Menu

Looking for intermediate level readers like Bob books?

calihil

Looking for some recs for early readers for my almost 6 year old kindergartener. She flew through AAR 1 and I'm just using Phonics Pathways with her now but I'm having tribute finding readers that mesh well with it. We have the first 3 sets of Bob books but I'd like to branch out from there,

Have you looked at Nora Gaydos readers? We have those and while they're similar in levels to the BOB books, the pictures are colorful and the stories are a funnier.

We also have some used school style readers. Right now we have the SRA Basic Reading Series. There are levels that are a little more advanced than the BOB books. The stories seem more appealing as well. 

• Like 1

I like Nora Gaydos books too.  She carries this around and reads to herself.  So, this is my fun book for her.

For practice we use the American Language Series (religious).  http://www.homeschooldiscountproducts.com/american-language-series/ More bang for your buck.  However, if your child picks up quickly, then perhaps Bob books type of books is what you need.

I also use AAR readers starting in level 2.  :) 

I think the ones we use are called Primary Phonics Readers. There are 6 levels (You can also purchase workbooks with them, but not needed.) Also, old school McGuffy Readers! My daughter had trouble reading until she picked up the first Mc Guffy Reader and flew threw it! It just clicked with her I guess.

• Like 1

Does your library have an "easy reader" section?   Once we got through Bob books, that's where my kids moved to, and using the library cost nothing compared to buying new books.   The stories were more interesting than the readers, which motivated my kids to work a bit harder at decoding them.

• Like 1