Menu

Going on Vacation for Christmas?

My3Munchkins

We've always been home for Christmas but we're considering going on vacation and being gone December 25th this year. While DH has family within 5-20 minutes of us, they don't like to get together on Christmas Day so it always ends up just my little family of 5. I grew up either having extended family over or going to the homes of extended family so being alone feels kind of depressing (even though I have done my best over the years to make the best of it and develop our own traditions). 

So, if you've done this, how did it work? Was it enjoyable or did you wish you were home? Is there anything you would have done differently? How did you handle Santa (if that's something you do)? Did he visit your home before or after the trip or did he bring gifts to your vacation location?

• Like 1

1. Don't go to Disneyland on xmas day. It's awful.

2. Santa knows when you're in a hotel and he leaves your stocking on the door handle.

Thanks! 

I'm thinking maybe we'll do gifts before we go and then just hang stockings on Christmas Eve wherever we are. Santa normally does one larger gift and then stockings. It would be difficult to deal with the larger gift on a trip but it might be fun to still hang stockings and have that to look forward to on Christmas morning. 

One time, we were away on Christmas. I had everything ready to put out, "from Santa." When it was time to leave, husband took the kids somewhere and I, as fast as humanly possible, put out all the Santa gifts and stuffed the stockings. We left. When we were on vacation, on Christmas morning, there was one small present for each child. And when we walked in the door at the end of the trip, the kids were so shocked! It was so fun! Of course, we did come home at the end of the day Christmas Day. I would likely not do it like this if we were not coming home for several days. Or maybe I would. It would depend. I just knew I did not want to ship everything.

• Like 3

Travel at Christmas or anytime is great!  We have done it either during, on, or just after Christmas each of the past 5 years.  Since my kid's birthday is early January, we usually celebrate her birthday on the trip as well.

We do the bigger Christmas presents before we leave, and keep some small surprises in our baggage.  I pack each kid new Christmas pajamas and a few other things.  :)  Books, video game cartridges, small jewelry or craft projects.  We find out what there is to do for Christmas at our destination - enjoy some arts or winter sports or just check out the Christmas decorations.

It's actually easier to do it if you leave before Christmas, or the morning of.  Less pressure to do all the traditional Christmas stuff while trying to get ready for a trip.

• Like 4

We love it! Mostly we don't do traditional Christmas foods when we travel, but I always take Christmas themed paper plates and cups and table cloth. I have a mini string of lights and a collapsible mini tree. I load some Christmas movies on the iPad for Christmas Eve. We may taking his stockings, or also gifts, depending on when and where we are travelling. The stocking would focus on small fun things that can be used in a hotel room.

I'm sure you could book Christmas meals out, but we just have a picnic style meal in our hotel room or apartment.

• Like 2

A few years ago we were gone for Christmas and I didn't want to deal with Santa on vacation. So, our elf, Jenga, told Santa we were going to be gone for Christmas. Santa decided to come early. Jenga even left a note at my moms house along with some Pasteries for them to bring over for breakfast. We did not say anything to the kids so it was a total surprise.

Best part is I didn't have to fight with excited kids to go to bed. They were all in bed at normal time which meant I didn't have to stay up all night getting everything ready!

Edited by Plateau Mama
  • Like 2

We went to FL last year to visit an elderly aunt who usually travels to our area for the holidays.  It was great!  I felt all the pressure was off of me to create the perfect Christmas.  We were in a condo in the same complex as our family member so we grilled hamburgers for Christmas dinner and then went to the beach.  Best Christmas ever!  We didn't buy our normal Christmas gifts.  We'd gotten a deal on Kindle Fires (buy 5 get one free) so we bought one for each kid and then filled their stockings and that was it.  Usually I have to bake, cook, wrap, and shop for our Christmas at home and I really didn't have to do much of anything last year.  The only down side was that our eldest and his wife were unable to go so we missed them but celebrated at New Years with them.

I'm already dreading this year and trying to figure out how to simplify but there will be no way for me to avoid the cooking for two (or three) weeks for extra people along with the Christmas treats that everyone expects.

• Like 1

We travel almost every year. I have a hard time with situational depression around Christmas and New Years (too many bad things happened at that time of year, several on the exact dates), so it's easier to go somewhere where they do the decorations and magic for us. Gifts are ordered early, wrapped, and delivered to the venue, or opened at home.

I do go bigger for Halloween and the Lunar New Year (which DD added at age 5 when she spent a year studying dragon legends and we attended some of the events held locally).

• Like 1

I loved going away for Christmas for year. When I was single, I almost always travelled to visit family or friends. Then we did it as a couple before children. Not since then though. The last time was when I was preggo with my college kid.

I have an aunt I'd love to go see, or maybe to our favorite island in the Bahamas.

Mine are older teens, so gifts and Santa wouldn't be as complicated.

Not going to happen any time soon, but I can dream!

Edited by G5052