Menu

What was your favorite Halloween treat to get as a kid? Least favorite?

umsami

What was your favorite Halloween treat to get as a kid?

What was your least favorite?

Did your parents control the candy distribution or could you eat what you wanted?

Did you grow up in the x-raying candy era?

What is the candy you miss most from childhood?

The "x Ray your candy" era was the ''80's, yes? I remember the hype, and everyone thinking it was dumb. My parents didn't care.

Oh, favourite candy? Reeses peanut butter cups, hands down. Followed by the "real" size chocolate bars. I used to "hide out" in my tree fort and gorge on my treats. For whatever reason I thought I was out of sight, but in reality it was in plain view of my parents' enormous picture window in their living room. Ha ha, at least I could pretend I was being sneaky. ;)

My son doesn't like Halloween candy. Not sure where he got his genes. ;)

Eta: the worst candy was everything not chocolate. Honestly, what's the point?

Edited by MEmama
  • Like 1

I asked some friends this question on facebook. I thought it was funny my MIL picked a treat that I thought no one considered their favorite. I never knew what exactly they were! Just tossed the to the side probably ha. Apparently one term for them is Mary Janes and they may or may not be the thing Slartibartfast mentioned.

Not familiar with the x-ray thing, so I guess no.

I think I've always been fond of chocolate. Snickers, Twix, Kit Kat, Mr Goodbar, Reeses. I actually love Take5s but I rarely think to buy them. I saw some today, but they were in a huge assorted bag and I didn't want to buy another large bag. I have seen them sold differently but I didn't have time to hunt.

Least favorite? Hmm Tootsie rolls or anything really chewy. I'm actually kinda getting away from Twix these days just because I favor candy that doesn't get so stuck in the teeth. Snickers discontinued Cruncher which didn't have the caramel. That was my favorite of their line. Now they have something very similar called Crisper.

• Like 1

When I was a child, people were still giving out homemade cookies, popcorn balls, and caramel/candy apples. Second grade was the year it was in all the papers that a child had recieved an apple with a razor blade in it. Even so, it was a few years before the homemade treats fizzled out. Plus we lived on military bases and my mom wasn't really worried. Some people would give out pennies.

I loved peanut butter toffees, Mary Janes, and bit-0-honey. Everyone would give me theirs. We loved the bubble gum that came with comic strips and tootsie rolls. Packs of lifesavers were common too. There were also big orange lollipops with pumpkin faces stamped on them.

Edited by Onceuponatime
  • Like 1

I asked some friends this question on facebook. I thought it was funny my MIL picked a treat that I thought no one considered their favorite. I never knew what exactly they were! Just tossed the to the side probably ha. Apparently one term for them is Mary Janes and they may or may not be the thing Slartibartfast mentioned.

My grandmother handed those out as well :lol:

• Like 1

No x-raying of candy here. I was a kid in the 70s. We were not allowed to eat anything until we got home then we dumped everything on the floor and threw out anything with a torn wrapper. We knew everyone on our block whose homes we went to.

Some of my favorite things to get were homemade popcorn balls or full-size candy bars (oh, we loved the homes who gave out full sized candy bars!!) My favorites were Twix and Snickers.

I hated Mary Janes, raisins, or fruity tootsie roll things.

• Like 2

I've never had a big sweet-tooth, so I was more interested in the hunt than the prize.

I liked getting full bars, like Mounds or Hersheys. For cheap candies, I liked Sweettarts.

There were also beads of candy on thin elastic necklaces that were not good candy, but if you pulled then tight (like a sling-shot) and bit into the disc, it would go flying (good weapon).  Probably outlawed.

I didn't like hard candy or suckers, expect for some hot or sour Jolly Ranchers and some root beer flavored candies. I loved getting dark chocolate (but it was rare).

Now? I steal the gummies. Especially sour ones, or intensely fruity ones.

Worst score? Tootsie Rolls. Yuck.

Bill

• Like 1

I loved pretty much all candy except stuff with coconut or those toffee candies wrapped in orange or black paper. Halloween was the only time during the year I got candied apples. Loved them! I remember the xray idea but we didn't do that. I don't even remember my mom checking our candy. We were able to eat it whenever we wanted until it was gone. My mom didn't dole it out. I did share with her though.

• Like 1

My favorite were the rice crispy treats my grandma made.  She added candy corn to it and as a kid I thought it was the best.  I lived in a very rural area so we mostly went to visit family and friends.  We didn't really do much door to door trick or treating.  I got a lot of homemade treats that way like donuts, caramel apples, cookies, etc.  For traditional door to door goodies I preferred to get chocolate.  I am not a big fan of hard candies.  We always kept what we got, which wasn't a ton, and could eat whenever.  We were usually pretty good at self-regulating.

I grew up hearing about not taking homemade treats and to check your candy carefully, but no one I knew actually took candy to be x-rayed.  I still check over all my kids' candy and throw out any that are open, but we have the sort anyway due to youngest having an almond allergy.

• Like 1

Favorite: Reese's cups not minis, still my favorite at Halloween but more rare now

Least favorite: getting a toothbrush! Candywise, good and plenty

We had complete control over our candy consumption. After giving the parents and older siblings a few complementary pieces we ate as much as we wanted when we wanted.

I'm 30, what was the x-ray era?

Candy I miss the most... hmm that is tough because I can't think of anything that is no longer around. And as an adult if I see it I can buy it whenever

• Like 1

I lived in a college town surrounded by college students. So on our walk to my cousin's block, which had families so candy, we would stop at the college students' houses who weren't smart enough to turn their lights off. Some had candy but that was rare. Usually they'd give us things like Ramen noodles and Little Debbie's cakes. That was the best part of trick or treating every year!

One year a drunk student gave my cousin his roommate's watch.

• Like 3

My favorite were the full-sized candy bars.  There was one house in my neighborhood growing up that gave them out each year.   Nobody TPd their house. (We had Devil's Night growing up in Michigan...the night before Halloween.)

I loved most candy...especially Zit-to-Zots, Pop Rocks, and Lik-M-Aids.  I hated Bit-o-Honey and Mary Janes.  My brother loved Bit-o-Honey though, so I could trade with him.  I didn't like Snickers either.

There were always a few houses with the bowl of pennies.  LOL

My Dad was a radiologist, but he never x-rayed candy.  Parents didn't control our candy, either.  We'd empty out our pillow cases and eat whatever we wanted. My brother always had more because he went to more houses. 

I miss Marathon bars.  They were braided caramel with chocolate over the caramel.  Had a ruler on the package. 

Reese peanut butter cups

Hershey bars

3 musketeers

I would sometimes examine their haul.

Dudeling will refuse to take candy he doesnt like. Reminds me I need to again give the lecture - take what you're offered and say thank you. Use it to bribe 2ds.

He wants

kit kats

Reeses

Twix

Today, we're tot at 1dd's place of work. 2ds is coming. I saw a crazy cat lady costume. Bathrobe, stuffed cats attached. Easy. He likes being able to wear pjs.

What was your favorite Halloween treat to get as a kid?

What was your least favorite?

Did your parents control the candy distribution or could you eat what you wanted?

Did you grow up in the x-raying candy era?

What is the candy you miss most from childhood?

Favorite candy?  Little packets of candy corn.

Other favorite treat?  Little boxes of raisins

Least favorite?  Caramels because they hurt my teeth (but they were Mom's favorite so that worked out)

Yes, I guess I grew up in the x-raying candy era since I remember there being an issue with razor blades in candy, among other things.  Mom and Dad let us spread our haul and pick out our favorites but they carefully checked them and, unless something was made by a neighbor we knew well, we weren't allowed to eat anything homemade.  We could eat several pieces that night but they would put the rest in a bag and let us have them in small quantities over time.  We rarely ever finished eating the candy.  The rest was given away or tossed.

Favorite candy from childhood that doesn't exist anymore is actually not a candy, it was raisin biscuits.  I also really liked the little cloth tie string bags full of bubble gum pieces.  Do those still exist?

We never had our candy x-rayed, but my mom did throw out homemade treats.

I think that we were allowed to eat whatever we wanted.

I love most chocolate, especially 3 Musketeers, York Peppermint Patties, and Mounds.

The candy that I miss the most are candy cigarettes.  Nothing else tastes like them.

Favorite candy?  Little packets of candy corn.

Other favorite treat?  Little boxes of raisins

Least favorite?  Caramels because they hurt my teeth (but they were Mom's favorite so that worked out)

Yes, I guess I grew up in the x-raying candy era since I remember there being an issue with razor blades in candy, among other things.  Mom and Dad let us spread our haul and pick out our favorites but they carefully checked them and, unless something was made by a neighbor we knew well, we weren't allowed to eat anything homemade.  We could eat several pieces that night but they would put the rest in a bag and let us have them in small quantities over time.  We rarely ever finished eating the candy.  The rest was given away or tossed.

Favorite candy from childhood that doesn't exist anymore is actually not a candy, it was raisin biscuits.  I also really liked the little cloth tie string bags full of bubble gum pieces.  Do those still exist?

Did a pirate themed bday five years ago or so and found the little cloth bags with the gold nugget bubble gum in them.  Those were a hit!

• Like 1

Favorite - Milky Way and 3 Musketeers

Least favorite - carob covered raisins :ack2:,  Hershey's Special Dark which is secret candy code for "brown wax", and religious tracts.  

No parental control over the candy, except we gave all the Mounds & Almond Joy to our mom because they were her faves.

Never heard about x-raying candy at the time.

• Like 1

Least favorite - Jujubees or MaryJanes or those orange slice things.

Favorite - anything chocolate with nuts, caramel, nougat or crunchy stuff.

I also loved Bottle Caps, Wacky Wafers, and those type candies.

I love Tootsie rolls, which is odd considering I hate all those other chewy, sticky candies.

My mother would check over our candy and throw out anything with a torn wrapper or no wrapper.  I was a kid in the 70's.

I was an early 80's trick or treater and I remember hearing about the razors in apples. No x-rays in our house (people had x-ray machines in their houses?) but my mom would make us dump out candy on the living room floor and throw out anything homemade or with a torn wrapper. 

Favorites: reese's peanut butter cups

Least favorite: good n plenty, raisinettes (my dad loved those and happily ate them)

Favorite-Milky Way, 3 Musketeers, $100,000 Bar, Charleston Chew.

Tossed in the trash: Mary Janes, Candy Corn, anything peanut butter.

I don't recall my parents doling it out. I do remember coming home and trading with my cousins.

I also remember the razor blade in the apples, and pins in the candy. No one X-rayed the candy but parents definitely checked when the scares occurred.

Favorite: Junior Mints

Least favorite: those weird peanut buttery taffy things wrapped in orange or black wax paper

Parents sort-of inspected, but not really.

I was the type of kid who ate one or two pieces, then saved/hoarded it all forever & eventually dumped it in the garbage (often the following Halloween). My sister was the type to come in & eat every piece of candy that night (or w/in a few days). My mom liked to snag chocolate candy (Mounds, Baby Ruth, Hershey's) from our stash.

Edited by Stacia
  • Like 1

One thing I had forgotten about until just this moment...I also loved the Halloween themed bubble gum balls with the fake blood inside.  So cool.   :)

Did anyone get stuff that wasn't candy?

I liked the vampire teeth but those probably weren't terribly sanitary.  I loved them anyway, especially the glow in the dark ones.  I also once got a pack of mini-halloween themed playing cards.  I loved those.

Edited by OneStepAtATime
  • Like 1

I was an early 80's trick or treater and I remember hearing about the razors in apples. No x-rays in our house (people had x-ray machines in their houses?) but my mom would make us dump out candy on the living room floor and throw out anything homemade or with a torn wrapper. 

Favorites: reese's peanut butter cups

Least favorite: good n plenty, raisinettes (my dad loved those and happily ate them)

I remember that hospitals offered x-ray services on Halloween if anyone wanted to bring it in to be checked.  I don't know anyone who actually did this though.

• Like 2

Mmmm, my favorites were Three Musketeers, Butterfingers, and Charleston Chews.  Sugar Daddies and Smarties came in a close second.

I didn't like hard candy, hard chewy candy like toffee and tootsie rolls, (and those odd orange and black wrapped chewy candies that others have mentioned), or anything with caramel.

I trick-or-treated in the 60's, and no one knew anything yet about razor blades in candy!  We did get some homemade candy like popcorn balls, but I never really liked them.

My parents didn't monitor my candy eating at all.  Sometimes I'd eat it until I got sick!

The funnest part was trading candy with my siblings.  

• Like 1

Favorite: peanut butter toffees wrapped in orange or black paper

Hated: Tootsie Rolls, Sugar Daddy

Parents did not control the candy. I remember telling myself never to remark upon this because we ate very healthily all year long except at holidays. My mom is German, and I figured she didn't realize she had a choice!

No x-raying of candy. I don't think anyone did that back then, in the era of being invited inside people's homes and getting homemade treats during trick-or-treating.

I don't miss any candy I loved during childhood because it is all still available.

• Like 1

Another 70's kid. I hated homemade stuff, especially candy apples. Also hated halloween kisses. Loved chocolate bars (very rare) and chips (fairly rare) and sunflower seeds (they never give those out now!). My family we controlled our own candy, and did a big trading thing to get more of what you liked and less of what we didn't. No checking of candy really.... more as I was older

Our family.... kids combine everything, and it is doled out over the month.

I actually pretty much hate halloween as an adult.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I did grow up during the candy x-ray era, but my parents didn't do that.  They did inspect stuff though.  My DH said the other day that in Germany they'd often get apples going door to door for another holiday.  I said if we got apples my parents threw them out.  That's what they told people to do.

I have never liked candy all that much.  I liked Butterfingers or peanut butter cups.  I might eat those if I had them, and my mother usually ate the rest of my candy. 

Now pretty much the only candy I kinda like are Twizzlers.  I just like the texture.  The flavor is kinda eh.