Menu

Essay writing for strong writer?

Dmmetler

DD is now saying she wants to try for DA again next year. Since one of the areas they claimed she was weak on was the in-class essay, I want to give her resources and let her prepare more specifically for that. She does a lot of academic writing for science, and is good at citing sources and researching and paraphrasing for different audiences (from her blog for kids to conference talks for professionals) but I will be the first to admit we really haven't done much essay writing. (And given that she had college ready writing scores on both the SAT and ACT I felt justified until DA claimed her writing was an issue. For science writing she has some pretty awesome mentors, including a journal editor and a writer for Scientific American-so if they're pleased, I'm pleased).

Its helpful to read quality essays as well as teach the parts. Ds read BBC Focus (available at sciencefocus.com),and NYTimes opinions as well as speeches etc supplied by his English instructor. The Little Brown Handbook was our source of grammar rules that he hadnt picked up reading that made his sentence structure more sophisticated. Zinsser's On Writing Well, Weston's A Rulebook for Arguments, and Rottenberg's The Structure of Argument were helpful supplements to his English teacher's content.

Edited by Heigh Ho