Menu

Ideas for one-handed activities for my 14 yo DS

SebastianCat

My 14 year old DS broke a bone in his finger on his right (dominant) hand, and he's now in a "clam digger" cast which goes from mid-forearm to the tips of his fingers, with all 4 fingers wrapped together and only the thumb free.   He cannot write or do much of anything with this hand.   We keep reminding each other that it's only 3 weeks (actually 19 days, 18 hours and counting...).

I think we've figured out how to do school.   He has been dictating much of his written work using his phone, then sending it to me via email.   I print it out and put it into the notebook where previously he hand-wrote the answers.   He has dictated an English paper, and can type with his left hand enough to make revisions.   Of his outsourced classes, Spanish is completely online and all of his assignments are either typed or spoken recordings.    Chemistry and Geometry have been the most difficult, but I've been "scribing" for him and that is working OK.

The biggest problem is what to do AFTER school.   He is on the cross country team at our local high school, and while their season just ended, the team is still practicing 4-5 x per week.   He cannot run, jump, or do any PE, so no practice.   He's been refereeing soccer games at a local rec league on Saturdays, and *might* be able to continue that on Saturdays.   

But he cannot play the XBox, build Legos, write anything, play any kind of ball game, fish, play guitar or piano, etc.    He spent some time working today on a computer animation program, played a game on his tablet, and went to my DD's soccer practice just to hang out with some of his friends who practice at the same time.   He can also walk, swim (our temps are still in the mid-80s here, so it's warm enough and the cast is waterproof), read, watch TV, or walk the dog.

Can any of you help me out with some other ideas for what a 14-year-old could do one-handed, with his non-dominant hand?

Can any of you help me out with some other ideas for what a 14-year-old could do one-handed, with his non-dominant hand?

How frustrating for him and for you.

Games ~

Scrabble

He could play card games if you purchase or improvise a card holder. I'm thinking of something like this:  14" Curved Shape Wooden Card Holders

Could he work out his lower body at a gym on an exercise bike or other equipment?

Aren't there piano pieces for one hand?

Regards,

Kareni

I'd scribe all his written work, make sure he gets some long walks in, and let him play extra video games. This might be a good time to scale back on anything not directed by an outside teacher and take a few field trips. It's only a few weeks. Also, I'd be tempted to make appointments for the dentist or eye doctor if they're due. There's never a good time for those so you might as well use up this less-productive time.