Menu

AP Physics at PAH?

Well, my son is taking Physics C with Jeff Lanctot this year.

When I looked at the two teachers, my impression was that Kernion did more required video and more work that my son would find to be "busywork" though good for most students. My impression was that Lanctot gave the assingments for the student to do indpendently. I thought my oldest would do best with Lanctot and my second might do better with Kernion.

Physics C Mechanics (1 semester course) nearing done this fall. The pace is similar to a college pace in that a lot of material is covered. There is minimal teaching. Mr. Lanctot gives assigned reading and problems. The problems are self-graded, but the solutions are not immediately available so you have to think through the problems. There is a computer graded test each week. The labs are expensive, but well-done. I wish I could have only bought the manual as I already own the equipment. The teacher is very approachable by email or on the classroom board. He quickly answers questions, though few are asked.

My son has paired the class with Walter Lewin's lectures available on you-tube.

I find that the only benefit of the class is to have someone else to be accountable for the schedule and turning things in on time. I could have done this myself, but didn't have the time or energy this year.

Our intent was to continue with Physics C Electricity and Magnetism in the spring, but now we are discussing not signing up for the second course and doing AoPS Intermediate Counting and Probability instead. We figure the AoPS course will be fun to take alongside multivariable calculus. My son has been adamant up to now that he wanted to continue with Physics, but when given the option of replacing it with more math, I think we'll make the trade. He's decided Physics E and M can wait until colllege and it will likely be better taught there - it's unlikely to be worse as he's just reading the book and self-teaching now.

I'd love to hear review of other teachers/classes as I might still be looking to outsource this for my next son.

Edited by Julie of KY
  • Like 3

what about jack kernion's classes direct through physics-prep? he started there and continues there before he was picked up by PAH, as they were looking for a Physics 1&2 instructor. you could take your Physics C course there esp if not thrilled with the PAH Physics thus far.

I just came across the Physics-prep by accident in searching the forums for Physics 1&2 info, and what AP classes are available out there. It brought me to a post by Jack Kernion himself - and this was at a time, PAH indicated they were looking for an instructor. So I went to Physics-prep.com and am intrigued at the cost of his courses - $300 as opposed to $1000 for Physics 1/2 or Physics C (both semesters) as compared to his PAH class. I'm trying to figure out the best option for us too.

• Like 1

AP Physics C at PA Homeschoolers is on our short list for next year.  

Has anyone taken it or is taking it this year?  How did you like it?  Any preference for Jack Kernion versus Jeff Lanctot?  

Any other AP physics C alternatives?  

While there are some APs that I wouldn't be able to pull off at home (AP Chemistry for example), my kids have been able to self-study for the AP Physics C.

This AP was relatively easy to self-study for because they had already studied the topics in an algebra-based class and they had the necessary calc under their belts. If anyone is interested, I would be happy to share the resources I use.

• Like 3

snowbeltmom- where did you study the algebra-based physics? at home or an online provider?

My oldest took AP Physics B (which no longer exists, unfortunately) at our local public school. (Our public school permits homeschoolers to do anything they want at the public school)  My senior took it online with Derek Owens and my D will do the same before she does the calc-based with me at home.

• Like 1

While there are some APs that I wouldn't be able to pull off at home (AP Chemistry for example), my kids have been able to self-study for the AP Physics C.

This AP was relatively easy to self-study for because they had already studied the topics in an algebra-based class and they had the necessary calc under their belts. If anyone is interested, I would be happy to share the resources I use.

What study guide or websites did you use?  Were you happy with them?

Edited by MarkT

Yes, I am interested in the resources you used for AP physics C.  Thank you.  (A little late responding after the holidays.)

What study guide or websites did you use?  Were you happy with them?

I use University Physics by Young & Freeman, along with the solution manuals.  The book is massive and intimidating, but not all of the topics are tested on the AP Physic C exams.  The solution manuals were more expensive than the textbook.  Plus I needed to purchase two of them since the first solution manual covered mechanics, while the second solution manual covered electricity.  I supplement the book with MIT OCW lectures. 

To prepare for the exam, I purchase the released exams from the College Board. 

For my kids, the solution manual was the most important component, since it has been decades since I studied physics and would not have been able to help without devoting significant time to the topic myself- something I didn't want to do.

• Like 3