Menu

M. Cup help.... way tmi.

DesertBlossom

I tried a diva cup years ago and never could get it to work. I just bought a sckoon cup and have been anxiousl awaiting AF. 😶 But I am having the same problem. It doesn't matter how I put it in, or how far I shove it up, it slides back down to where I can feel it poking me. It's incredibly aggravating. I thought I had it once but after about 5 min I felt it slide down. I am trying not to rage. Am I doing something wrong?

And yes, I trimmed the stem. I can feel the whole base of the cup slightly protruding.

Edited by DesertBlossom

I turned my Diva cup inside out so there is no stem at all on the outside.

When I insert the cup, I don't think "up" I think "sideways". I squat down, completely, then I insert it toward the back of me, thinking "sideways". Now, it might not be completely sideways, but I don't think "up" and when I'm thinking "sideways", it goes in better. I'm getting it in at the correct angle that way.

The first 3 months it was hanging out (I checked with a mirror, and it was definately out) and I would get raw by the 3rd or 4th day, or ealier. Then on the 4th month...it magically stopped doing that. It wasn't at all hanging out. I think it just took me long time to really get it to work and to get the correct angle.

If I were you, I'd give it a few months if you haven't already. I'd read about a learning curve before I started and didn't really know what they meant. Now I do. There's something about lots of practice that makes it suddenly start working.

I have a diva cup and when I put it in, I fold it in half kind of and then when it's partially inside you get it to unfold and kind of suction itself to the walls and then I push it the rest of the way up. I think the suction part is important for keeping it up there? That's all I've got :P

• Like 1

I turned my Diva cup inside out so there is no stem at all on the outside.

When I insert the cup, I don't think "up" I think "sideways". I squat down, completely, then I insert it toward the back of me, thinking "sideways". Now, it might not be completely sideways, but I don't think "up" and when I'm thinking "sideways", it goes in better. I'm getting it in at the correct angle that way.

The first 3 months it was hanging out (I checked with a mirror, and it was definately out) and I would get raw by the 3rd or 4th day, or ealier. Then on the 4th month...it magically stopped doing that. It wasn't at all hanging out. I think it just took me long time to really get it to work and to get the correct angle.

If I were you, I'd give it a few months if you haven't already. I'd read about a learning curve before I started and didn't really know what they meant. Now I do. There's something about lots of practice that makes it suddenly start working.

I'm embarrassed to even ask you to clarify because I'm feeling like maybe I don't know my own anatomy well enough.... 😶 But sideways how? Like pointing at your back?

I'm embarrassed to even ask you to clarify because I'm feeling like maybe I don't know my own anatomy well enough.... 😶 But sideways how? Like pointing at your back?

No problem.  I'm a little blurry on how it all works, too.  Yes, I am sort of pointing the cup toward my back more than straight up.  When I push the cup in, I get the sense that I'm pushing towards my back rather than straight up toward the ceiling.  

Like Garbage, it didn't really work for me until I started pushing towards my back(I actually think towards my butt) and not pushing up.

Haha autocorect change Garga to garbage! The second time it changed it to gargantuan. I'm not fixing it!

Edited by hjffkj
  • Like 1

Like Garbage, it didn't really work for me until I started pushing towards my back(I actually think towards my butt) and not pushing up.

Haha autocorect change Garga to garbage! The second time it changed it to gargantuan. I'm not fixing it!

!!!!  :)

I agree - towards the bum! Are you getting suction? I've had that happen when not getting suction properly.

Also what SIZE Diva / Sckoon are you using? That can play a big role too. Too small and it will slide down, too big and it pushes where it should not. 

Are you on facebook? There is a great M. Cup group that I am part of that can help you triage what is wrong & {probably} find a better cup for you. 

Yup, aim it back toward your rear, straight up and in doesn't work at all for me, though I have a low and slightly prolapsed cervix, along with cystocele abd rectocele issues :o

Also, pushing down with your muscles, while having the cup folded, gets it up past the ring and sitting right. And then twisting the cup to unfold it.

I even tried this a couple times, but not while inserting it sideways. Maybe if I do both. I gave up for a while because I needed to run errands and having the thing poking me makes me want to punch something. 😆😶 I tried again and 10 minutes later I still can't feel it. That's progress. Though we'll see what happens when I get off the couch.

Also, I bought some cloth pads that I am using for the first time. I opted for the non-pul backed variety and they've leaked. 😬 But even despite the bulk they are much more comfortable than regular pads which irritate my skin.

• Like 1

I put mine inside out. No matter what I do right side out doesn't feel right. Also, I'm not sure if everyone can feel this or has this, but when I insert mine, there is something like a lip or ridge inside that I have to go past. If I don't go past that, it won't stay in the right place. It's kind of far and difficult to reach but once it's there, I'm good. It goes towards the back, and when I feel I'm past the ridge, I have to sort of twirl it before letting go. It took me a month or so to get the hang of it. 

• Like 2

No problem.  I'm a little blurry on how it all works, too.  Yes, I am sort of pointing the cup toward my back more than straight up.  When I push the cup in, I get the sense that I'm pushing towards my back rather than straight up toward the ceiling.  

Yes!  A quick Google search on anatomy helped me figure this one out.  When you sit your internal anatomy is more horizontal so pushing it more back instead of up makes a big difference!

Don't click unless you want an anatomically correct illustration....https://static1.squarespace.com/static/5254be44e4b0e9fd10b5bc42/t/538cccd6e4b0573d137a0eea/1401736415502/

Edited by Excelsior! Academy

Yes! A quick Google search on anatomy helped me figure this one out. When you sit your internal anatomy is more horizontal so pushing it more back instead of up makes a big difference!

Don't click unless you want an anatomically correct illustration....https://static1.squarespace.com/static/5254be44e4b0e9fd10b5bc42/t/538cccd6e4b0573d137a0eea/1401736415502/

That makes it look like it's supposed to sit really low near the vaginal opening. When it sits there, I can feel it and it drives me bonkers.

I'm another that flipped mine inside out because I can feel it no matter what I do when it's right side out. I push mine toward my lower back while inserting, and I push it up as far as it will go. In fact, the cup will never fill more than about 2/3 full before it starts leaking because apparently my cervix occupies some space in the cup. But I'd rather change an extra time or two during the day than feel it. I sort of "bear down" while pushing the cup into place.

Try some different insertion positions too. On my heavy days I like to do my first morning changeover in the shower and propping a foot up on the shower wall gives me an almost straight shot for getting it into the right place. IME Once you get the hang of inserting it in one position, it's easier to figure it out in other positions.

Edited by Forget-me-not

Silly question... have you made sure the holes aren't plugged? This seems to make a difference. Also, when I started, the insertions before lying down were a zillion times more successful than when I started moving around right away.

The cramping I get when it's too high. If I fold it first, then insert, then bear down, then when it twirls and unfolds, it's in the right spot.

Put your left foot in and shake it all about....

• Like 1

Good tips in this thread!  

I use the "punch down" folding method, which is described here.  And I find that WAY easier than the fold shown in the instruction manual.  

If you are leaking, also check to make sure your cervix is actually IN the cup (if you prefer to wear it high).  It can happen that your cervix gets wedged to the side and then the cup is serving no purpose.  You can check by reaching wayyyyy up there and running a finger around the outside of the rim to check that your cervix is not wedged over.  

• Like 1

I have used a cup for years, but I had to stop this year.

For some reason, I can't get it to stay in position any more.

I only occasionally had a problem with this before, but now it's a huge issue.  I've given up. I even bought a new cup just in case the problem was that my cup was too old to hold suction anymore, but that didn't fix the issue.

Before, I would only have a problem with a really bad sneeze or a coughing fit. Since August, I don't have to do anything to make it drop out of position. It drops out of position 15-30 minutes after insertion every time.