Menu

AMC 8 Test bundle -- when do they come??

SanDiegoMom

I was just wondering if anyone knew if test centers had already received their AMC 8 tests. I am doing it as a homeschooler and have a proctor lined up, but he hasn't received them yet and I am freaking out a little. I emailed MAA but was wondering if maybe they just wait until the last minute to send them? 

An unrelated AMC8 question: Are the AMC8s from >10 years ago known to be somewhat easier than the modern ones?

absolutely.  For the AMC8 it appears there was a material jump in difficulty starting w/ last year.  You can see it in the published distributions of scores.

DD12 took the AMC8 for the second year in a row yesterday - she only got to problem 20.  All practice exams from years 2014 and prior she can complete or nearly so.

We've found that schools are quite disorganized when we try to find a place for a homeschooler to take a test.

An unrelated AMC8 question: Are the AMC8s from >10 years ago known to be somewhat easier than the modern ones?

absolutely.  For the AMC8 it appears there was a material jump in difficulty starting w/ last year.  You can see it in the published distributions of scores.

DD12 took the AMC8 for the second year in a row yesterday - she only got to problem 20.  All practice exams from years 2014 and prior she can complete or nearly so.

^^^ Careful. People are still taking the 2016 test. The testing window goes for about 8(?) days. I know AoPS strictly forbids any comments until the testing window is over.

The testing window is over, so it's okay to talk about it now.

• 4 weeks later...

We're still waiting anxiously for our results . . . Glad to hear they're at least on the way.

ETA: Just heard from our coordinator - dd11 got honor roll and ds9 got certificate of achievement!

You guys got results already?  still waiting here.....  Nothing posted on their website.  Surprised--or am I missing something.... Had browser issues last year, but checked via Firefox.

http://amc-reg.maa.org/reports/generalreports.aspx

You guys got results already?  still waiting here.....  Nothing posted on their website.  Surprised--or am I missing something.... Had browser issues last year, but checked via Firefox.

Yeah, not sure why they're not on the web site yet (we'd like to see the overall reports, too), but my coordinator emailed me Thursday night with their scores and award levels.

You guys got results already? still waiting here..... Nothing posted on their website. Surprised--or am I missing something.... Had browser issues last year, but checked via Firefox.

The results gets emailed to the site coordinator in drips and drabs, kind of like waiting for ACT and SAT results. Our site coordinator said that he just mail back the Scranton answer sheets ASAP and hope to get results fast.

Last year my kids AMC8/10/12 results all came back quite a few days before the MAA website was updated.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm interested in how you went about having the AMC 8 proctored by yourself?  We contacted a local school that was listed on the AMC 8 website and asked if they would be willing to let ds who is homeschooled take the exam there.  Initially they agreed, but the Friday before the exam they sent an e-mail to me saying that they can let him take the test, but i have to order a test bundle for him.  I contacted AMC 8 and they assured me that if the school has agreed to administer the test to my son that they will provide the test for him, and they do not sell tests to parents.  The school however did not provide a test for my son.  Basically, I feel like we were tricked. 

I'm trying to avoid this same disaster happening next year.  So how does the proctoring by yourself work, and what are the steps to make it happen?  I saw no information on it on the AMC 8 website.  Thanks.

So how does the proctoring by yourself work, and what are the steps to make it happen? I saw no information on it on the AMC 8 website.

From the AMC8 website http://www.maa.org/math-competitions/amc-8

"Q. Who can proctor the contest?

A. The proctoring of any AMC 8 should be by a teacher (preferably a mathematics teacher) or administrator at the school; a college or university teacher of mathematics, or a responsible adult such as a math club coach or librarian. The proctoring of the exam must take place in a public building, (e.g. school, library, college or university, church). The proctor should not be related to any of the participants."

My local library does not proctor but the Mathnasium just across the street from the library does proctor. It is easy for the Mathnasium owner to proctor since her kids does AMC in their school, so she is not related to any participant.

Some places will charge, it cost $22 for every 10 sets of test booklets. The test site we go to ask for a $5 donation per child to cover costs.

My husband teaches at a university, so we just found another faculty advisor and put his name down as the test proctor.  We paid all the fees and he received the materials and proctored it.  We got the results back to my email address.  It was more expensive than doing it through a test center but at least we had more control over the process. 

That's great.  Unfortunately I don't personally know anyone that can fill this capacity.  I know no local teachers or professors.  I guess we might just drive to the closest university that administers the AMC 8 (about 3.5 hours drive).

Our local library has librarians who proctor tests if we request them early enough for them to arrange their schedules. It is worth a try with your library.

• Like 1

I've got another AMC question. Are you supposed to get anything such as a certificate if you get on one of the lists `rolls', or if you place top three in the testing location. We've never received items like this so I don't know if they exist. (Sometimes we don't even hear back from the center about the score, though we can see them on the MAA website if they are on a list.) I was also wondering how you would verify that some result was actually obtained if it was needed, say for some application.

Edited by epi

I've got another AMC question. Are you supposed to get anything such as a certificate if you get on one of the lists `rolls', or if you place top three in the testing location. We've never received items like this so I don't know if they exist. (Sometimes we don't even hear back from the center about the score, though we can see them on the MAA website if they are on a list.) I was also wondering how you would verify that some result was actually obtained if it was needed, say for some application.

My oldest had a certificate last year from AMC8 but I forgot whether it was for honor roll or being top three in the testing location. It is somewhere in the house. The coordinator passed the certificate to me when my kids went for the AMC10. Save him from the trouble of mailing the certificate to me.

The MAA statistics website has my son's scores if verification is really needed. Our family name is rather unique so I immediately found my kids results. Also I have the results email from the coordinator.

Wow, we never get the certificates. I wonder what they do with them. I could ask them, but I don't want to put them on the spot in case they tossed them out. (I appreciate having these testing locations, so I think I won't bring it up.)

Wow, we never get the certificates. I wonder what they do with them.

According to the MAA webpage my oldest would have gotten 3 certificates. The nice coordinator passed me an envelope and I saw a certificate inside. I didn't take it out so my boy might have gotten 3 certificates for all I know.

Does your testing center have your mailing address? Mine has our mailing address but I know my coordinator would have been too busy to mail since he host AMC10 and AMC12 as well. We get the AMC question sheet back if we bring a self address envelope that day.

"AMC 8 Intramural Awards

A Certificate of Distinction is given to all students who receive a perfect score.

An AMC 8 Winner Pin is given to the student(s) in each school with the highest score.

The top three students for each school section will receive respectively a gold, silver, or bronze Certificate for Outstanding Achievement.

An AMC 8 Honor Roll Certificate is given to all high scoring students.

An AMC 8 Merit Certificate is given to high scoring students who are in 6th grade or below."

http://www.maa.org/math-competitions/american-mathematics-contest-8-amc-8

ETA:

The coordinator can recognize my kids and me as a family unit because my youngest attended math circle and we attended many math festivals where he was a volunteer.

Edited by Arcadia

• 2 weeks later...

If your child is on the achievement or honor roll, their name will be here:

You can screenshot it.  I've had issues using this on Safari so if you're using a Mac, try firefox.  No idea about windows, but if the lists come up empty or hangs while loading, try a different browser.

According to the MAA webpage my oldest would have gotten 3 certificates. The nice coordinator passed me an envelope and I saw a certificate inside. I didn't take it out so my boy might have gotten 3 certificates for all I know.

Does your testing center have your mailing address? Mine has our mailing address but I know my coordinator would have been too busy to mail since he host AMC10 and AMC12 as well. We get the AMC question sheet back if we bring a self address envelope that day.

"AMC 8 Intramural Awards

A Certificate of Distinction is given to all students who receive a perfect score.

An AMC 8 Winner Pin is given to the student(s) in each school with the highest score.

The top three students for each school section will receive respectively a gold, silver, or bronze Certificate for Outstanding Achievement.

An AMC 8 Honor Roll Certificate is given to all high scoring students.

An AMC 8 Merit Certificate is given to high scoring students who are in 6th grade or below."

http://www.maa.org/math-competitions/american-mathematics-contest-8-amc-8

ETA:

The coordinator can recognize my kids and me as a family unit because my youngest attended math circle and we attended many math festivals where he was a volunteer.

We should have a pile, but we never got any. Thanks for letting me know they exist.

If your child is on the achievement or honor roll, their name will be here:

You can screenshot it.  I've had issues using this on Safari so if you're using a Mac, try firefox.  No idea about windows, but if the lists come up empty or hangs while loading, try a different browser.

That's where I've been getting the results. I haven't actually "archived" images, assuming the pages will stay available. It's a bit cumbersome gathering all of one individual's results, but it could be done if needed. I don't know what would count as an "official" record, though maybe it doesn't matter in the long run.

I don't see the achievement roll no matter what browser I use.

As far as I can tell, the 2016 AMC 8 results appeared once in late December, and they have never been updated, and they look incomplete, including achievement roll being missing.