Menu

Moving from BA4 as spine to supplement

DD10 is doing BA4D and doing perfectly fine with it, but she doesn't like math and wants a slightly easier program (she can do the challenge problems but doesn't like it....one page/day might be OK.)  I have MUS, so I've been giving her Epsilon tests, and filling in whenever she doesn't know something.  However, looking forward, I think she's already covered most of the content in Epsilon...I could try Zeta, but  I'm considering MM6 for a little more interest than MUS?  she doesn't need a lot of repetition, but doesn't want much challenge either.   Suggestions?

I wouldn't recommend any math to be done independently at that level - just me, but I think they learn much better with a mentor guiding them through the math and their mistakes.

Agreed, but I will be working and she doesn't like to work with me.  I agree that would be ideal, but I need a plan that doesn't rely on it.  I actually enjoy teaching math!  (Its my favorite subject.) I just think at the moment independent work will go better.

She can do Beast independently? We certainly found it needed some guidance at times even for a motivated kid. That says to me she's probably pretty bright at math.

I have to agree that teaching math is sort of important. But MM could be worth a try. If she could do Beast independently, I'm sure she could do MM. You don't have to assign all the problems.

She can do Beast independently? We certainly found it needed some guidance at times even for a motivated kid. That says to me she's probably pretty bright at math.

I have to agree that teaching math is sort of important. But MM could be worth a try. If she could do Beast independently, I'm sure she could do MM. You don't have to assign all the problems.

Yes, she does BA independently.  I help with one or two problems per week when she asks.  BA could probably work for her if it were taught and hard problems worked together.  I'm just not sure she's willing to invest in it, nor may I be down the road as my availability diminishes .  She'd rather have something easier, and prove how smart she is. (perfectionism possibly?)  MUS is kinda working...just really really easy for her after having those topics in BA.  She doesn't mind the easy...yet.  I do, as it seems more like busywork than learning.

If she can do BA independently, I wouldn't use MUS. I work full time too but DD is a social learner and preferred working with me. I totally get the time crunch thing. Honestly, if we do only one thing each day together it's math. If you really want an independent math that could work well with BA, I would try Math Mammoth. My DD who loved BA didn't like it but many people do.

• Like 3