1200 BCE – ages 9-14

God King: A Story in the Days of King Hezekiah – Joanne Williamson -701 BCE

Victory on the Walls – Frieda Hyman – 445 BCE-

Adara (during Elisha's time)- Beatrice Gormley- ages 8-12

Tirzah (in Egypt with Moses)- Lucille Travis – ages 8-12

The Hammer – Alfred J. Church – Maccabees – FREE

Other resources:

5000 Years of Jewish History in 5 Hours – R. Berel Wein audio lecture/cds (good stuff-disagree with his conclusion on Paul and if you listen further, on T. Jefferson and B. Franklin, but his specialty is Jewish History, not other types)

FREE:

Parables in Midrash: Narrative and Exegesis in Rabbinic Literature - Dr. David Stern ( describes its relation to similar tales in other literatures, including the parables of Jesus in the New Testament and kabbalistic parables.)-heavier reading

Judaism in the First Three Centuries of the Christian Era – George Foote Moore – Three Vol. Work -highly regarded as unbiased and uses primary sources for research

Books by Hershel Shanks, written from an archaeological perspective concerning: The Dead Sea Scrolls and Jerusalem

Other books by Dr. Amy Jill-Levine: Professor of New Testament and Jewish Studies Vanderbilt Divinity School (EX: The Misunderstood Jew)

Historian Brad H. Young has scholarly books of relevance

Church doctrinal effects upon Jewry over the centuries:

Our Hands Are Stained with Blood: The Tragic Story of the Church and the Jewish People – Dr. Micheal Brown

A newer book of which I am aware of the author, but haven't read the material representing the New Perspective on Paul within Second Temple period history:

Paul within Judaism: Restoring the First-Century Context to the Apostle - Mark D. Nanos

Same author, more familiar book:

The Mystery of Romans: The Jewish Context of Paul's Letters

Others by Jewish scholars of note:

Paul Was Not a Christian: The Original Message of a Misunderstood Apostle -Pamela Eisenbaum( professor of Biblical studies and Christian origins at Iliff, and is associate faculty of the Center for Judaic Studies at the University of Denver)

and an interesting and controversial read by Talmudic Scholar Daniel Boyarin:

The Jewish Gospels: The Story of the Jewish Christ

I know this is a lot, so I hope you enjoy researching through them to see what suits your needs best. At bare minimum, The Jewish Study Bible and the Jewish New Testament with its Commentary; an atlas, Wanderings by Potok, and the Timechart would be invaluable.

You are my new favorite person! Thank you so, so, so much!

You are my new favorite person! Thank you so, so, so much! 

That's very kind; you're welcome!

I thought I'd provide another Atlas alternative to help in your decision (it may be more updated and colorful than the others) and a book that goes more into some explaining about the laws, prophets, messianic prophecy, and wisdom lit. An intelligent and educated believer's complementary balance to some of what you'll find in the academics of the Jewish Study Bible.

Zondervan Essential Atlas of the Bible - Carl Rasmussen

A New Look at the Old Testament - Derek Leman ( warning, having heard him and read his other materials, his treatment of Creation may or may not jive with yours; just a heads-up)

BTW, I forgot to mention that the Jewish Study Bible comes from the Documentary Hypothesis school of Biblical literary analysis as opposed to Mosaic authorship, among other things. That doesn't change the historical realities, but it does change the belief of when and by whom books were written and/or compiled (ex: a I, II, and III Isaiah authorships, based historical reading of the text versus just a "one" Isaiah who wrote all of it). This may or may not be an issue for you. If it is, the JSB may not be a good fit. Let me know if that's an issue and I'll see what I can find to take it's place. 

Adding to the Jewish History category in survey style which may be useful to you (or parts of it for understanding) at some point:

Jewish Literacy Revised Ed: The Most Important Things to Know About the Jewish Religion, Its People, and Its History by Rabbi Joseph Telushkin

HTH

• Like 1

Mystery of History weaves the bible stories into the history lessons.  Meaning that we learned about Daniel in the lesson right after we learned about Aesop, because they were contemporaries historically.  

I'm not sure that it shows how the events in one country impacted those in another, but it does provide a timeline of when the bible things happened at the same time as non-bible events were going on.  

Like the Odyssey took place at the same time that the book of Ruth was taking place.  So while Odysseus was trying to get back to Penelope, Ruth was gleaning from Boaz's fields.

But...honestly I'd probably go with one of the recommendations listed above.  Just thought I'd point out the MOH does intertwine the bible with other historical events if you want one more option.  I believe you'd only need to get the first MOH book as that one ends with Jesus and there isn't much more to the bible after that.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I realize this is an older thread, but for anyone who is still interested, here is a book I will be using next fall for DD...

Historical & Chronological Context of the Bible by Bruce W. Gore. Dr. Gore also offers free video lectures of the book's content on YouTube, as well as comprehension questions and quizzes for the book on his website under "Download Teacher Aids"

• Like 1

I realize this is an older thread, but for anyone who is still interested, here is a book I will be using next fall for DD...

Historical & Chronological Context of the Bible by Bruce W. Gore. Dr. Gore also offers free video lectures of the book's content on YouTube, as well as comprehension questions and quizzes for the book on his website under "Download Teacher Aids"

Thanks! I'll check it out!