Menu

Confession: I'm a browser-tab junkie...

RegGuheert

Oh my gosh, you really ARE my people!

48 in one browser (including half a dozen WTM threads I may need to know sometime soon--or not)

19 in my other browser

27 on my phone

My son hates this about me. He says no wonder my computer is so slow. But I NEED these things, I can't bookmark them, because I'll forget they exist.

• Like 2

Oh my gosh, you really ARE my people!

48 in one browser (including half a dozen WTM threads I may need to know sometime soon--or not)

19 in my other browser

27 on my phone

My son hates this about me. He says no wonder my computer is so slow. But I NEED these things, I can't bookmark them, because I'll forget they exist.

I hadn't read your line about "my people" when I posted, but once  I read your entire post, I see that you are my twin!

• Like 1

Ten is usually the least amount I have.

I used to come on here and open a bunch of threads to read. I could come back later and read them all when I had the time.

And then I changed my password. And now, after some amount of time (not sure how much), this site will log me out. So, now when I have all these tabs across my screen, I have to enter my name/password again for the tabs.

THIS DRIVES ME CRAZY. If anyone is reading, do you know why I keep getting logged out all of a sudden? I used to be able to go months without having to re-type in my name/password. Now it's after an hour or so.

• Like 2

Well, all I can say is you are all amateurs!  LOL

I absolutely LOVE OneTab.

I can actually shut down my computer now.  One click and all my tabs are saved as links by date, complete with icons and full descriptions.  Things can be moved around and organized.

When I have too many tabs open and it gets difficult to tell what is what, I can click once and all the tabs are listed. I can then easily reopen just the ones I want to use right then, yet have easy access to the others.  

It is AWESOME!

• Like 1

Well, all I can say is you are all amateurs!  LOL

I absolutely LOVE OneTab.

I can actually shut down my computer now. 

Most/all browsers will remember your tabs too - like I said, my oldest 'open' tab* is a few years old, and it's not like I haven't rebooted my computer in all that time.

Anyhow, I decided to use Tanaqui's trick, and the answer is 134.

*I put quotes around 'open' because the browser doesn't actually load those tabs after you close and reopen your browser unless you actually click on them. I think it's probably been a few months since I've clicked on that tab. Which is also why having 134 'open' tabs doesn't make my computer crawl. It's not like I've got the latest and greatest computer. They're just not actually open-open.

Edited by luuknam
  • Like 2

Unfortunately, that option was GREYED this morning.

RIP tabs.

Oh man. I hate it when I can't reopen the tabs from the last session! My browser also does a weird thing where sometimes when I try that, it reopens the tabs from the time before last.  :crying:

I only have 33 open at the moment. 60 is standard. Over 100 if I'm writing essays.

And then I changed my password. And now, after some amount of time (not sure how much), this site will log me out. So, now when I have all these tabs across my screen, I have to enter my name/password again for the tabs.

THIS DRIVES ME CRAZY. If anyone is reading, do you know why I keep getting logged out all of a sudden? I used to be able to go months without having to re-type in my name/password. Now it's after an hour or so.

I used to have this happen when I was trying to post on the Classifieds board.  Now, when I sign in, I check the Remember me option.  Since doing that, I have had no issues.  I'll be curious if it works for you.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 1

I used to have this happen when I was trying to post on the Classifieds board.  Now, when I sign in, I check the Remember me option.  Since doing that, I have had no issues.  I'll be curious if it works for you.

Regards,

Kareni

I do have remember me checked.  I'm going to uncheck it for a while, then recheck it and see if that helps.  

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

I'm just revisiting this old thread to make a shout-out to Apple about the new tab capabilities in Safari on my iPad Air 2 with iOS 10. This thing is a TAB BEAST! I have no idea how many tabs I have open now, but there seems to be NO IMPACT on the performance of my iPad, either inside the browser or in other apps. On top of that, they have greatly helped with the age-old problem which has long faced us tab junkies: how to find a particular tab when you want to get back to it. A simple diagonal pinch of he screen brings up a view with the name of the site and an icon image of the page given for each tab. It's glorious! :wub:

At the same time, there has been massive regression for us tab junkies in Firefox on Windows 10. There now seems to be a severe memory leak in that program with the result that it gradually slows down the entire computer and eventually crashes the browser after sitting for just a few hours.

I don't know how Apple manages to make Safari work so well on my iPad, but I'm not complaining! (OTOH, I still hate the tab handling on Safari on our Mac, which is a bit more powerful machine.)

Edited by RegGuheert
  • Like 2

Only two right now, but I'm home.  When I'm working, I have two screens with 20+ tabs open, about 10 of them different databases I work in.  Several of my co-workers and I have decided that we need this:  http://www.businessinsider.com/samsung-qh90-super-ultra-wide-329-monitor-photos-2017-6?utm_content=buffere7da5&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer-ti

• Like 2

Oh MY!  I can't imagine having that many open.  LOL  

I have a max of 5 unless i am researching something specific and need to be able to go back and forth.  I do use the favorites feature, download and save or even email my self things for long term storage. 

My usual tabs.

1 news/NPR etc

2. WTM

3. Email

4. Amazon or another shopping site if I have visited one

5. something random that I am reading about at the moment or Netflix

• Like 1

Uh, 21  :crying:  But to be fair, it doesn't look like 21. 

It drives some of my family members crazy. My techy dear, sweet husband doesn't say much about it, although I know it sort of boggles his mind when he looks at my computer. I always hear from my teens, "Mom! How can you have some many tabs open?" 

I am actually a little shocked it is that many. I would have guessed 10, maybe 12. They really made those bad boys small.

• Like 1

I have 20 tabs open right now. Much more than that and I can't tell what they all are. Out of sight, out of mind is a terrible problem for me. A paper sitting on my desk or in an open tab is probably 1000 times more likely to be dealt with than something I have put away somewhere.

On my phone, I simply use one page at a time. There might be multiple tabs open, but they are useless because they don't show.

• Like 1

You people are making me twitch.  I typically have one or two.  If I get 6 or 8 going the clutter makes me crazy and I have to close them.  How do you people function?   :eek:

Who said anything about functioning?!  :D

• Like 2

Right now only 47, but that's largely because my other laptop broke a couple of months ago, so I had to start over with a blank slate. Also, apparently I do not like how Safari does tabs - it won't just let me scroll through them. 

ETA: that's down from 134 on Nov 21st. 

Edited by luuknam
  • Like 2

You people are making me twitch.  I typically have one or two.  If I get 6 or 8 going the clutter makes me crazy and I have to close them.  How do you people function?   :eek:

How many books do you have in your bookcases? Do you have trouble finding the books you need? I tend to have a pretty good idea of where they're at, and likewise, I tend to have a pretty good idea of where my tabs are at. Except Safari does some really wonky thing instead of scrolling like normal, so that's mighty annoying - quite disorienting. 

• Like 2

It drives some of my family members crazy.

That, right there, is worth the price of admission! :sneaky2:

I am actually a little shocked it is that many. I would have guessed 10, maybe 12. They really made those bad boys small.

That's what I love about the new Safari on iPad.  I have HUNDREDS of tabs open right now and I can easily find what I want.  And did I mention NO SLOW DOWN?  Amazing!

And Safari on iPad now lets you split-screen between two tabs.  Now if they could only figure out how to allow the split between ANY two tabs, not just the rightmost one and all the rest.  :toetap05:

How can you shop with one or two tabs?  Or for that matter, how can you compose a post on this board?  I'm not criticizing, it's just I have a different way of approaching my browser than anyone else in my family.  It's sort of a "cluttered" approach. :tongue_smilie:

Who said anything about functioning?!   :D

Yeah, really. :lol:

But, seriously, Firefox has not been "functioning" very well lately.

Message to Firefox: TAB JUNKIES MATTER!!

Frankly, I'm spending less-and-less time on MacOS and Windows 10 because of how Firefox and Safari mishandle tab management.

• Like 1

30. That's pretty normal for me, I would say. Every now and then I will purge, but for the most part it works. They are usually related to concurrent projects or interesting reads I don't have time for right now but want to get to. I will close a bunch once I am done with those project tasks, or when I read them or decide they are not worth my time. The problem is, I always find new tabs to replace the ones I closed!

ETA I am on an iPad

Edited by Mabelen
  • Like 1

Wait! What?

Please tell us this: How did you write this post? :confused1:

Maybe the Tapatalk app or whatever it is? Then it wouldn't technically be a tab.