Menu

Your Holy Book as a Textbook

I almost started this thread at a private forum, but decided to post it here.

Who uses their Holy Book as a textbook? Can those of us of different religions, or no religion, learn methods that apply to any Holy Book or book that defines a person's worldview and belief system? Is it possible for us to discuss this without breaking into individual belief systems? Are we capable of finding a common goal of finding and tweaking methods that will work for all/most of us.

I tend to think of different religions as different languages. As attempts by humans to explain the unexplainable, to ground, to create community, to engage in ritual during major life changes, etc. And like languages, some are more useful than others for different things. Italian is great for opera; German isn't. English and German are great for science; Inuit languages are not. Inuit languages have more words for snow than other languages, though.

There are methods of learning any language that people are able to share. Maybe there are methods of using a Holy Book as a textbook that we can all share?

I have been reading The Complete Writer and TWTM 4th edition logic level outlining skills and have been thinking how perfectly they can be used with the Bible, and I think other Holy Books and maybe even books like the Communist Manifesto. I couldn't really figure out how to apply those writing methods to a tarot deck which I think of as the pagan Bible, but tarot does make great writing prompts.

This thread is either going to be a legendary mess, or we could maybe come up with some new ideas that would be welcome and grounding as we hit the holidays and winter months, when it gets cold, and many of us are broke and depressed, and just looking to sink into the comfort of a Holy Book but feeling it needs to be pushed aside to make room for a box.

I'd like to try to discuss this. But if I need to just sit back and laugh at mess, that is okay, too.

Edited by Hunter
  • Like 6

I no longer have Student of the Word and am kind of missing it this week.

http://www.sowcurriculum.com

But not having stuff makes me grow and develop more creativity. So I figure it is good I don't have it anymore. And I never used it "right" anyway. Especially not being a Christian anymore. Bible based unit studies are just something I always gravitate back to, though.

Today, I am thinking about SOW style word studies and trying to remember what they included and where they would fit into the trivium stages and TWTM writing sequence.

A lot of Holy Book languages have different alphabets. Word studies can or not include study of the original word using the original alphabet. Where does introducing a new alphabet best fit into learning handwriting? After the transition to cursive? Is transliteration enough for all of the grammar stage? Is Logic level a good time to hit the alphabet hard and some important vocabulary, but leave intensive grammar lessons and topical studies to rhetoric? Or would full language study be the preparation for rhetoric topical studies?

TWTM writing logic level is mostly outline and summaries of what someone ELSE wrote. So that would be mostly outlining and summarizing Holy Book chapters?

Rhetoric thesis would be more topical studies? So researching what a Holy Book says about marriage would be a rhetoric lesson?

SOW had all students doing all types of lessons, just at leveled expectations. But I'm wondering if dividing up the types of Bible study by trivium level, might be more effective.

• Like 1

What about literal translations compared to modern English translations?

Teaching English grammar is harder with very literal translation as they often break the rules most commonly taught to beginners. Older traditional public domain translations have the same problem as punctuation rules have changed. Older AND literal translations make me :banghead: when attempting to use them as copy work.

For the Christian Bible, the NIrV makes excellent dictation lessons for basic rigid beginner punctuation lessons, but it doesn't have the beauty of the KJV.

I have personally come to the conclusion that punctuation is a STYLE, and that it changes with time and audience. I really appreciate the book "The Best Punctuation Book, Period" by June Casagrande as it explains the punctuation style differences I have encountered so often, that others keep telling me don't exist.

I have also been studying the history of punctuation. Not an easy task! I have yet to come across an explanation of the colon and semicolon use in the KJV.

Memory work of anything Zondervan is a waste of time. I get that "modern" means constant updates to the ever changing version of modern, but it isn't efficient for memory work.

How important is punctuation style compared to syntax style? "Properly" punctuated but "ugly" and short sentences might not be better for copy work? Then have the translation go out of print, to boot? But copywork from the KJV makes me :banghead: yes, I know I already wrote that! But it really makes me :banghead:

• Like 1

Maybe there are methods of using a Holy Book as a textbook that we can all share?

I'll tell you what we've done (so far) that could apply to other texts. Our text is the Holy Bible, both the Old Testament and the New Testament.

1. Learn the structure of the text, according to your faith tradition.    [For us, Kindergarten, 1st, 2nd, 3rd grades]

• The basic structure of the Bible (for us) is: Old Testament (39 books) + New Testament (27 books) = 66 books
  • Students learn to sing, recite, and correctly spell all the names of the Bible books.
  • The Old Testament (for us) is divided into the following groups of books:
    • Books of the Law (Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy)
    • Books of History (Joshua, Judges, Ruth, 1 & 2 Samuel, 1 & 2 Kings, 1 & 2 Chronicles, Ezra, Nehemiah, Esther)
    • Books of Hebrew Wisdom & Poetry (Job, Psalms, Proverbs, Ecclesiastes, Song of Songs)
    • Books of Prophecy
      • "Major Prophets" (Isaiah, Jeremiah, Lamentations, Ezekiel, Daniel)
      • "Minor Prophets" (Hosea, Joel, Amos, Obadiah, Jonah, Micah, Nahum, Habakkuk, Zephaniah, Haggai, Zechariah, Malachi)
  • The New Testament (for us) is divided into the following groups of books:
    • Gospels (Matthew, Mark, Luke, John)
    • Historical theology (Acts)
    • Epistles = "a letter sent by an apostle" (simple definitions at this point)
      • Pauline Epistles (Romans, 1 & 2 Corinthians, Galatians, Ephesians, Philippians, Colossians, 1 & 2 Thessalonians, 1 & 2 Timothy, Titus, Philemon)
      • General Epistles (Hebrews, James, 1 & 2 Peter, 1 & 2 & 3 John, Jude)
    • Apocalypse (Revelation)

2. Learn basic reference skills related to the text.   [For us, 3rd, 4th, 5th grades]

• Students learn how to "look up" passages in the text. (Ex.: "Find Psalm 100:4")
  • Students practice looking up passages to become more proficient in this basic skill.
  • Students study the tools within the text itself, just as the TOC, glossary, maps, index, concordance, book introductions, possibly notes. We discuss which parts of the text are "sacred and inspired" and which parts are added by Bible revision committees. ;)
  • Students learn how to use a simple Bible atlas.
  • Students learn how to use a simple Bible concordance.
  • Students learn how to use a basic Bible handbook.
  • Students learn how to use a Bible encyclopedia.
  • Students learn how to use a Bible commentary.
  • Students learn how to use other relevant reference tools and skills.
  • (Ongoing) Consider which (if any) reference skills and tools may be related to the specific text being studied, and apply those at the time.

3. Learn the geographical context related to the text.   [For us, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th grades]

• At this point, we start to do some basic map work on the Bible regions in ancient times -- Mesopotamia (Sumer, Assyria, Babylon, Persia), Egypt, Israel, Edom, Moab, Lebanon, Syria, Asia Minor, Greece, Rome, and so on. Where on the map do we find ____________? What is near that? Who were their neighbors? What routes go through there? And so on.
  • We also take a look at topographical maps, because these often reveal what "flat" maps lack. For example, why does the psalmist say "go up to the house of the LORD?" The topo map shows us that Jerusalem was on an escarpment, so to get there from any direction, you literally go up.
  • (Ongoing) Consider geographical aspects related to the specific text being studied, and apply those at the time.

4. Learn the cultural context(s) related to the text.     [For us, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th grades & up]

• Study the agriculture, animal husbandry, clothing, housing, cooking, trades, and daily life of Bible-era people.
  • Study the family patterns, education, hospitality, wedding traditions, birth traditions, funeral traditions, and other relational aspects of Bible-era people.
  • Study the calendar, festivals, fasts, religious symbols, religious structures, and traditions of Bible-era people.
  • (Ongoing) Consider cultural context related to the specific text being studied, and apply those at the time.

5. Learn the literary genres within the text and how to read these genres.  [For us, 7th, 8th, 9th grades]

• Students explore each biblical literary genre and learn some generally accepted "rules" for how to read it:
    • Choosing a translation
    • Epistles
    • Hebrew Narrative
    • Acts
    • Gospels
    • Parables
    • Law
    • Prophets
    • Psalms
    • Wisdom
    • Revelation
  • How to Read the Bible for All Its Worth, by Gordon Fee is probably the accompanying text we will use when we solidly reach this point (7th/8th grade?). The list of topics (above) is taken directly from Fee's table of contents.

6. Learn some of the story behind the text, that is, its composition and canonization.   [For us, 8th, 9th, 10th?]

• Again, we are not at this point, except for a basic overview of "How the Bible Came to Be." As the girls mature, we hope to investigate how the specific books of what we call "The Holy Bible" came to be considered so.
  • What were the church councils that related to canonization? Who were the key persons? What were the arguments for or against something? What other viewpoints were there? What did other people say?
  • I also think that this is possibly the time to reveal some of the "messiness" of a scriptural text. What do detractors and skeptics say? What are the arguments against this text being "the Word of God?" What do we have to say to those arguments, if anything? What are you willing to accept on faith, and what needs a different kind of evidence? How do you know that this text is what you've always believed it to be (e.g., God's inerrant and inspired revelation of himself and his plan of salvation)? How do we move beyond a "memorized answer" approach to the serious questions people raise about the Bible? Are you able to build your life on that belief? What are your options?

7. Learn systematic study methods for the text being considered.  [Possibly 8th-high school?]

• We have a resource I want to use at this point, to work on these skills, I just can't remember the title. Edited to add: I found it! A Treasury of Bible Information: Survey of the Bible, by William Hendriksen.

https://www.christianbook.com/survey-of-the-bible/william-hendriksen/9780801054150/pd/9674?event=ESRCG

• Understanding and Applying the Bible, by Robertson McQuilkin might be a place to start.
  • Also, at this point, I'd like to explore various other methods of Bible study:
    • Topical Study (a particular keyword, e.g., "hospitality")
    • Character Study (one person, e.g., Moses)
    • Chronological Study (events in order of occurrence)
    • Book Study (a single book or set of books, e.g., Ephesians)
    • Word Study (investigating the uses of a particular word)

8. Learn the original languages of the text being studied.  [TBD]

• For us, these would be Biblical Hebrew and Biblical Greek. We may or may not attempt either or both of these.
  • At this point, we are steadily working on Greek roots and the Greek alphabet. Nothing with Hebrew at this point, and no formal study of either biblical language. Perhaps someday?
Edited by Sahamamama2
  • Like 9

My 'holy book' is poetry, and i would never, ever try to use poetry as a textbook. Textbooks are concrete and literal. Poetry is intimate, metaphorical.

Would you teach poetry appreciation with it? With your background, do you value and emphasize poetry more than most boxed curricula?

Part of the Christian Bible is poetry. I have also used Christian hymns for poetry and music studies. Hebrew poetry is fascinating. The history of some types of Christian hymns is fascinating, and some types are amazingly perfect to teach certain skills, because of their intended audience and use.

I hope I'm not offending you Sadie, in any way. I'd just really like to explore the differences in Holy Books that go beyond what is usually talked about.

Talking about poetry vs narratives sounds fascinating and informative to me.

Which Holy Books include poetry? Or are all poetry?

The idea of the vintage home geography texts was to start with the child's home and neighborhood and to gradually branch out from there. For children intensively reared in their Holy Book, that would work beyond geography and include geography?

When first studying rivers, the first rivers introduced would be a local brook/river and the rivers of the Holy Book?

And with everything else, first introduce the home/neighborhood and the Holy Book and then the topic in other places and books?

No, I don't teach poetry appreciation. I don't even really teach it at all. I read a lot to the kids when they were small.

My relationship with poetry is intensely private. I cannot make a pedagogical response.

I don't read a lot of Holy Books :) but the Bible has always been a good source for my own poetry.

Of course you are not offending me!

Privacy in religion. I see that crop up in different religions for some but not all practitioners, no matter what religion.

I would think Holy Book as a textbook would be more natural for parents with a worldview that instructs them to be their child's primary religious teacher.

I had never really though about how much the privacy issue in religion affect the learning opportunities and styles of children.

That gives me a lot to think about.

Edited by Hunter
  • Like 1

For traditional witches, they often instruct children very stealthly. They teach them lots and lots of bits and pieces, but do not draw it all together until the child is older and/or shows a calling.

These children know lots about astronomy and nature and herbs and handcrafts, but never hear certain vocabulary or participate in ritual.

But other Pagans are very open and hands on with kids. And even some traditional practitioners are very open with their children. Or even just not careful with them. Some things are just not fit for children. Of course opinions differ on what is fit for children in every aspect of life, but...children are more fragile than adults and benefit greatly from special protection.

I guess another thing that crosses religion is what parts of the religion are best revealed at a later date. For example with the Christian Bible, is it really best to read straight through the Bible at all ages? Opinions differ on this.

Edited by Hunter
  • Like 1

A lot of Holy Book languages have different alphabets. Word studies can or not include study of the original word using the original alphabet. Where does introducing a new alphabet best fit into learning handwriting? After the transition to cursive? 

I dunno, but dysgraphic dd's handwriting is better in Arabic than English so I think it mightn't matter.

Privacy in religion. I see that crop up in different religions for some but not all practitioners, no matter what religion.

I would think Holy Book as a textbook would be more natural for parents with a worldview that instructs them to be their child's primary religious teacher.

I had never really though about how much the privacy issue in religion affect the learning opportunities and styles of children.

That gives me a lot to think about.

Privacy and intimacy is the dynamic here as well. We use our holy book (the Bible) daily and discuss and memorize, but I really hesitate to do anything beyond that. The intimate relationship cultivated by private reading is too precious to me to push on my children. I do believe that parents should be the primary religious instructors of their children, but it's a delicate situation and I believe more in the "catching" than "teaching" method. I really like Sahamamamas method laid out. That gives me good food for thought. Edited by Mrs. A
  • Like 4

A couple more thoughts - in our Orthodox Christian worship tradition the Bible pervades the atmosphere of daily life. It is everywhere in our services and daily prayers. (That has allowed me to memorize large chunks of scripture without conscious effort.) The big picture is presented and expounded upon throughout the year. I feel like it's an appropriate introduction, while more in depth analytical study can come later. It seems to me that in studying a holy text the big picture ought to come first and then analysis can follow after the foundation has been laid.

• Like 2

Sahamamama2 thanks!

I love how you made the main points generic and then were specific to your Holy Book as an example!

Yes, I think it might be possible to take that list (or similar) and use it to study another text. I don't know what the specifics might be, but I do think it's generic in the main points and fleshed out with specific examples for a study of the Bible (because that's what I know).

I felt like I was forgetting something, though. Anyone?

• Like 1

To be more specific, I think my list is missing a connection to its present-day faith community, if that makes sense. The list of topics covers things like book structure, reference skills, geographical context, cultural/historical context, literary genre(s), study methods, canonization (if applicable), and original language(s). It's missing a study of its role, place, meaning, and authority in the community that still believes in it and lives by it. What does it mean to live by this text? That isn't really in there much, I don't think. It should be, because in order to understand a text, we need to at least try to understand what it means to a believer of it, a disciple of it.

For example, my entire life is lived out in the light of what I find in the Bible. My everyday choices, routines, habits, relationships, hopes, emotions, thoughts, actions, disciplines, prayers, work, rest, and sense of God's personal, loving presence -- these are all profoundly shaped by that specific text, which I do believe is the Word of God. For me, the Bible is not merely a piece of literature to be studied according to "The Seven Methods." No, it is a Book that has authority over me, a book that I believe tells me how I ought to live, and that I try to live out with every fiber of my being.

If you look at my list (above), there really isn't anything on there that addresses this. Help me with this one. I'm trying to articulate it in the same style as the other items on that list.

Edited by Sahamamama2
  • Like 2

With my boys, we also studied church history, biographies of Christians and missionaries, Voice of the Martyrs Magazine, and Operation World prayer guide. And hymn and song study. This covered a lot of history, geography, and current events.

Instead of updating Operation World again it looks like the author has written a new book with a different title. This was our primary geography text.

I also assigned application paragraph writing. Many many years ago, DS2 wrote one paragraph about what the BIBLE said, and one paragraph about what HE thought.

Our Daily Bread and devotion books are good examples of application writing. Also some study and devotional Bibles, and commentaries with an application focus.

We looked topics up in REGULAR encyclopedias, such as Nile River, Rome, camel, dates, and leprosy. Not just Bible resource books.

Kind of an opposite approach,

when reading the newspaper we often did Bible topical research on a topic in the news: famine, drought, marriage, children, slavery, poverty.

We studied art and paintings and architecture of biblical events. I didn't realize how significant this was until an art history professor dragged DS1 out of the hallway and into his class after a failed lesson with his students to see what DS1 knew and how he learned it.

Edited by Hunter
  • Like 2

Ben Franklin wrote a list of 13 Virtues for character development.

http://www.thirteenvirtues.com

Does your religion have a list of virtues and vices? Do you use them to evaluate people in your Holy Book, and maybe novels, and maybe even living people?

Do you have a list of characteristics of your diety? Does he/she/it have a name or multiple names?

At what trivium stage would you introduce this type of character study?