Menu

Who has turned their heat on?

school17777

My goal is to wait until Halloween to turn it on. We are almost there! We haven't turned it on yet, mainly because I am waiting for dh to change the filter on the furnance before we do so. If I turn it on without waiting for a new filter, it gets dusty, or at least I think it does.

I have no idea how often we have made it to Halloween, but that is always the goal! If it doesn't get any colder than it is right now, we might be able to make it. It is 60 in the house right now.

Who has already turned their heat on?

Well we have had about seven inches of snow down for a week and nighttime temps are dropping to about 14 F, so yes, we have been running heat for about a month and a half. Unfortunately our furnace actually broke so heat (for the moment) is coming from our fireplace and is inefficient to dial in.

The heater is on our list of things to fix immediately upon conclusion of this election. We are just too busy with the candidate until then :(

Ha! Not us. It's still in the upper 80's here. Still running the AC 24/7. I'm a little envious of those of y'all with cool weather. I would really love to experience seasons one year. Not only the four seasons of warm, hot, hotter, miserable. 

Ours has been on for a few weeks, I'd keep the house cooler if it was just big folks but I don't like to let my littles get cold and they don't like to wear bulky clothes.

I'd never wait for my Dh to change the furnace filter, always do that myself.

Edited by maize
  • Like 1

I'd never wait for my Dh to change the furnace filter, always do that myself.

Ha! I can change it, I just don't remember which direction it needs to face. There used to be arrows so we'd know for sure, but they have rubbed off. Sometimes, the metal thing you pull out gets stuck and I need dh to come pull it out for me anyway. Just easier for him to do it!

• Like 1

Turned it on today.  

The kids were going stir crazy inside so we all went for a long walk in the nearly freezing rain and I turned on the heat before we left so the house would be "toasty" when we got home.  The house had been maintaining a temp right around 60, and the heat is only set to 63, so the comfort in turning it on was mostly psychological.  

We drop the temp to 56 at night, so it is off again now.

Wendy

We've had it on in parts of the house for about two weeks but not always continually. DH turned on the heat in our new bathroom so he could see how the tile floor would heat (nicely). Then we turned on the heat a little in the bedrooms because it was chilly at night. He had intended to wait to start the wood burning furnace for a little while longer, but one morning, it was so cold that he had to get it started. It heats our first floor. Then it hit 80+ last week, and I was complaining that he took out the AC units. But both the upstairs electric heat and downstairs wood heat have been running a bit the last couple of days, although I've turned them down some.

It is much nicer with the heat on instead of feeling frozen-fingered.

We have had it on and off depending on the weather.  Some nights it has gotten down to freezing, though most of the time it isn't quite that cold.  I get joint aches if I get too cold, so I don't let the house get much below 70 during the day.

• Like 2

I'm feeling kind of wussy. When we do run our heater in the winter because oh, maybe it dropped to the 50's, we never let the house get colder than 65 and that's at night! We keep it more like 68-70 during the day. Guess I am a Southern wimp. Probably should stay in Texas. :)

This past weekend it was chilly here. Saturday am, for the first time I wanted to turn on the heat.  In stead I went looking for my slippers.  Couldn't find them.

Sunday afternoon I ordered new slippers.

Wednesdaymorning I gave in and turned on the heat.

Wednesday afternoon I found slippers.

Wednesday late afternoon my new slippers were delivered.

• Like 3

I think I could have held out, but I was in bed in the night and smelled the smell of it coming on, which means dh did it. But he has to be up working in the night, so that's fair.

I wonder if our southern hemisphere boardies are turning on their A/C's now...

• Like 1

Ours has been on for about a month, but we live in the PNW. I hasn't been  particularly cold outside yet, but the damp makes it feel cold.  Outside is in the 60s.  We keep our furnace at 70,  with an occasional bump to 72 to warm the air a bit and then let it settle back to 70. 

• Like 1