Menu

must reads for Korean and Vietnam Wars?

Perhaps not quite what you're looking for ....

It's described as a pseudo documentary, but my daughter (and husband) enjoyed watching it when she studied modern history.

The Atomic Cafe

A book we enjoyed for that time period was The Mouse that Roared by Leonard Wibberley written in 1955. A movie of the same title came out in 1959 with Peter Sellers.

Here is a link to the Wikipedia entry: http://en.wikipedia....use_That_Roared

Or how about Dr. Strangelove, Or: How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love The Bomb (preview for content)

Regards,
Kareni

Back again ~

I'll post below the resources my daughter used in 9th grade when she was studying the time frame you mentioned.  These include documentaries, movies, music, and written works.

North to Freedom by Anne Holm
Shane (video)
Frank Sinatra, Come Swing with Me
Animal Farm by George Orwell
The Little World of Don Camillo by Giovanni Guareschi
Ed Sullivan’s Rock and Roll Classics, Volume 8: Legends of Rock (video)
Beatles, Beatles for Sale
Atomic Café (video)
Bob Dylan, Highway 61 Revisited
“I Have a Dream†by Martin Luther King, Jr.
All the President's Men (video)
Forrest Gump (video)
Judy Collins, Whales and Nightingales
Hair (video)
The Vietnam War by Marilyn B. Young, John J. Fitzgerald and A. Tom Grunfeld
Singers and Songwriters, 1974-1975
Good Morning, Vietnam (video)
Out of the Silent Planet by C. S. Lewis
The Mouse that Roared by Leonard Wibberley
The Mouse that Roared (video)
Abba, The Definitive Collection

Regards,

Kareni

A good movie for the Korean war is "Welcome to Dongmakgol." It was on Netflix a while back but you may be able to find it on the internet. It's an interesting perspective on the whole thing since war kind of stumbles upon a village that is so remote and they are still rooted in the old ways.

"71: Into the Fire" is also an awesome movie set during that period and based on true events of teenage boys who held off the N. Koreans and pretty much helped turned the way things went in the war.  It will make you cry like a baby but the fact that these kids did this.  I put the link in for that one.

A good one that I think is still on Netflix for recent N & S problems is "Northern Limit Line." In the South men have to serve about 20 months in the military and this one is a true story about a navy ship that encounters problems.  Again, you will cry and the incident in the movie happened in 2002. 

I don't really have an ideas for books but sometimes watching people act things out have a rather powerful impact and all of these were done by South Korea.