Menu

what is this book?

athomeontheprairie

15-20 years ago I read a book.

It was a sci-fi type book about a society that put a helmet on every child at a certain age (I think). The helmet was a type of mind control device. The main character-a boy- either didn't get a helmet or his body rejected the helmet.

And I think there's a giant robot in it. Possibly on the cover also.

Book sleuths, does anyone know?

Edited by athomeontheprairie

This is it! Thank you!

As always, the knowledge of the hive never ceases to amaze me.

It was really my google search skills. I remembered mountain was in the title, it was science fiction, and the author had Christopher in the name so I put those in Google and the book popped up.

• Like 1

There's another book, though, maybe I read it in 6th grade. The main thing I remember is that there was only one person, an old man, who had the ability to remember sensations. Then there was a little boy, and the man was passing the skill to him. I especially remember he fell, and the man touched him, and then his leg hurt very badly. Later, you get the idea that he was experiencing a broken leg. Anybody know what this book is?

The Giver?

• Like 2

There's another book, though, maybe I read it in 6th grade. The main thing I remember is that there was only one person, an old man, who had the ability to remember sensations. Then there was a little boy, and the man was passing the skill to him. I especially remember he fell, and the man touched him, and then his leg hurt very badly. Later, you get the idea that he was experiencing a broken leg. Anybody know what this book is?

The Giver, by Lois Lowry, right?

• Like 2

Just this morning, I was remembering a book for my daughter, and I had the words: dolls, attic, uncle. A Google search later: Behind the Attic Wall. A great book if your tween likes spooky reads.

:001_wub: One of my favorite childhood books!

I bought an old library-binding copy at a Barnes & Noble store that was closing. None of my kids ever wanted to read it. Sigh. But it gives me a good feeling to see it on the shelf.

• Like 1