Menu

How best to use Singapore for review next semester

Trilliumlady

My DS 7 is in first. Had Saxon level one last year and did fine, tested into 1b for Singapore. Has been doing pretty fine with it, some parts we have taken a bit slower but overall good. We have standards edition, just using HIG, textbook and his workbook. He will be finishing up with this sometime in January I think and I am wondering where to go here for him. I don't really want to push into level two I don't think, that might be too much. I feel like I want to review what he has done so far, esp as this was the first semester with SM methods.

Thoughts......

Get the level 1b extra practice book and work though it, without the level 1a.

Combine this (or just one or the other on its own) with level 1 challenging word problems (if I did this, not sure which edition would be best).

Do something entirely differently? I don't really want to purchase anything completely new again, for my peace of mind I would do best not switching things up too much.....

Any other thoughts? How would you fill this interim?

Pick up the IP for 1B and CWP1. Once he has done those, there should be no issue with him starting 2A.

I have the extra practice book and while it is good for my kid who literally needs more practice of each concept (as in, needs 2-3 more workbook pages to cement each concept) , I think the IP would go far to extend and stretch your student and get him ready for 2A.

We worked through the IP practice book, which I think is actually a bigger challenge than going straight to 2A. (We also use Standards but did use the IP.)

What I found was more fun for my child was that I went through Singapore 1 on my own to recall the concepts I wanted to practice/review and then we played games for each one. So every day I would just pull out our math game box (decks of cards, dice, Learning Resources type games, etc.) and we'd play a game together. That way we had a nice vacation from worksheets and workbooks.