Menu

Best strategies for avoiding holiday weight gain?

Laurie4b

Stomach virus and/or food poisoning.

Works every year.

Eek!  That is the worst way to avoid weight gain!

I've been worrying about weight gain during the holidays, too.  There are so many special foods that I don't eat the rest of the year.  Last year, I indulged, avoided the scale, and got back to normal eating in January and the weight came off.  But, since I turned 49 this year, I gain weight much easier and have to cut back to maintain my weight.  I'm not sure I can get away with holiday eating again like I did last year.

Probably not helpful for everyone, but here goes --

Just being around such an over abundance of food and seeing so many people seriously over indulge is a huge appetite suppressant for me. So . . . mostly all I have to do is pay attention to what's going on around me in order to control my own appetite.

I know I'm probably weird, but I've always been like ^^that.^^ I can NOT stand to go to an all-you-can-eat buffet restaurant for the same reason.

• Like 4

Just being around such an over abundance of food and seeing so many people seriously over indulge is a huge appetite suppressant for me. So . . . mostly all I have to do is pay attention to what's going on around me in order to control my own appetite.

I know I'm probably weird, but I've always been like ^^that.^^ I can NOT stand to go to an all-you-can-eat buffet restaurant for the same reason.

This does make sense to me.

Seeing people with overflowing plates at a buffet curbs my appetite.

Being with women who are exclaiming "oooh, I was going to be good today but those chocolate truffles are irresistible!"  just shuts me down.  I'll show them how irresistible the truffles are!   I hate it when people characterize themselves as bad or good depending on how they eat.   Or, characterize food as good or bad.  It annoys me and I can't eat when I'm annoyed.  (Well, usually.  if that were universally true, I'd be much thinner.)

This does not mean I am great at controlling myself in other situations - just social ones.   :-)

Edited by marbel
  • Like 3

For me, accepting that a holiday is a single day, and not a month-long extravaganza, was key.  I indulge on Thanksgiving Day and eat what I want without worries.  Black Friday, it's back to business.  No more indulging until Christmas Day itself.  And again, the next day, right back to my usual diet and routine.

• Like 12

I try to have an eating window of 8 hrs a day (11am-7pm or similar). I find that it helps keep my appetite in check. I also try to eat only  things I really like if I'm going to splurge. So I can say no to most treats unless it's something I love. And then I can enjoy the splurge. In theory. :-) Not always easy to practice what you preach though!! 

• Like 3

Make sure I get at least 30min of exercise 5 days a week. If I'm active, I'm less stressed and less prone to eat sugary stuff.

I have not been able to lose weight (except when depressed) by cutting back on food alone. However, if I exercise regularly, my sweet tooth diminishes and I can exercise better portion control. So if I focus on controlling food, I end up more focused on food. If I focus on exercise, I end up focused on feeling better and therefore eating less.

My goal is 5x40 min each week because that is the amount that studies have shown to be effective wrt depression and I tend to seasonal depression.

Emily

• Like 3

Stomach virus and/or food poisoning.

Works every year.

In a sort of similar thing, be a vegetarian in an extended family of only meat eaters. Also disliking, as in strongly disliking mashed potatoes helps. For me as a kid all holidays related to food left me feeling really hungry. I also don't like any kids of desert pies.

• Like 1

I have an exercise machine in my home, so bad weather does not stop me from moving.

Also, before a holiday gathering I drink a lot of water so I don't mistake thirst for hunger.

I only take food I love.  No choking down the squash because someone made it.  A lot of times the food I love is mostly served during the appetizer portion of the meal, and often it involves fresh veggies, which fill you up without a lot of calories.  Small quantities, only the stuff I love, that's the ticket to moderation for me.  

Something new that I have been working on--when I go to gatherings I get my food, put it at my place at the table, and then go around and talk to people, drinking water or coffee, for about 15-20 minutes before sitting down to eat.  Then I eat what I took, or less, and then I'm done.  Sometimes I'm so enjoying the conversations that I get up before I'm finished and go talk with someone else.  This reduces overall consumption.  I can't apply that at a dinner, but it will work for the appetizer phase I think.

Edited by Carol in Cal.
  • Like 2

1. Count each party as a full meal. Afternoon work Christmas party means I don't have lunch before or dinner afterwards, and often skip both. Thanksgiving dinner means  little else that day. That way I can eat as much as I want without feeling guilty.

2. Holidays means time off work, so extra time to hike and be active. treats taste double good after a long hike or on the trail.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 2

One thing I've noticed is that if I am very good about sweets for a while, things don't seem as good to me later. So I will be satisfied with just one cookie and not want a ton. Or I'll ask myself if something is really worth the carbs. Oddly, I will sometimes decide that it isn't. Put the sweets where they aren't staring you in the face all the time but away in containers in the pantry or something.

And I will eat whatever I want on Thanksgiving and not feel guilty. One day isn't the problem. We tend to have a more casual Christmas Day food setup, so there will be plenty of lower carb/higher protein foods naturally (cheese, nuts, soup), and not so many starchy things.

I'm pregnant and at higher risk for gestational diabetes due to family history, so I'm monitoring my blood sugar levels. I am especially sensitive to spikes from sugar/bread in the morning, so I really strive to keep breakfast low carb, high protein, and high fat. Not only does that keep me satisfied longer, but I really think it lowers the sugar cravings for later, which is why one cookie will be enough. So, protein snacks through the day to keep blood sugar levels stable too.

And water. Lots of water.

• Like 1

Today's oversight aside, I stay on plan and focus on trying new on plan recipes, avoid ANY cookie exchange, and allow myself to eat a few of my favorites ONLY ON one of the holidays. I pick Christmas or Thanksgiving depending on the menu, and I enjoy myself, but don't gorge. Then I'm very strict to get back on plan the very next meal with no bargaining with myself. It's hard but it works.

Well, considering our dietary restrictions a lot of the worse things we can't eat anyway. Otherwise, I like to make my own healthier(and yummier treats) and I don't keep gorging day after day. I generally have a few really big eating days and that is it. Quite often I'll eat before going or at least eat something decent so I'm not starving and wanting to eat everything. I don't generally like eating as a social event, I'm fine with chatting with people while they eat. My activity continues on as well.

• Like 1

Me too.

• Like 1

My strategy this year is to just avoid everyone. No big meals and expectations that I over eat and no starting a fight by calling out adult bullies on their behavior.

Not the strategy for everyone, only those finding themselves becoming more and more anti-social (or is it anti-BS?) as they age. Either way, not participating in the cultural expectation of over eating is one way to avoid gaining weight.

• Like 2

Btw-we have an awesome "holiday melt" Facebook group going for this very reason-to motivate, encourage and keep us on track. It's open to anyone, whether you choose to cleanse or not. We have 2000+ people so far but the group is closing next week. Recipes, training, live vdeo tips and daily nuggets of advice! Pm

me if you want to be added-it's going to be so fun!

It's been a long process, but I've been finally losing weight since this summer after years of hit-or-miss. I'm in menopause, so that's a factor.

For me, it's very much about portion control. If I'm at an event, I pick one main dish, two healthy vegetables, and a small dessert. I take my time to pick what I really, really want to eat.

Then I move away from the food and focus on talking to the people.

Just at home, I eat five small meals a day with protein and fiber. At lunch and dinner, I eat small main dish and two healthy vegetables.

I also go to the gym four days a week and drink lots of water.

My goal is actually to be down 10 pounds by the end of December when I have routine bloodwork and an appointment with my doctor.

• Like 2

This is silly but really helps when I'm prepping the big meals. I can eat an entire thanksgiving dinner before it even gets out to the table by just sampling a bite of this or that to check seasonings. Now I chomp sugar free gum or mints while I'm cooking. Probably saves me 1000 calories or more.

Also bring healthy dishes to events and make lots of healthy ones for your own events. I love to have lots of veggie sides - huge green salad, dill green beans, roasted cauliflower, veggie tray with healthy dip, etc. That gives me something to fill my plate. Then I can have small portions of the high calorie holiday treats.

On small portions of favorite holiday treats - turns out my memory of those foods is usually better than the actual taste. Not sure if it's cause I've gotten older or what but now it seems like just one or two bites is plenty.

• Like 1

I got put of the habit of using My Fitness Pal all summer and fall, so regained some weight though I did not feel like I was overeating. Grrrrrr

I am back to using it and will track every morsel I eat so if I really want to build in the calories for a dessert here or there, I am recording it and either burning the calories the next day by eating less or exercising longer.

I joined a gym too. I do not like the expense, however in our rural area we do not have sidewalks or safe roads with wide shoulders for walking. Additionally it gets so icy, that even if we had somewhere to walk, one would be risking a lot of injury to do it. Being more sedentary in the winter is just killing my metabolism which is already stubbornly slow.

So as much ad I do not like it, 3 times - 4 times per week I drive to the gym, get on the stationary bike and hoof it for 35 minutes, get on the rowing machine for 10 minutes, and spend 15 minutes with light weights.

Blech

• Like 3

1.  Walk every single morning without fail (except I have been sick for over a month so that hasn't happened in a while and I am hoping I can get back into that routine before holidays hit).

2. Eat a healthy breakfast every single morning without fail.

3.  Eat whatever I want on Thanksgiving day and Christmas Eve and Christmas Day (two different family celebrations) but no overindulgence on the days leading up to or after those days.

• Like 1

In a sort of similar thing, be a vegetarian in an extended family of only meat eaters. Also disliking, as in strongly disliking mashed potatoes helps. For me as a kid all holidays related to food left me feeling really hungry. I also don't like any kids of desert pies.

I remember being that kid!  I hated donuts, pies, pretty much all desserts.  Unfortunately, I think my sweet tooth appeared with my wisdom teeth...

For the holidays, what about:

- Having a strategy.  Print out a calendar and mark out all the meals that won't be in your home.  If you know the menu for these meals ahead of time, you an decide where and if you want to splurge.  If Aunt Deb makes terrible mashed potatoes, but Aunt Edna makes wonderful ones, plan accordingly.  

- Hosting meals, if possible.  This way, you can make healthy but decadent items that you know fit your nutrition needs.  If possible, send the leftovers home with the guests, or have a healthy option planned for the day after and give the leftovers to the kids.

- Don't even bother with unplanned parties, i.e. office parties and etc.  Be social, have a low-cal drink, and maybe a few olives, but definitely don't waste calories on some so-not-worh-it store-bought cookies or cakes.  Just because there's food doesn't mean you have to eat it.  Let that be the policy if you are "surprised" with some little party.  "Oh I just ate a HUGE lunch!  But I'd love a coffee/tea!"

• Like 1