Menu

Has anyone done Space Camp?

mommyoffive

Space camp in Merritt Island, Florida, and Huntsville, Alabama are the two I know of.  Our dd did space camp at the age of 12 in Huntsville. She had a lot of fun.

I think it was worth it. However, in light of the sheer awesomeness of Michigan Technological Universities summer camps and academic offerings for middle and high school, we did not opt for Space Camp for our other kids, and instead they attended MTU for aquatic ecology, robotics, and computer science.

Thinking more about Space Camp - DS really had a blast, and it was well worth it.  I'm going to put in a plug for another camp, for older teens.  Explosives Camp.   :D That was a huge hit.  Whoa.  DS did that one between junior and senior year, I think.  Besides getting out the Mythbusters Itch to explode things, it's actually been useful to him in his career - he still uses what he learned there.  

I knew a kid who did space camp, and he would claim that it was awesome experience, but his mother must have been terrified. He was a bit young for the camp, but some kind of genius so they let him in. First he made friends with a robot, which is weird but not out-of-bounds. Then  when he was in a shuttle, simulating a launch, the robot hacked into the computer and actually set the launch sequence going, and flight control couldn't override. They ended up blasting off into space. Fortunately, they had an actual astronaut with them, but it turned out that the shuttle, since it wasn't supposed to launch, didn't have enough oxygen. The actual astronaut had to do a spacewalk to get some oxygen off a satellite or space station or something, but she had a jetpack malfunction and bumped her head hard enough to put her out of commission. One of the kids had to actually land the shuttle. I mean, the experience must have been amazing, but wow. 

I would still send my kids though. 

• Like 1

I did space camp twice, once before 6th grade and again before 9th grade. Once in Florida and once in Huntsville. Both were great, the second time around was better.

I would send one of my kids (or do a family camp) if one of my kids had the space bug. DD didn't get it and so far DS hasn't either.

I knew a kid who did space camp, and he would claim that it was awesome experience, but his mother must have been terrified. He was a bit young for the camp, but some kind of genius so they let him in. First he made friends with a robot, which is weird but not out-of-bounds. Then  when he was in a shuttle, simulating a launch, the robot hacked into the computer and actually set the launch sequence going, and flight control couldn't override. They ended up blasting off into space. Fortunately, they had an actual astronaut with them, but it turned out that the shuttle, since it wasn't supposed to launch, didn't have enough oxygen. The actual astronaut had to do a spacewalk to get some oxygen off a satellite or space station or something, but she had a jetpack malfunction and bumped her head hard enough to put her out of commission. One of the kids had to actually land the shuttle. I mean, the experience must have been amazing, but wow. 

Ha! That movie made me swear off any future as an astronaut as a kid! The spin-y simulator thing was too much for my motion sickness to even watch, forget ever attempt! 

I knew a kid who did space camp, and he would claim that it was awesome experience, but his mother must have been terrified. He was a bit young for the camp, but some kind of genius so they let him in. First he made friends with a robot, which is weird but not out-of-bounds. Then when he was in a shuttle, simulating a launch, the robot hacked into the computer and actually set the launch sequence going, and flight control couldn't override. They ended up blasting off into space. Fortunately, they had an actual astronaut with them, but it turned out that the shuttle, since it wasn't supposed to launch, didn't have enough oxygen. The actual astronaut had to do a spacewalk to get some oxygen off a satellite or space station or something, but she had a jetpack malfunction and bumped her head hard enough to put her out of commission. One of the kids had to actually land the shuttle. I mean, the experience must have been amazing, but wow.

Bwahahahahahahahahahaha

Sides splitting! :D

I have taken a group twice. It was MUCH cheaper to meet their minimum group requirement and go in the winter than to go for a week in the summer. If you belong to a co -op or homeschool group, see if you can get a group together. We did the three day weekend. Both times we went, there we were the only group staying in the dorms. It was great to have the place so quiet. The food was awful, but we had enough adults to run out and get us something to eat. I have a food allergy, and I was hungry. 

Edited to add: we went to the space center in Huntsville

Edited by lmrich