Menu

Comparing Galore Park to Memoria Press

Bics

Hello,

• I am having trouble opening the Galore Park website, but I watched a few youtube videos by the author, including Book 1, Lesson 1--and really liked it!  Truthfully, he hit a few points straight-up that my 3rd grader has been struggling with in Latina Christiana--so...would anyone care to share experience with Galore Park?  
  • Also, if there is anyone familiar with GP and MP, I would love your opinion on pros and cons of each. Thanks

Edited to Add: this morning I tried again and could open the page; it must have been down for maintenance.  It looks like Latin Prep is no longer for sale new? Only the workbook A for Latin Prep is still available.

Edited by Whippoorwill

Whether or not Galore Park plans a new edition of Latin Prep is something I have also been wondering.  I have not looked at Latina Christiana beyond the few sample pages, but for what it is worth –

I started Latin Prep 1 with my 3rd and 5th graders this fall.  Chapters 1 and 2 went well.  We took several weeks to complete each chapter, including every exercise in the optional workbook.  Chapter 3 moved too quickly for my 3rd grader.  We paused to review using Getting Started with Latin.  I plan to resume Latin Prep next semester.  My tentative plan is to complete the first five chapters of Latin Prep this year and chapters six through ten next year. 

For comparison:

Latin Prep – 10 chapters, 20 vocabulary words per chapter, multiple translating exercises per chapter.  Lessons are in the student text. There is a separate answer key for teacher use but no lesson plan.  Consumable workbooks are optional.  Exercises and lessons are intertwined.  The teacher determines where to end each day’s lesson and how many weeks to spend on each chapter.

Latina Christiana – 25 chapters plus 5 reviews, 10 vocabulary words per chapter, (based on sample) exercises are fill-in the blank with greater focus on English derivatives than on translating. The teacher’s guide is essential.  It contains scripted lessons.  The student text is a consumable workbook.  Each day’s lesson is clearly defined.  Chapters are designed to be completed one per week.     

• Like 2

For reference: Latin Prep is designed for use in 'prep' schools in the UK.  These are for ages 10 to 13.  I would not use Latin Prep with a younger child - as Sherry says, it just moves too fast.  My Calvin is very bright, we started it when he was 9, but took four years to study 2 1/2 books.