Menu

Anyone using headsprout?

Allen Academy

My 6yo ds is using headsprout. At first he loved it, but not so much anymore. I think he became overwhelmed. After about 25 lesson, he wasn't able to figure out any words and was very frustrated. I wrote the company and they offered to restart his program from the beginning. They were wonderful and I hope he will be more successful this time.

It was worth it! I got is as a "fun computer time" for us but was sooooo pleasantly surprised that he was really learning to read....and he loved it!!! Great customer service too. Never a problem backing up a few lessons if we were on vacation or just too busy.

Wish they had more than 2 level.

Great investment.

Thank you! I had my DD do one of the trial lessons online and she liked it, so I went ahead and bought it. I am very optimistic.

Another question: What do you do after you finish Headsprout? It is only 80 lessons; then what? We have been doing Explode the Code A, B, and C, so we will continue with those, but what else?

Most kids should be able to just read after Headsprout. My youngest is dyslexic, so she still needed reading instruction. I moved on to Funnix level 2. It started right where Headsprout left off.

link to my review of Funnix: http://www.thehomeschoollibrary.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1024

I also had my dd start working in Phonics for Reading. This is a fabulous program from Curriculum Associates. It is entirely parent-taught though.

link to my review of Phonics for Reading: http://www.thehomeschoollibrary.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1094

Now that my dd has finished Phonics for Reading, I have her working through Megawords.