Menu

Has anybody been watching the GBBO Season 7? Wanna chat? (spoilers likely)

umsami

Victoria sandwich is so nice.  You can do it! You don't have to make your own jam and buttercream is optional.  But really, go for it!

http://www.maryberry.co.uk/recipes/great-british-bake-off-recipes/victoria-sandwich

The picture here has buttercream shown, but the directions and recipe don't call for it. That makes it a very easy snack cake. One thing to know is that it's an unusually (to me) thick cake batter. It's not pourable and you have to spread it out in the pan. It won't spread out on it's own. Every time I make it I have to remind myself not to panic, that I haven't forgotten anything.  Every now and then I add a little milk to loosen up the batter and it doesn't seem to make a big difference either way.

We watched it and were very happy. The right person absolutely won, but man, it really could have gone either way for the whole series. I could not call it until the judging of the show stoppers. I knew the two women would be in the final, that was clear from the beginning, but the man surprised me...well, not surprised but he was not a ringer for the final three. There were many worthy candidates. But that is how it should be.

• Like 1

Yes, I would have been happy with any of the top five winning, actually.  Liked so many people on the series. 

It was kind of heartbreaking for me to realize that this was the last GBBO.  Will not be the same with Mary, Mel, or Sue, IMHO.  No way, no how. 

Heard that Nadya signed some deal with the BBC for a show after her "The Chronicles of Nadya" was so well received. 

We're loving GBBO here.

My kids particularly love how friendly and helpful and nice they all are. They have been rooting for Andrew since the start - he's a local lad to us and the kids love spotting his use of rulers and multiple timers and engineering in everything. They still have a couple more episodes to watch [we just watched the Tudor one today, marzipan is a household favourite] and I'm sure they'll be very happy he makes it so far. 

My spouse and I were talking while we watched it today. A few thing we've seen through the series I or the kids have been interested in making, but mostly it's nice seeing others do it and see that even the best have bad days. To praphrase what was said during the pastry challenge, life is too short to make some of these, I'm happy to take my jam and marzipan from the shop  :lol:

• Like 1

Have you watched the GBBO Extra Slice after each episode? It's great fun. They have out takes from the show, the last person who left the tent is invited on, hilarious pictures of cakes that are sent in and bakes from the audience. The whole thing makes me laugh out loud. :D

• Like 1

Have you watched the GBBO Extra Slice after each episode? It's great fun. They have out takes from the show, the last person who left the tent is invited on, hilarious pictures of cakes that are sent in and bakes from the audience. The whole thing makes me laugh out loud. :D

we LIVE for extra slice! The bake fails cracks us up!   I adore Jo Brand. I wish I could find other shows she is on. I think she's really funny and clever. 

And it is SO funny to see that my almost 12 year old can now understand the silly innuendo jokes she makes. That kid loves him a fart joke.

• Like 2

Is it possible to watch online? Just checked the pbs app but didn't see the current season on there (unless I was looking in the wrong spot?!)...

I've been watching on Youtube, but if you have TunnelBear it may work.  I would just Google Wednesday night for GBBO season 7, and usually somebody would have it up.  It often got taken down by Saturday, though.  You may have luck finding the episodes now though.  Then you can binge watch! :D

• Like 1

yes, some kind soul has been posting them to youtube as fast as they air.  Totally illegal, btw, so i suggest you move quickly if you want to see them. I'm sort of shocked that the BBC isn't moving faster to getting them down ASAP.  Makes me wonder if they have decided they don't care that much, given the current situation with Love Productions.

I have a tunnel bear subscription and have been watching GBBO and extra slice that way. But sometimes it is down so I've resorted to youtube. 

• Like 2