Menu

Feeling extremely inadequate (again)

I'm wondering if I'm not doing enough for my kids (specifically the 11 year-old).   

My 11 year-old is working at a beginning college level in this one subject (nothing else).  I'm paying a teacher to work with her once a week.  She is learning a lot, really likes the teacher, enjoys the subject (she wants to major in it in college), gets really excited when it's time to go, etc.  I can't put her in any classes with other kids, because we did that and she wasn't learning anything (and ironically, she would get frustrated because they were "working too fast").  No one seems to offer high school classes in this subject, except the public schools (and I was told the quality wasn't very good anyway).  I can barely afford the tutor.

Here we are at, "I feel like I'm not doing enough to help my kid and I don't know what to do."

Going through our public school system is not going to happen.  They do not like homeschoolers here at ALL.  Our school actually called CPS on my homeschooling neighbor down the street...their average ACT is something like an 18 ??...so that's completely out of the question.  My kids aren't going to be ok there.

Someone did suggest to me that she try for a specialty private school, but we can't afford that and she wouldn't want to be away from home anyway.  She still spends hours and hours playing with the 9 year-old.

She's only 11.  Shouldn't I be content that she's working with a tutor and call it a day?  Why is this bothering me? 

Also, I'm wondering if maybe I should stop posting on this forum and read from a forum that specializes in gifted kids (does Hoagies have an active forum?).    :sad:  

I am not there in your shoes, but have a feeling one day we will be.

Anyway, I have found that my kid is very vocal about his needs.  If he doesn't feel stimulated, he will let me know!  If it's too much, he'll go do something else.  This is the kid that searched out his own curriculum and possible schools to attend.  If he would turn 11 and be satisfied (for the moment) with a tutor, that's what we'll do.  We'd search out something else when that ended...and then something else...

• Like 1

Anyway, I have found that my kid is very vocal about his needs.  If he doesn't feel stimulated, he will let me know!  

When mine is bored, she'll get herself in trouble!   :D  Probably another reason public school is a bad idea for us.

• Like 1

What is the subject she is studying with a tutor?  Is it possible that instead of paying to work with a tutor, you could find a mentor in the community who works in the field of interest?

It's Fine Arts.  I *think* it's called Studio Art, specifically.  I have a biology degree, so I am completely clueless about this subject.

She is to the point where she can paint portraits of people from pictures.  She paints landscapes, winter scenes, etc.  She can sketch someone's portrait.  She knows how to do layering with colors, shadows, shading...it's really incredible.  She can also recognize some painters' work - like the more well-known ones.  In one day, she will probably spend about 2-3 hours on painting/sketching.  We just leave her stuff at the dinner table and eat around it.   :001_unsure:   She has a trail of art stuff all over the kitchen counters.  She plays for awhile and then goes over to the dinner table and paints...and then leaves to play...and returns to paint.  

I did have a talk with her tutor last week and she gave me some advice on stuff she needs to work on for high school.  She has never tried charcoal.  Also, the lady says she needs some exposure to sculpting (but I have no clue if that's possible to do at home??).  The lady said we need to research portfolios at some point and how to put them together. 

I am also trying to figure out what her high school is supposed to look like.   :confused:

It's Fine Arts.  I *think* it's called Studio Art, specifically.  I have a biology degree, so I am completely clueless about this subject.

The lady said we need to research portfolios at some point and how to put them together. 

I am also trying to figure out what her high school is supposed to look like.   :confused:

Do you have an art center in your area where your D could take classes with other artists?  I live in a rural area, but we have an art center that offers a multitude of art classes that cover a wide-range of mediums.  These classes are also grouped by ability, not age.

An art center would be a good place for your D to meet other artists.

I am not sure what you mean when you say you are trying to figure out what high school is supposed to look like? 

• Like 2

Gypsum can be made at home and used for sculpture (and so does wood)

We have 1 liter cartons her for milk or juice, and these are often used for a first sculpture project.

The Higschool Arts track in Belgium is still college prep here, but with less foreign languages / math / sciences compared with a languages or math or science track.

They have techniques lessons, theory lessons (composotion, color, history)

• Like 2

I think that maybe it's bothering you just because you don't know it...you're not in that world. IOW, it doesn't sound like it's bothering you because you haven't thought about it and are completely neglecting this aspect of your daughter's abilities.

Look at what you said:

She is learning a lot, really likes the teacher, enjoys the subject (she wants to major in it in college), gets really excited when it's time to go, etc

What else do you want for her?  What else is there?

Sounds like you're right on the money, and you're just confronting the fact that AL kids can be intense and being responsible for their educations is intimidating!

Do you have an art center in your area where your D could take classes with other artists?  I live in a rural area, but we have an art center that offers a multitude of art classes that cover a wide-range of mediums.  These classes are also grouped by ability, not age.

An art center would be a good place for your D to meet other artists.

I am not sure what you mean when you say you are trying to figure out what high school is supposed to look like? 

Hmmm...  I don't know.  There are art schools here for kids, but I don't know about art centers.  Maybe I need to do some googling.  I'm in Texas and there really isn't a lot of educational stuff where we live.  Everything is very sports-centered where we live.  We looked for a math team one year for my oldest daughter and couldn't find anything.

High school - as in - what classes should she take in high school?  This art stuff seems time-consuming.  Will she have time to take 4 years of math, too?  (for example)

• Like 1

Hmmm...  I don't know.  There are art schools here for kids, but I don't know about art centers.  Maybe I need to do some googling.  I'm in Texas and there really isn't a lot of educational stuff where we live.  Everything is very sports-centered where we live.  We looked for a math team one year for my oldest daughter and couldn't find anything.

High school - as in - what classes should she take in high school?  This art stuff seems time-consuming.  Will she have time to take 4 years of math, too?  (for example)

Is she planning on going to an art school?  If so, I would research what admission requirements those schools have. 

If she is planning on going to a "traditional" college, they all pretty much have similar minimum requirements, and they will expect your D to study the "traditional" subjects along with her art.

Is she planning on going to an art school?  If so, I would research what admission requirements those schools have. 

If she is planning on going to a "traditional" college, they all pretty much have similar minimum requirements, and they will expect your D to study the "traditional" subjects along with her art.

So far, we are planning to go to a regular university.  They have a university here that is similar to a classical school.  There's a Great Books/Fine Arts focus and I'm looking into that one.

• Like 1

Here, I'd suggest the art college. They have kids' classes-but more importantly, are willing and able to put talented kids in their adult classes early. I know of at least two here-one of whom is actually behind grade level academically due to severe learning disabilities, but started taking college level art classes at age 9.

The other possibility is...do any local colleges have art programs? If so, we found that "Non-Degree" is kind of a magic wand that makes restrictions on dual enrollment go away for a kid who can show proof that they have met prerequisites. For art, it may be tougher, though-DD was able to get accepted for non-degree at two local schools based on test scores, but she's a science kid, so the SAT and ACT are more directly relevant.

FWIW, I'm with you. Asynchronity stinks. I also don't know that "gifted" helps much. Even programs designed for gifted seem to be focused on kids who are advanced across the board.

Edited by dmmetler
  • Like 3

I don't know if this would help any, but we have enjoyed the Great Courses drawing class (How to Draw with David Brody), and I'm on the verge of signing up for online drawing classes at this website, too: http://www.lizsteel.com/ (Even without the classes, there are lots of good free mini-lessons and tips and inspiration on her site.)

Maybe you could do some supplementing just with some nice art history books from the library? No curriculum, no agenda--just lots and lots of feeding her visual imagination. And maybe a cheapie camera if she doesn't already have one?

Also, does she ever take her painting outside? Plein air painting? That might be a new thing to explore if she hasn't already. Here there are plein air meetup groups and people just show up at a park and paint wildflowers or whatever--she might meet some interesting kindred spirits that way.

She sounds great! I love kids with all-consuming interests!

ETA: This has been niggling at me for the last couple of hours-- I'm worried that my mention of "agenda" might possibly have come across in a way I hadn't intended when I quickly typed this this morning. All I meant was that with a curriculum for which I have spent hard-earned dollars, I sometimes have to fight the feeling that I need to use it even if it doesn't seem to be resonating all that well with the child for whom it was intended. You had mentioned that budget was a consideration, and I only wanted to suggest feeling free just to explore without having to feel obligated to do somebody else's assignments or constrained by somebody else's schedule that you'd had to pay for! I hope that's clear--I would in no way wish to say something hurtful.

Edited by Emerald Stoker
  • Like 1

At her age I took art classes with adults through a university. The first few seconds of life drawing were a little shocking but only because I hadn't been aware of what "life drawing" meant. ;) My parents were otherwise occupied and not terribly interested in my arts education (though encouraging and happy to help financially), so I was the one to find lessons and mentors. I do think being in a community of other artists is wonderful for the exchange of ideas, and that it would be great if she could find that if that is what she wants. I always encourage art history. You can look up syllabi online and see what resources profs are using. I often do this to find books and articles in subjects that interest DS.

I don't think kids need to do all activities with age peers. If she has time to hang out and play with kids (if that is something she needs - some children don't) and otherwise enjoy being an eleven year old, I don't see the problem. You are providing her with instruction, so I wouldn't worry about it. If this is her passion, I think it needs to be driven by her and only facilitated by you.

ETA. Have you ever heard of sketchcrawl? This is a worldwide community of artists, professional and amateur, of all ages, who get together with other members to sketch. There are particular days where the entire community goes out to sketch, but also local meetings throughout the year. Even if there is no group in your area, your daughter might be interested in looking at other members' sketches, and she is always welcome to post her own sketches.http://www.sketchcrawl.com/category/updates/

Edited by bibiche
  • Like 5

Look into a local Art School (schools that teach teens art - not colleges). They are like dance schools locally and most of them are really good.

Some of the instructors at my local Art School are also teachers at the Art Department in the CC and local university. They are really good and work with the student in building up portfolios for admissions to advanced art programs etc. Even if you are rural, try to find an Art School that she can go to once or twice a month and that might help her develop her skills more.

Edited by mathnerd
  • Like 2

I don't know if this would help any, but we have enjoyed the Great Courses drawing class (How to Draw with David Brody), and I'm on the verge of signing up for online drawing classes at this website, too: http://www.lizsteel.com/ (Even without the classes, there are lots of good free mini-lessons and tips and inspiration on her site.)

Maybe you could do some supplementing just with some nice art history books from the library? No curriculum, no agenda--just lots and lots of feeding her visual imagination. And maybe a cheapie camera if she doesn't already have one?

Also, does she ever take her painting outside? Plein air painting? That might be a new thing to explore if she hasn't already. Here there are plein air meetup groups and people just show up at a park and paint wildflowers or whatever--she might meet some interesting kindred spirits that way.

She sounds great! I love kids with all-consuming interests!

ETA: This has been niggling at me for the last couple of hours-- I'm worried that my mention of "agenda" might possibly have come across in a way I hadn't intended when I quickly typed this this morning. All I meant was that with a curriculum for which I have spent hard-earned dollars, I sometimes have to fight the feeling that I need to use it even if it doesn't seem to be resonating all that well with the child for whom it was intended. You had mentioned that budget was a consideration, and I only wanted to suggest feeling free just to explore without having to feel obligated to do somebody else's assignments or constrained by somebody else's schedule that you'd had to pay for! I hope that's clear--I would in no way wish to say something hurtful.

The outdoor painting would be incredible for her.  I'm going to steer her in that direction and see if she would enjoy trying that.

Don't worry about the agenda thing - Lol!  I'm not the most expressive person in the world.  You should read some of MY posts (especially ones written early in the morning)!   :tongue_smilie:

• Like 1

I always encourage art history. 

ETA. Have you ever heard of sketchcrawl? This is a worldwide community of artists, professional and amateur, of all ages, who get together with other members to sketch. There are particular days where the entire community goes out to sketch, but also local meetings throughout the year. Even if there is no group in your area, your daughter might be interested in looking at other members' sketches, and she is always welcome to post her own sketches.http://www.sketchcrawl.com/category/updates/

I just bought a used copy of Gardner's Art Through the Ages.  I planned to use it with the teens next summer.  But, she will definitely need Art History - especially on her high school transcript.

Going to check out sketchcrawl.  Thanks!

Look into a local Art School (schools that teach teens art - not colleges). They are like dance schools locally and most of them are really good.

Some of the instructors at my local Art School are also teachers at the Art Department in the CC and local university. They are really good and work with the student in building up portfolios for admissions to advanced art programs etc. Even if you are rural, try to find an Art School that she can go to once or twice a month and that might help her develop her skills more.

She was taking classes at an art school for a couple of years.  That's where I found the teacher who works with her (she owns an art school).  It seems like the problem where we live is all the classes are for the K-8th grade crowd.  I was thinking she would fit in (ability-wise) with high school-aged kids, but there doesn't seem to be any.  At that point, are they all just doing stuff through the public school system?  I might need to widen my search a little.

I just bought a used copy of Gardner's Art Through the Ages. I planned to use it with the teens next summer. But, she will definitely need Art History - especially on her high school transcript.

Going to check out sketchcrawl. Thanks!

We used this book as our history curriculum from the age of 8 on. It covers with a lot of depth, but has a focus on the architecture, the merging of cultures as seen through their artwork, gorgeous pictures, and much more of a magazine style appeal. Ds got SO much more out of it that the expensive history book.

Now, we have added the CC timeline song (free) and VP timeline cards ($15.00 on ebay) so he gets a feel for the actual dates. Chronology is harder for him. His content knowledge mainly comes from Gardner's. If she can read it, and summarize to you, it is FAR more than most history for middle schoolers.

• Like 1

I can definitely chime in here.  My dd does music. 3+ hours a day, all day Saturday classes (9a-6p) in a city 3 hours from home, and regular traveling for performances.

I've had these very same questions.

Yes: she'll have time to take 4 years of math. And she should.  What if (it can happen) she changes her mind some day?  Or what if she gets some kind of illness or injury that makes it impossible for her to paint/draw? She needs a full education that keeps her options open, even if she doesn't think so right now.  

Have you tried local colleges (community or university) for arts classes?  Can she and her mentor put together her portfolio and can you set up some meetings (you and dd) for future possibilities?  They might not take an 11 year old, but they might consider a 13 year old auditing a class with mom in tow?

Good luck!

• Like 7

If you live anywhere near San Antonio, TX or could get there for the summer, there is an art school there (Southwest School of Art) that has a pretty good summer program that exposes older kids to lots of different medium (they do have classes for youngers too).  As I understand it, the classes for Middle School/High School students are for serious artists that genuinely want to learn.

https://www.swschool.org/summerartstudios

What they offer changes some from summer to summer.  Last year one of the classes was painting lessons that included the class making a mural for a local business.  Great for a resume.  They also offer charcoal, sculpting, etching, weaving, etc.  Lots of different medium.  Just depends on the summer as to what specifically is available.

• Like 1

My son is 12 and is starting to take ballet seriously. If it was an option he would do multiple hours a day, every day, of classes. We still plan on him having a full and rigorous highschool study program as well. That is going to be achieved by a)spreading it over five to six years and b) we school year round.

As someone who was very serious about music, and thought that was what they were going to do as a career and consequently didn't do as much academically at highschool as they could have, only to decide after University entrance auditions maybe that is not what I want to do, all I can say is keep options open! I was fortunate enough that I had good enough leaving scores to get a university place but I also knew students in the same situation as me who didn't and felt pressured in to studying music because 'that is my only option'. And that is a really sad place to be in.

• Like 2

So far, we are planning to go to a regular university.  They have a university here that is similar to a classical school.  There's a Great Books/Fine Arts focus and I'm looking into that one.

I would recommend looking into RISD-Rhode Island School of Design.  First, they may be able to help you with local resources/art centers, but it would also give you an idea of what an art college offers and could do for your daughter.   Here's the link to what they look for in a portfolio:

http://risd.edu/Admissions/Apply/Freshmen/

• Like 1