Menu

Cat people when your indoor/outdoor cat comes in limping UPDATE

lynn

and shows you somethings wrong then cries when you pick her up or pet her on her shoulder, when do you decide it's time for the vet? She also feels warmer than normal.

Thankfully it was just a bug bite. The vet gave her a shot of antibiotics and some oral antibiotics to give her for a few days. Vet said to come back if cat develops an abscess. I looked up how to care for an abscess on line can I take care of this at home or better to bring her back to the vet?

Edited by lynn

This has happenned a couple times to me. Has always been a cut on the foot. I normally wait 12-24 hours and if still in pain or in my case ...showing obvious signs of infection ..I take it in.

My cat is very quiet...so if he is complaining about something...it hurts. Plus swelling and extra sleepiness ( for a cat) are other signs it needs a vet trip.

If kitty has no obvious injuries and is complaining a lot upon touch then I wouldnt wait because Id be worried about internal injuries. Id only wait if it seemed the injury was localised like limping or a small sized cut and only complaining when touching the leg.

Edited by sewingmama

I would take her in. The crying when picked up would concern me more than the limping.

Good luck.

Yes. This. Sounds like she could possibly have internal injuries. May have been hit by a car or something. I'd definitely have it checked out, and I am not one to take them in for every little thing either. 

• Like 1

I would also take her in. My cat had something similar happen recently, except that her front leg was also swollen. It turned out to be a cat bite. She is now an indoor kittie only which she is not happy about. But she is elderly and there is another cat that it is bullying her. She is safer inside.

and shows you somethings wrong then cries when you pick her up or pet her on her shoulder, when do you decide it's time for the vet?    She also feels warmer than normal.

right away. 

cats hide their pain for a long time. By the time the avg pet owner notices something, odds are it's serious. I'd do a vet check, blood tests & a quick xray.