Menu

Travel for Teens

Took one look at the website and think this is completely nuts.

$4k for two weeks in Europe? One can do that independently for a fraction of this amount. ETA: just looked at the details: the $4,300 don't even include the air fare! Ridiculous!

I would not be willing to pay this kind of money.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 3

I've never heard of or used any travel group, but my family travels a lot. What I've seen by observing these groups is that they look a lot like really expensive fields trips...kids goofing off, not really taking in the sights, hanging out with each other, on phones, English speaking guide... It just hasn't appeared that they're a great cultural experience (which I think is hard to do with 30 teens in a group).

With good planning you could do the trip yourself so much cheaper. Spy cheap tickets (these trips are usually peak), get an air B&B or cheaper hotel, eat local (we use local groceries a lot), and take in the sights. If you plan ahead and buy museum tickets online you usually skip 90% of lines. I know it sounds daunting but it's so much better an experience.

• Like 2

I can understand what the others have said, and we've done a lot of traveling as a family so know where to look and how to plan, and how to travel very inexpensively (and safely) when we need to.  But if you have never traveled before internationally and are unable to accompany your child, and you have the money, the price isn't so unreasonable for a regular tour rather than a budget traveler.  I can see how the price adds up.  If you round airfare to $1,000, accommodations to $500 (that's $50/ day for 10 days), $500 for meals (that's $50/day for 10 days), $1,000 for all the extra adventures, $500 for additional in-country travel, that adds up to $3,500.  The company has to make money too, and pay its staff.

If you have the money and want to do that, I don't think it's completely unreasonable.  I'd be more concerned about safety, chaperones, is it a learning atmosphere or just a party atmosphere, etc.  You can probably read third-party reviews to learn more about it.  I would guess there are other teen tour groups too.  I'd probably spend a lot of time exploring all that are available, reading reviews, etc.  There might be another type of option as well, like an international teen camp that has more of an academic (or hobby) emphasis, rather than just a travel tour group.

ETA:  I see that its prices don't include airfare;  hadn't noticed that before.  Well, I still don't think it's completely unreasonable (again, for a non-budget traveler), though I'd definitely check around and compare.

Edited by J-rap

$4k for two weeks in Europe? One can do that independently for a fraction of this amount. ETA: just looked at the details: the $4,300 don't even include the air fare! Ridiculous!

Wow!!

I asked my son if he wanted to go on a 2 week trip with classmates this year but he said of course not, that he could travel for the entire summer for the amount asked and not have to be herded around by some teacher.

At least his $3000 trip did include airfare.

Edited by TranquilMind

Totally agree! How does one plan a trip to say Japan on their own? I am talking about a teen travelling without parent. Any input appreciated. We have travelled to Europe quite a bit, and I would feel fairly comfortable putting something together in that area. Asia, however, is a completely different world for me.

Wow!!

I asked my son if he wanted to go on a 2 week trip with classmates this year but he said of course not, that he could travel for the entire summer for the amount asked and not have to be herded around by some teacher.

At least his $3000 trip did include airfare.

Love the 'herded around' phrase. My son could have said this as well.

• Like 1

Totally agree! How does one plan a trip to say Japan on their own? I am talking about a teen travelling without parent. Any input appreciated. We have travelled to Europe quite a bit, and I would feel fairly comfortable putting something together in that area. Asia, however, is a completely different world for me.

Honestly, if I could not put together a trip for my teen because I am unfamiliar with the area and cant figure it out, then my teen would simply have to wait a few years until he could sort this out himself. It does not have to be Japan as a teen. 

But I guess there are people who have that kind of money and are willing to spend it...

But I think, Japan being a civilized safe country, one should be able to plan a trip for a teen with sufficient time and research. 

• Like 3

Have you thought about an exchange program?

Three summers ago, we hosted our first exchange student from Spain through Andeo International Homestays. "D" was here for a month.  The following summer, our son flew on his own to Spain and stayed with D's family for a month.  They traveled extensively in Spain and then the boys flew back to the States so D could spend another month with us.  Our son's month in Spain cost his airfare and about $200 in spending money.  Of course, when his friend is here with us, there is the cost of hosting and traveling with him. 

You could do an exchange with Japan and then your son could do his own thing. My dh and his siblings lived in Japan for many years and still go back every so often; I'll see what he suggests.

• Like 3

Three summers ago, we hosted our first exchange student from Spain through Andeo International Homestays. "D" was here for a month.  The following summer, our son flew on his own to Spain and stayed with D's family for a month.  They traveled extensively in Spain and then the boys flew back to the States so D could spend another month with us.  Our son's month in Spain cost his airfare and about $200 in spending money.  Of course, when his friend is here with us, there is the cost of hosting and traveling with him. 

You could do an exchange with Japan and then your son could do his own thing. My dh and his siblings lived in Japan for many years and still go back every so often; I'll see what he suggests.

Thank you Lisa!

This is an excellent idea. I don't know why that didn't occur to me. :-)

That's awesome.  One of mine did a similar exchange with a Mexican student through school, though it was only 2 weeks. 

Edited by TranquilMind