Menu

I hate science --3rd grade

bethben

I need something where my daughter can read the books, do a worksheet or something like that and is experiment light.  I am beyond frustrated with homeschool science experiments.  They seem to work 1/2 the time and most of the time are just frustrating and irritating.  She does well if she's on her own reading something.   I keep thinking, "We'll just go to the library and gets books of interest!", but due to a lot of factors, we never get to the library.  It's a time and energy thing along with hauling a child in a wheelchair around.  

I have Apologia which I think is too advanced for a third grader to read on her own.  I have thought about BJU press, but many people say that it's dependent upon the teacher manual to teach and enhance the lessons.  

Any suggestions?  

Fwiw my daughter is loving Mystery Science, she is in 4th grade this year and I got the free trial just as an extra. From what I've watched I've been impressed, I love how they set it up as a question and have them think about the topic. The extras for each topic add a lot of meat and she is constantly bringing up things she's learned in her lessons. There are experiments but often we don't bother unless we already have the supplies. She pretty much does it on her own, checking in with me here and there. There are evaluations if you want that kind of thing.

• Like 3

Have you checked to see if your library will deliver books? Many will, and hauling a kid in a wheelchair back and forth seems like a valid reason to utilize that service. Fwiw, I would totally be willing to cut all "experiments" for a 3rd grader that loves to read about science. It might be different for a kid that hates reading and needs the hands-on demo to understand, but it doesn't sound like this is the case for you.

My 2nd grader is fairly independent with mp astronomy. The mammals course looks to be pretty book-based too. If the library doesn't work out, you could pick up some of theused, old childcraft books. "About Animals" and "The Green Kingdom" would last awhile.

• Like 1

Sounds like Mr. Q if you really want curriculum. Personally I'd purchase a few well-recommended living books and have her read from them daily. Our even get the Burgess animal books free on Kindle.

This.

I don't do ""experiments."" Except as they come up in real life.

They aren't experiments if you know exactly what is going to happen. They are demonstrations, and guess what? People on YouTube do demonstrations sooooo much better than I do.

I need something where my daughter can read the books, do a worksheet or something like that and is experiment light.  I am beyond frustrated with homeschool science experiments.  They seem to work 1/2 the time and most of the time are just frustrating and irritating.  She does well if she's on her own reading something.   I keep thinking, "We'll just go to the library and gets books of interest!", but due to a lot of factors, we never get to the library.  It's a time and energy thing along with hauling a child in a wheelchair around.  

I have Apologia which I think is too advanced for a third grader to read on her own.  I have thought about BJU press, but many people say that it's dependent upon the teacher manual to teach and enhance the lessons.  

Any suggestions?  

We use Science: A Closer Look textbooks with the "Reading and Writing in Science" workbook. The book is clear, the workbook focuses on the big ideas and vocabulary, and the workbook is painless. I go over the chapter reviews and use the website for animations and quizzes, too. I have coordinated the lessons with BrainPop videos, TMBG Here Comes Science! videos (youtube), and some Mystery Science activities, and I have it all in a document so we just go down the list of activities in order.

Website here: https://www.macmillanmh.com/science/2008/student/index.html

Digital California standards versions on this thread: http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/472872-mcgraw-hill-science-textbook-workbook-lab-book-free-grade-1-6/

• Like 1

Ditto Mystery Science. We totally shelved the curriculum we'd planned to use because my kids love Mystery Science. I add library books to beef it up, but I request all library books online and pick them up once a week or so. I have a preschooler with an immune deficiency who is mostly homebound so I avoid taking him out if at all possible. 

Edited by poikar

Ditto Mystery Science. We totally shelved the curriculum we'd planned to use because my kids love Mystery Science. I add library books to beef it up, but I request all library books online and pick them up once a week or so. I have a preschooler with an immune deficiency who is mostly homebound so I avoid taking him out if at all possible. 

Try some more of the Mystery Science

It is the best program for elementary age kids, and so simple to implement.

I just hope they keep putting out lessons so dd can continue on with it. I really haven't added reading (other than the extras) for dd this year but she is not an especially strong reader. Assuming we continue on next year I will be adding in some books for her, requesting them from home works so much better for us too.  I don't really feel we are missing anything by not doing the experiments and dd does it pretty well independently.

Edited by soror

My youngest doesn't think we did science unless he does an experiment. (Some of the Mystery Science "experiments" aren't experiments in the scientific sense. They are more "investigations.")

The only Mystery Science episodes which have been a hit have been the upper grade level ones cherry-picked. I've never done a science program with the two boys - they've always just checked out books, done science kits (mostly with dad or on their own), and asked lots and lots of questions. Turns out that most of the Mystery Science lessons - they already know "the answer" that MS is trying to point out before they watch the videos. (Who knew they knew so much science already?!)

Does she WANT to do science? Does she want to read about interesting science topics? Does she want experiments? Does she just want to do hands-on science topics?

If not, you really don't have to do science at that age if your state doesn't require it.

• Like 1

She does like reading about science.  Mostly animals right now.  She does like doing hands on stuff, but I really hate it with a passion mostly because there's a good chance they (the experiments) won't work.  We sat down and requested a lot of animal books on animals that she wants to learn about.  I guess I'll just make sure she reads about animals and do mystery science as we've been doing it.  She enjoys that also.  I just am so much better when I have a set plan in place.  Too bad someone hasn't made a youtube science schedule with books.  

Looks like you've found your answer, but I'll just chime in about BJU science.  I'm doing 4th grade science with my 3rd and 5th dc, and its going pretty much as you described your wishlist: they read the section on their own and complete the workbook.  I haven't found it teacher dependent, although I have the TM and look at it occasionally to plan ahead for any activities that we might want to do.  They work independently, and then we go over the workbook page altogether in the afternoon (which usually only takes 5 min).  A lot of the suggestions in the TM would be great for a classroom, but I don't feel like they are necessary for homeschoolers.  

I've been very pleased so far.  The readings are at an appropriate level and length, and I like the scope of topics covered.

• Like 1

Piggy backing on this topic. If you sign up for Mystery Science, do you have to choose the subject(s) or do they automatically assign one based on grade or...? I am viewing the website for the first time and I see a lot of options. I'm a bit overwhelmed, but very interested. My child would be entering 4th grade and we have not been consistent with science programs.

Thanks!!

Piggy backing on this topic. If you sign up for Mystery Science, do you have to choose the subject(s) or do they automatically assign one based on grade or...? I am viewing the website for the first time and I see a lot of options. I'm a bit overwhelmed, but very interested. My child would be entering 4th grade and we have not been consistent with science programs.

Thanks!!

I just ask my dd what she wants to do and write it down on her schedule, 1 lesson per week- first-day exploration, 2nd activity(if she wants to/we have the stuff) and Extras on the 3rd Day. She picks and chooses as she wants.  I believe it will automatically bring up the next lesson as you go through them if you don't want to choose.

Edited by soror
  • Like 1

I just ask my dd what she wants to do and write it down on her schedule, 1 lesson per week- first-day exploration, 2nd activity(if she wants to/we have the stuff) and Extras on the 3rd Day. She picks and chooses as she wants.  I believe it will automatically bring up the next lesson as you go through them if you don't want to choose.

So all those things are accessible for each grade? I'm looking at the page where they have a bunch of little squares with things like "Power of Flowers" "Waves of Sound" "Spaceship Earth" etc.

• Like 1

So all those things are accessible for each grade? I'm looking at the page where they have a bunch of little squares with things like "Power of Flowers" "Waves of Sound" "Spaceship Earth" etc.

Each of the modules(Power of Flowers, Waves of Sound, Spaceship Earth- etc) is suggested for a range of grades/ages. So, far we've just picked modules that matched her grade but you can pick any of them you please. Whatever modules were on there when you sign up are free for you to use, any added after are locked. Under each module there are 3-5 lessons(1 do one lesson over the course of a week). Depending on the age range you are looking at there are well more than enough lessons to get you through a year, with more being added. I hope that is clear- it is really easy to use, you just have to get used to their organization. I just explored around until I got a feel for it and then asked her what looked good.

My daughter did all the modules and lessons on plants(her request) and is now working on rocks. She has not had a lot of science yet as she isn't a big reader/science nut like her brother but she has really enjoyed it alot. We do Nature Study(Exploring Nature w/ Children for the second year- very easy to use and fabulous) on Thursdays as that is an interest of ours, otherwise that is all her science.

Edited by soror
  • Like 1

I am not a science person either. My kids felt Mr. Q was too silly, and they didn't really like him much. I went with Pandia Press's REAL Science Odyssey for life science for my second grader this year, and we both love it. It's so easy to use. A page to read (that is engaging and informative without being too silly or too in depth), and a couple of labs/activities to do. Sometimes we do them, and sometimes we don't, but most of them are pretty easy. Sometimes we add a supplemental book or two, and sometimes we don't. But it's getting done, and we are both pleased enough that I got chemistry for next year for him. He's not a super fluent reader yet, so I read it to him, but by next year, he might be able to do it on his own, with a little help with the projects (although I probably won't have him do it independently because I'll want his brother, two years younger, to listen in as well).

• Like 1

So right there with you today. Decided to do an experiment yesterday. Took almost all day, and there are still things we have to finish today. Took forever to start because I needed a ton of stuff from the store for it like red cabbage and several types of juice and Distilled water. My kitchen is a mess now. My preschooler than wanted to do his own experiment so I had to come up with a baking soda vinegar balloon thing for him, and we barely got math done. I hate science.

We use Science: A Closer Look textbooks with the "Reading and Writing in Science" workbook. The book is clear, the workbook focuses on the big ideas and vocabulary, and the workbook is painless. I go over the chapter reviews and use the website for animations and quizzes, too. I have coordinated the lessons with BrainPop videos, TMBG Here Comes Science! videos (youtube), and some Mystery Science activities, and I have it all in a document so we just go down the list of activities in order.

Website here: https://www.macmillanmh.com/science/2008/student/index.html

Digital California standards versions on this thread: http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/472872-mcgraw-hill-science-textbook-workbook-lab-book-free-grade-1-6/

. Do you have a picture of the workbook? A place to find an online schedule? The exact title? These r the books I own... go figure.c0bc67422e582202562209d9f33126db.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You could keep using the Apologia (as a spine), hit up the library for books covering the same topic, but at her reading level. For each lesson, you could also have her watch a youtube video covering the topic after she reads. There are several Apologia playlists on youtube. You can even find youtube videos that do some of the experiments. We are doing Chemistry and Physics right now and found awesome videos that the kids are loving. 

. Do you have a picture of the workbook? A place to find an online schedule? The exact title? These r the books I own... go figure.c0bc67422e582202562209d9f33126db.jpg

Yes, that is the series! The workbooks are really cheap, and shipping is cheap & fast. I bought them directly through McGraw-Hill.

Grade 3 Reading & Writing in Science workbook: http://www.mheducation.com/prek-12/product/science-closer-look-grade-3-reading-writing-science-workbook-mcgraw-hill-education/0022840737.html

Activity Lab Book: http://www.mheducation.com/prek-12/product/science-closer-look-grade-3-activity-lab-book-mcgraw-hill-education/0022840117.html

Grade 1 Reading & Writing in Science workbook: http://www.mheducation.com/prek-12/product/science-closer-look-grade-1-reading-writing-science-workbook-mcgraw-hill-education/0022840710.html

Activity Lab Book: http://www.mheducation.com/prek-12/product/science-closer-look-grade-1-activity-lab-book-mcgraw-hill-education/0022840087.html

This would require library trips, but for my son's 4th grade science I had a list of "science topics" like earthquakes, planets, volcanos, insects, etc. Every week (but you could go every 3 weeks or for however long you can have books--I can have books for many, many weeks if I renew them online) I'd gather every book available at the library on that topic at his grade level.

Then every couple of days, he'd read one of the books on his own (I wasn't able to sit with him for science that year.). His assignment was to draw something (anything) from the book that interested him and write a caption for the drawing.

Experiments at that age are usually horrid. My oldest son is finally in high school and his biology labs are preeeeetty awesome (but very expensive!), so it does get better. But K-8th labs were always lame, IMHO.

If you want to do some labs, then I think you'll just have to do a lot of research and only do the ones that seem to be decent. You can probably tell by now which ones will be duds and which ones have a shot at working. You might just have to do fewer labs, since so few of them seem to actually work at that age. You'll have to read through a bunch of "Science experiments!" books from the library or online and just pick 3 or so from each book that look promising.

Edited by Garga
  • Like 3

As far as a schedule, we do science about 3 days a week. I usually have my son read the lesson and then fill out the outline on one day. Then the next day we do science I have him do the vocab/cloze pages as review. Sometimes we do the next lesson/outline on the same day, and sometimes we save it for the next. There is plenty of time to finish the book in a school year if you aim for no more than 3 weeks per chapter.

I just bumped my son up a grade level so we are starting at the beginning of the new book close to the end of the semester. We will pick up the pace and finish over the summer if we need to. If we take no more than 2 weeks per chapter then we should be fine.

Do u use both the books? All of the workbooks or pick and choose? Do u have a schedule or have you found one to work through the books?

I don't often use the lab book. You can easily skip it. The reading & writing book has an outline (2-3 pages), vocabulary (1 page) and cloze activity (1 page) for each lesson. I skip the writing assignments in the workbook. At the end of each chapter there is a multiple choice chapter vocab "test". As a said in my other reply, each book has 12 chapters (as far as I know), so if you have a whole 36 weeks then you can do a chapter over three weeks, which is kind of a leisurely pace. To finish in a semester, you would do a chapter over about 1.5 weeks.

Have you checked to see if your library will deliver books? Many will, and hauling a kid in a wheelchair back and forth seems like a valid reason to utilize that service. Fwiw, I would totally be willing to cut all "experiments" for a 3rd grader that loves to read about science. It might be different for a kid that hates reading and needs the hands-on demo to understand, but it doesn't sound like this is the case for you.

My 2nd grader is fairly independent with mp astronomy. The mammals course looks to be pretty book-based too. If the library doesn't work out, you could pick up some of theused, old childcraft books. "About Animals" and "The Green Kingdom" would last awhile.

:iagree: I used to work in a library and we had this free service available. It was staffed by caring volunteers, who delivered books (and also sometimes helped patrons place books on hold via computer). Please be sure to check this out.

As to your science-related frustration, I totally get it. I had an epiphany the other day. I realized why there are two subjects that stress me out more than others do. Those subjects are Science and Art, and I suppose the "ideal" that I have in mind is that they are always "hands-on" and highly experiential. This makes them different from the way we do other things.

For example, for our Bible lessons, we just open up CLE Bible and our Bibles, read, answer the questions, discuss, and that's it.

For History, we read SOTW, do the mapwork, discussion questions, and complete the quiz. On another day, we read a book from the History Book Basket, practice our timeline cards (Veritas Press), and work on our wall timeline. Done.

For Literature, we read aloud from chapter books, discuss what we're reading, and talk about literary elements. Done.

With Science, it's different. For the Science lesson, we're going to read a little snippet of an abstract concept (about, say, diatomic molecules). Then, to "demonstrate" this, we need epsom salt, tincture of iodine, cornstarch, a small Ziploc bag, a 2-liter plastic bottle (we never drink soda pop!), gravel, sand, cotton balls, white distilled vinegar, baking soda, a small cork, an eye dropper or pipette, steel wool, a match, a 12-inch piece of string, duct tape, a Swiss army knife... (only kidding, but you get the idea). And you are right, half the time the "experiments" don't really turn out they way they are supposed to, so that's a bit frustrating.

Art seems to be much the same way, but we're working on getting into our groove with that one, so I'm not complaining too much. It does help when the kids are old enough to do most or all of their own clean up!

I think it is not only possible, but perhaps preferable, to take yourself and your daughter off the hook for doing "labs" at this age. She's not in junior high school. It's 3rd grade. For us, at this point, we do some Science lessons with "just books" and some Science lessons with labs, but for 3rd grade, if the labs are frustrating you, it's okay to let them go for now.

If I were in your shoes, I wouldn't purchase another Science "curriculum." Instead, I'd make up my own agenda and happily read. You could read through sections of Science books from the library, or purchase Science books to start building up your home library. Let's Read and Find Out science books are a good place to start. HTH.

https://www.rainbowresource.com/prodlist.php?subject=Science/11&category=Let%92s+Read+and+Find+Out+Science/2871

Edited by Sahamamama2
  • Like 1

This would require library trips, but for my son's 4th grade science I had a list of "science topics" like earthquakes, planets, volcanos, insects, etc. Every week (but you could go every 3 weeks or for however long you can have books--I can have books for many, many weeks if I renew them online) I'd gather every book available at the library on that topic at his grade level.

Then every couple of days, he'd read one of the books on his own (I wasn't able to sit with him for science that year.). His assignment was to draw something (anything) from the book that interested him and write a caption for the drawing.

Experiments at that age are usually horrid. My oldest son is finally in high school and his biology labs are preeeeetty awesome (but very expensive!), so it does get better. But K-8th labs were always lame, IMHO.

If you want to do some labs, then I think you'll just have to do a lot of research and only do the ones that seem to be decent. You can probably tell by now which ones will be duds and which ones have a shot at working. You might just have to do fewer labs, since so few of them seem to actually work at that age. You'll have to read through a bunch of "Science experiments!" books from the library or online and just pick 3 or so from each book that look promising.

:iagree: I totally agree -- most "labs" for this age range are not worth the time it takes to do them. Sometimes we'll read the lab instructions and get the gist of it, without actually doing it. Other times, I find a YouTube video showing how it's done, without taking the time to get all the things, LOL. Every now and then, there is something worth doing (my girls are 4th, 4th, and 6th, though, so they get more out of it -- and they clean up!). I also send my kids on a scavenger hunt for the stuff, and if they can find it all, we can do the "experiment." Very motiving. I drink tea, they find the stuff. :laugh:

I agree with Garga, though. It's a good idea at this age to get out books and let the student READ. I do believe they learn so much this way, along with the notebooking. My girls do something similar to this, and have for a few years now. They read from our "Science Center" (collection of science books) and make notebook pages (one every two weeks). This could be writing only, a diagram (labelled), a drawing (labelled), a chart (labelled), or any combination of the above. They also have a section of their Science binders for Nature Study, and that gets done whenever it gets done.

I love Garga's idea of reading through Science topics with library books. Put the books in their own special place (shelf, basket, empty dresser drawer), and let her read her choice whenever "Science" is assigned. Notebooking pages. :hurray: Done.

We also did get a collection of things, though. Magnets -- on the shelf, just left there. A rock collection, again just left out for exploration. Magnifying glasses, with things to look at. Tree bark, acorns, leaves, feathers, a flower press, seashells, a snake skin, fox fur, owl pellets, and so on. No "labs" with these, just "out there." Plants, a spider in a critter keeper, beans in cups. That's better any day than "labs." HTH.

Edited by Sahamamama2
  • Like 1

I don't often use the lab book. You can easily skip it. The reading & writing book has an outline (2-3 pages), vocabulary (1 page) and cloze activity (1 page) for each lesson. I skip the writing assignments in the workbook. At the end of each chapter there is a multiple choice chapter vocab "test". As a said in my other reply, each book has 12 chapters (as far as I know), so if you have a whole 36 weeks then you can do a chapter over three weeks, which is kind of a leisurely pace. To finish in a semester, you would do a chapter over about 1.5 weeks.

books ordered and refocus found. Thx!