Menu

What dessert do I want? Suggestions...

sheryl

Hot fruit compote: mix about 5 cups of frozen fruit (ie blueberries) with a little water (1/4 cup?) and 1 or 2 tbsp of 'minute tapioca' (a dry product, not a made pudding). Microwave or bring to a boil another way, and boil/simmer for maybe 3 more minutes. It will thicken into something like pie filling, getting somewhat thicker as it cools to edible temperature.

Edited by bolt.
  • Like 2

This is my mom's rice pudding recipe.  It makes 4-6 servings.

1/2 cup uncooked rice (not instant)

1/2 tsp salt (you can get by with less, maybe even half)

1/4 cup sugar (you can get by with less, maybe even half)

1/4 tsp cinnamon or nutmeg, depending on your mood

2 1/2 cups milk (she would use 2% milk, try 1%?)

1/2 cup seedless raisins

Combine all ingredients in the top of a double boiler.  Cook, covered, over boiling water until rice is tender and milk is almost absorbed, stirring occasionally (about 1 hour).  Serve while warm.

• Like 2

Is fruit sugar ok? 

Sorbet isn't low in sugar, but you don't need to add sugar to it. Just the natural sugar in your fruit. 

Depending on how low fat you are looking for, real whipped cream can add a lot of yummm factor to any fruit. Some things like baked apples don't need lots of extra sugar, but by adding a few tortilla crisps with cinnamon and sugar makes it seem special.

Sometimes if you really want a treat but don't want the guilt, you can eat something savory, that is a little on the sweet side.  Like yams with a bit of brown sugar and cinnamon. 

Some Moroccan meals have a sweet taste with allspice/cinnamon.  Sometimes when I eat a meal with those flavors, I don't really want a dessert afterwards. 

• Like 2

I'm impressed.  I like all of these. 

Kebo, spot on!  I was thinking today on the way to the store about applesauce.  I  think apples may be high in carbs so I thought, instead of baked apples, what about baked pears?  I like the baked peaches idea a lot!

Do you live the skin on?  Also, have you tried baked pears?

Banana Ice Cream

When bananas just get their first brown spots, peel, slice, and then freeze until frozen. Place into a food processor or Vitamix and pulse/blend. The frozen banana chunks will break into little pieces at first but if you tamp them down with a rubber spatula and pulse, it will turn into a soft serve "ice cream." We sometimes throw in a frozen strawberry or two or cocoa powder to make different flavors but it's pretty nice to make a satisfying dessert using only one ingredient.

• Like 1

Do you live the skin on?  Also, have you tried baked pears?

I do leave the skin on the peaches.  It doesn't bother me and I figure it's healthier.  When I have made baked pears however, the skin is peeled because it can be gritty.  

The banana "ice cream" mentioned above is surprisingly satisfying!  My kids like the cocoa variation, but plain is really good too, assuming you like bananas. 

• Like 1

This banana bread recipe has low added sugar (3/4c for two decent sized loaves) and no fat other than what comes from the eggs and walnuts. It ends up being about 20% fat. Her measurements are for sifted flour -- I'd use 8 oz. When I make it I add some more spice but you don't have to. 

http://www.grouprecipes.com/14816/fanny-farmers-banana-nut-bread.html

• Like 1