Menu

Favorite logic stage physics resources

I'm going to create my own physics for next year for my 8th grader. I'm going to use the Manga Guide to Physics because if I don't my daughter will revolt. But I need recommendations for other resources. Other spines or supporting resources - anything you liked. Either secular or Christian is fine. Thanks for any ideas.

Did she do all the sections/books? 

We had the full Bite-Size Physics book instead of the individual titles, and she completed everything but the occasional "deeper" sections that applied math to the concepts in that chapter.

I should add this is a very hands on course, but DD was able to set most of it up and explain it to me all by herself.

• Like 1

The Cartoon Guide to Physics went over well here too. Let me search physics in my family library app thing....

Archimedes and the Door of Science - low level for an 8th grader but a decent bio

Alice in Quantumland - I'd only hand it to a logic stage kid with a high interest. Fun book though.

Scrooge's Cryptic Carol - same as Alice

Art of the Catapult - great fun!

Backyard Ballistics - build rockets, cannons, and such

Galileo for Kids: His Life and Ideas, 25 activities - Not babyish, good activity source if the catapults and rockets seem like too much (the Da Vinci one would too)

How Things Work: The Physics of Everyday Life - I'd cherry pick portions of interest rather than trying to work through it

An Illustrated Brief History of Time by Hawking - probably best for higher interest kids

Library of Subatomic Particles, Neutron, Proton, Electron, and so on

Physics of Star Trek, Physics of Superheroes, Science of Doctor Who, Science of Harry Potter, and so on as the kiddo is interested

Science Matters: Achieving Scientific Literacy - read together and discuss

A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bryson - We listen to the Audible version in the car.

Why Buildings Fall Down and Why Buildings Stand Up for an architecture spin
Exploring the World of Physics by Tiner - This barely held my science lovers and they asked if we could drop it.

and various biographies on Dalton and such

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

There also Great Courses and Coursera/edX courses that she may like.

How Things Work

Physics in Your Life

Walter Lewin's videos and book, For the Love of Physics

Feynman's Six Easy Pieces. There is audio for this - not the greatest, but it does exist.

I was under the assumption that Feynman pieces were for the college audience, for kids with already some foundation in physics. Am I wrong?