Menu

Book a Week 2016 - BW48: Foodie Books

Robin M

I still need to come up with some odd book for my sister. I always give her a completely-off-the-wall book at Xmas. Any suggestions welcome.

Or there's Game of Scones: All Men Must Dine: A Parody  by Jammy Lannister.

For your father:

Some favorites of my father (who died some years ago) ~

Herman Wouk's Don't Stop the Carnival

Upton Sinclair's  Lanny Budd series.  The first book is World's End.

Winston Churchill's six volume The Second World War (book series)

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 9

Stacia, A couple of ideas for your sister. I loved The Dinosaur Feather by Gazen https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/books/the-dinosaur-feather-by-sj-gazan-is-a-weird-and-ingenious-new-mystery/2013/12/08/e87599e6-5c21-11e3-be07-006c776266ed_story.html?utm_term=.84e7584e85c1.

Perhaps more mainstream authors might be better. I read the first couple by SJ Bolton and had to quit (intense and violent). It's a series https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/12778381-now-you-see-me. This series by Chelsea Cain is another one I needed to quit. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2655716-heartsick But the me who used to read a lot of graphic police procedural/thriller would have loved both series.

Eta....I read your post late in the night and I think my memory failed, I should have looked again before writing. I think now you meant actual cults etc not fictional. Anyway I will leave my ideas for intense thrillers in case anyone else needs them. The Dino Feather was just plain good. Danish translation. I've read the sequel.

Edited by mumto2
  • Like 10

Oh I have just the perfect book recommendations.

Entertaining is Easy by Dorothy Draper - It's a bit hard to find but if you can find it then it's just an absolute delightful "how to entertain" book set in the 30's and 40's. It offers helpful advice on throwing a costume party at Christmas and how to host a party to listen to the boxing match on the radio. Wonderful!

Almost as charming is the 1970 Betty Crocker's Hostess Cookbook which I could send to you, Stacia. It gives menu and decoration ideas as well as recipes. The latter includes things like Olive Surprise Roast with Tomato Gravy, Pink Cucumber Float, and La Bombe Rose. Bonus: section on garnishes. Learn to make Painted Turnip flowers. Holiday menus include that teen favorite, the Bobbing Apple Punch Bowl and jello salads for all occasions.

Let your personal shopper know if I should drop this in the mail.

• Like 10

I have also finished the Bingo card......

B

Female author...Gail Carriger, Manners and Mutiny

Historical.....Judith Cutler, The Keeper of Secrets (109th Cent. England)

Pick by cover....Katie MacAlister, Steamed

Translated......Haruki Murakami, Sputnik Sweetheart

Epic.....Guards! Guards!, Terry Pratchett

I

Published 2016....CS Harris, When Falcons Fall

Revisit an old friend.....Linda Lael Miller, Forever and the Night

Over 500 pages.....Justin Cronin, The Passage

Banned.....John Green, Looking for Alaska

Nautical....Patrick O'Brian, Master and Commander

N

Number....Katherine Neville, The Eight

Fairy Tale adaptation...Kristine Grayson, Utterly Charming

Free Space....Elizabeth Duncan, The Cold Morning Light

Mystery....Robert Barnard, The Mistress of Alderly

18th Century....Horace Walpole, The Castle of Otranto

G

Dusty.....90 minutes in Heaven, Dan Piper

Birth year......The Clocks, Agatha Christie

Classic.....The Children of Green Knowe, L.M. Boston

Color.....Silver Borne, Patricia Briggs

Arthurian....Sword of the Rightful King, Jane Yolan

O

Picked by Friend....A Load of Old Bones, Suzette Hill

Play....Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, Rowling

Non Fiction....The Patchwork of Lucy Boston

Nobel Prize-winning author..... Siddhartha, Hermann Hesse

Set in another country....The Arcof the Swallow, Gazen (Denmark)

Before I forget, I plan to rean a Murakami in January because of tradition. No preference. Anyone want to join me?

• Like 12

One of my favorite end of the year things is reading everyone's lists! Especially seeing what they read to fill in various categories.

Stacia, the zebra perfects that shelf. I need to do something nice like that with my books besides random piles and doubleshelving.

Here's a book idea that's not for everybody, but is right for somebody - I got it for someone who moved to a new parish: "How To Get Along With People in the Church." http://www.christianbooksaustralia.com/shop_image/product/65528.jpg

The cover is the best part; what are those nice folks really thinking, underneath?

• Like 11

Thank you everyone.

Robin, how about graphic novel? And scifi is good because it where both soft and hard science meet up with philosophy, and how artists/writers influence the future (for example, flip phones) because the engineers read/watch scifi.

And I have bingo in at least one direction but I am havng trouble remembering the exact names of the books.

Epic - Brandon Sanderson's most recent Mistborn novels as well as a reread of the three original ones. These are epic in the "sweeping saga" sense. Kingdoms fall and there are wars and heros and mystical stuff and politics and some gross scary parts that would have kept me from reading them except that they were a parting gift from my youngest when he left for college. Large swaths of them I enjoy. Good, absorbing escape, which is why my son chose them.

Arthurian -Sir Gawain and the Green Knight

Nautical - Hornblower

18th Century - That really early scifi Micromegas

Set in another country - Sense and Sensibility (and lots of others)

(Posting before I lose this will be back)

Nan

Eta - I also read:

Female Author - In Other Words by Jhumpa Lahiri

Translated - Ma soeur est une sorciere by Dianna Winn Jones (and I can tell you children's book is significantly more difficult than Agatha Christie)

Library - many, we'll use a Terry Pratchett - Steam

Mystery - numerous Daisy Dalrymples

Old Favourite - Artists in Crime by Ngaio Marsh

Picked by a friend - The Plover. And abunch sent to us from dear Jane : )

2016 - Shadows. Of self by Brandon Sanderson

Over 500 - surely some of the Sandersons were, or perhaps better, I am half way through The Far Pavillions and will definitely be done by Christmas

Picked for the Cover - Buddha Boy

Non-fiction - some painting books. I will be back to fill in a titleafter I get the name of one off my website

Historical - that one I read about impressionists. Something with Paris in the title. Hmmm...

Play - Art, the play about the white painting that I'm the wrong culture to understand

Nobel prize author - Kim

Fairytale adaptation - a Mercedy Lackey that I think was called Beauty

What was the dusty supposed to be? Everything in my house is dusty.

Adjusting things a bit so they work better...

Let's make Epic be my reread of the original Mistborn trilogy, 500 be The Bands of Mourning, and 2016 be Shadows of Self. That uses most of the Brandon Sandersons that I read. I'll use Midshipman Hornblower as my Nautical. I remembered that I read one of the Stephanie Plum mysteries which could count as Number in Title. I will read a Bone for my banned book (haven't read all of those yet and want to). But I am for sure not going to get to Birth Year and I probably don't have Colour in Title. I'll have to do a search and find the bingo card to see if that comes to anything other than some rows or columns. I'm happy I hit so many, though! This is the first time I have tried to do any of it, that I remember. Will post a better list later. I have to get dressed while my husband is around to give me a hand.

Nan

• Like 11

Oh, and trying to finish dusty might encourage me to wade through the rest of my Spanish Treehouse book. Sigh.

Robin, I have been counting audiobooks. I hope that is ok? I,ve been read aloud to my whole life so I never lost the ability to escape into them.

Nan

Edited by Nan in Mass
  • Like 9

One of my favorite end of the year things is reading everyone's lists! Especially seeing what they read to fill in various categories.

Stacia, the zebra perfects that shelf. I need to do something nice like that with my books besides random piles and doubleshelving.

Here's a book idea that's not for everybody, but is right for somebody - I got it for someone who moved to a new parish: "How To Get Along With People in the Church." http://www.christianbooksaustralia.com/shop_image/product/65528.jpg

The cover is the best part; what are those nice folks really thinking, underneath?

They are smiling, so of course they are thinking, "Those people look nice. I hope they will be friends." : ) those of us who are more literal minded and have more literal minded children take comfort in the fact that even "way back", some people needed books like this.

Stacia, what about that book written in icons? I read one awhile back and it was fun.

Nan

• Like 9

On my phone, so I will post quickly & respond more later.

Congrats, everyone, on bingo!!!

Mumto2, I would read a Murakami in January.

Jane, that '70s cookbook sounds revolting and perfect, lol. I am sure she would love it. Also looking forward to looking up all the other suggestions when I am back home on my computer.

• Like 9

Snort! I hate to even consider what they are thinking. Things at the village church have turned unfortunate. Our young vicar has resigned. The committee governing it have turned into a scene from a bad British mystery.....fyi, dh resigned last year so our rights are non-existent. The bell tower is probably closing. Moving to a new one which is fine...I had lunch with a large group of church ladies last week, I smiled and nattered like a pro......lunch was because of another group we all belong to and we got seated together. Obviously the gossip isn't quite out yet....we didn't go today. The thought was overwhelming and there was a Christmas Market in York. Edited by mumto2
  • Like 10

Anne Taintor problably knows...

http://www.annetaintor.com/products/sale-magnets/sku01655/

magnets-thanks-to-homeschooling-margaret

01638_Iknit.jpg

http://www.annetaintor.com/products/magnets/sku01638/

Fun variety of gifts and lots of laughs! 

• Like 10