Menu

Who has turned their heat on?

school17777

I had my windows opened today since it was so warm but it is only 57 now.  (after midnight) This whole week is supposed to be in the 70s and 80s

I haven't turn my heat on yet but I am not using AC either. We get enough breeze through the windows that it has been nice.

The house is still reading at 70, I probably won't turn on the heat until the daytime heat isn't enough to keep the house warm enough at night. :lol:

I am in South Carolina, but in the mountainy bits not the swampy or oceany bits.

Edited by Slartibartfast

I'm feeling kind of wussy. When we do run our heater in the winter because oh, maybe it dropped to the 50's, we never let the house get colder than 65 and that's at night! We keep it more like 68-70 during the day. Guess I am a Southern wimp. Probably should stay in Texas. :)

That's what I keep ours at and I live in upstate NY.  That's not wimpy.

Where I am a definite wimp is the heat.  If it gets too much above 70 I'm dying.  Especially at night.

Well,  I'm still experiencing my own private summer, so even though it is 43° here right now, I slept with my window open last night.

Dh put his foot down about having the windows open downstairs b/c it makes the house too cold, but he knows I get hot at night, so he just pulls up the down wool comforter. Two nights ago, with the window open, in the middle of the night I turned on the small fan that is on my night stand and had it blowing on me.

So, no. No heat turned on here (which would be making a fire in the wood stove for us).

ETA what kind of comforter we have, b/c I'm being OCD about it. No one could care, lol. 

Edited by Angie in VA

We,ve had the stove going a few days, and the electric heater in the bathroom has been on a few weeks, partly so the poorly vented space will dry. We tend to use electric space heaters a bit before we fire up the woodstove. We only need heat while sitting around in the evening and overheat the rest of the time, otherwise. We,re still opening the windows wide during the night and miday.

Nan

Well we have had about seven inches of snow down for a week and nighttime temps are dropping to about 14 F, so yes, we have been running heat for about a month and a half. Unfortunately our furnace actually broke so heat (for the moment) is coming from our fireplace and is inefficient to dial in.

The heater is on our list of things to fix immediately upon conclusion of this election. We are just too busy with the candidate until then :(

What does this mean? 

I turned the heat on as soon as we woke up to 65 degree temps in the house. I set it very low though (67) so it doesn't kick on often.

I have to admit to a few days of switching from air to heat and vice versa within the same day.  :leaving:

We are heat/AC sisters.  I did the same.  

It's only been in the past few days, but when it's 65 in the house - ouch.  That's too cold for me.  Our heat is set at 67 for now, too, but I'll be moving that slightly up soon.  Because I'm a wimp.

• Like 3

I turned the heat on as soon as we woke up to 65 degree temps in the house. I set it very low though (67) so it doesn't kick on often.

I have to admit to a few days of switching from air to heat and vice versa within the same day.  :leaving:

We are heat/AC sisters.  I did the same.  

It's only been in the past few days, but when it's 65 in the house - ouch.  That's too cold for me.  Our heat is set at 67 for now, too, but I'll be moving that slightly up soon.  Because I'm a wimp.

That's why I love our programmable thermostats. They keep me comfy using the heat or AC as needed. And I don't even have to think about it so I can ignore the fact that our system goes from heat to AC within a few hours' time.   DH and DS don't like to be too cold and being a female of a certain age I can't tolerate being hot. Thank goodness for modern conveniences. ;)

• Like 3

Ours has been on a couple weeks. But we're in Minnesota.  I LOVE fall weather the best.

Abssolutely agree.  The leaves seem especially pretty this year and I'm just south of you. ;)

42 degrees right now and we expect to see 60 later today.... Heat is on this AM but we'll shut it off in favor of starting a fire because the novelty of working fireplace has not worn off of me yet after owning this house for a couple years. ;)  It isn't so functional that it can heat our whole house, but it does great for the living room. :)

The nights that a frost was predicted we turned the heater on, but down to 50, just to prevent pipe damage.  I don't think it has actually kicked on at all.  I was concerned this older house wouldn't stay warm enough (I know there's not enough insulation), but apparently being half buried in the hill and having the houses to the north and west of us further up the hill makes a really nice windbreak.  Except for when I've opened the windows up to enjoy the crisp air it hasn't gotten below 62 in here.

• Like 1

We've had ours on for about a week now as needed to keep our house at 68 degrees.  Other years we kept it at 63 degrees, but this year I need warmer to offset some nerve issues.  I may have to go warmer than 68.  Time will tell.

We also have camping reservations in FL already made and paid for in Feb - something to look forward to!  I like PA winters much better when we spend Feb somewhere south.

Oh good heavens, no. I wish. I bought myself a robe and a sweatshirt because a few weeks ago it was chilly in the morning, but that passed and now it's back to HOT.  Todays high is 97*. 

We have not. If it were up to dh I think he would have turned it on earlier this week but he doesn't touch the thermostat for some reason. I generally try to make it through November. Last year we didn't turn it on until mid December possibly even not until January. It has to be pretty darn cold inside for me to turn it on. Otherwise, we just wear the appropriate clothing.

I used to try and delay turning the furnace on for as long as possible, but then I'm miserable. Dh told me he didn't work all these hours for me to be cold and miserable. I think he took it as a sign that he wasn't providing for the family so now I turn it on when the lows get down into the 40s. I think I turned it on at the beginning of Oct. It probably only comes on once in the early morning hours and I did turn it off for the week once when it got unseasonably warm (lows in the 60s).

I have it set at 69/68 during the day and 66 at night. I used to set it lower, but dh seemed to think the number of layers I was wearing seemed ridiculous (see also: above).

My dh and I have a heating war going on. He likes it 68 or above, I like it 64 or below. We compromise by setting the thermostat for 66-68 when he is at home and awake, 62 when he's gone (the kids don't seem to notice--they're still running around the house in tshirts and shorts!) and 62 at night. I prefer it colder at night, but fortunately for me the heating register in our bedroom doesn't seem to provide much heat, so it's actually cooler in there. I end up throwing off the comforter and then he gets a double layer. :)

I try to make it to November here in Central IA. If we could possibly still need the a/c that same week I refuse to turn on the heat. It is 40 something right now, and I still have a window open.

I do not delay long in the spring before turning on the a/c. Can't stand to be hot.

Kelly

Edited by SquirrellyMama
  • Like 1

What does this mean?

Um.... our heater is broken but we are stuck messing with the state requirements for financial reporting for the candidate (our relative who is in a very tight race) and maintenance of her media and website until the election passes. We work full time and then she loads us up with more work after that.

There is no time to take apart a furnace right now - so we are stuck with a broken one until the stupid election passes.

We have not. If it were up to dh I think he would have turned it on earlier this week but he doesn't touch the thermostat for some reason. I generally try to make it through November. Last year we didn't turn it on until mid December possibly even not until January. It has to be pretty darn cold inside for me to turn it on. Otherwise, we just wear the appropriate clothing.

You must have really good temperature tolerance to go that long!

Dh left a few minutes ago to go buy a filter for the furnace. He has the day off and asked if I hadn't turned the heat on because I was waiting for him to change out the filter. I said yes, so off he went! Guessing we will have the heat on sometime this afternoon. It is actually warmer in the house today than it was yesterday (according to the thermostat), but it is chilly and wet outside, so that makes it feel colder inside.

No not yet. We haven't had a frost yet. It has been pretty chilly some days but then the next is warm enough not to need it. We tend to prefer a cooler house normally too so don't turn it on that early. It'll probably go on in the next few weeks though. We have quite unpredictable winters. Last year wasn't particularly cold, just damp.

Edited by lailasmum

We have, but we have 6" of snow on the ground and it's pretty darn cold outside.  This morning it was 20 degrees.  So, yeah, the heat is on and pretty soon it will be cold enough that I will need to actually start wearing my coat when I go outside.  ;)

We had our first hard freeze a couple weeks ago, and our heat has been going at least some of the time for a month at least. Some of you are pretty hard core. I like my house about 72 in the winter and I let it get up to 85 in the summer before I'll turn on the AC. It is 72 right now I have on a long sleeve shirt, thick hoodie, jeans, and fuzzy lined slippers. I should move south. :lol:

Um.... our heater is broken but we are stuck messing with the state requirements for financial reporting for the candidate (our relative who is in a very tight race) and maintenance of her media and website until the election passes. We work full time and then she loads us up with more work after that.

There is no time to take apart a furnace right now - so we are stuck with a broken one until the stupid election passes.

Oh, that makes sense and didn't realize you were planning on fixing it yourself. You must be so stressed!

We've cooled off considerably and it's been beautiful. The humidity is way down too. It looks like we'll have some perfect nights for sleeping with the windows open.

https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l/32780:4:US

Your nightly lows now are higher than ours in the middle of the summer! Those temps are my "A/C needs to be on or it's too hot to sleep" temps! :-)

• Like 1