Menu

Warmest long underwear?

saw

DD is discovering that her chosen college is in a place that gets very very cold. I have offered to send long underwear but, as I am sensible and live somewhere with moderate temperatures, have little knowledge of what would be the warmest. Any suggestions would be welcome! Thanks from me on DD's behalf. 

Silk long underwear would probably be most comfortable seeing that college students spend time outdoors on their way to class and then time in heated classrooms. It is also thin and more comfortable under clothes. L.L. Bean, Cabelas, and Lands' End carry silk long underwear. The pointelle style does not snag or run.

Edited by Kalmia
  • Like 1

Silk for indoor/outdoors.  Smartwool (Merino wool with a fuzzy lining similar to their socks) works well too, especially if she has an outdoor activity.  CuddlDuds makes a generic that's sold at Walmart that is probably the cheapest.

A simple pair of leggings under her jeans, or flannel lined jeans might be more comfortable than other options.

• Like 2

Cuddle duds makes good long underwear and they're easy to find in places like TJ Maxx or Kohl's. (also Amazon).

I love Cuddle Duds! Sam's has them too usually in the fall/winter.

A simple pair of leggings under her jeans, or flannel lined jeans might be more comfortable than other options.

How does this work? We're going to Europe in December and have to plan for the coldest weather we've ever experienced. I bought leggings but if I put jeans over I can't move they're so tight. Do you just have to buy looser jeans? This was with my 'loose' jeans - Not even worth trying with my cute stretch lift-and-shape jeans (which might just be way too thin for cold weather countries?).

I educated myself about dressing for cold because my daughters went to uni in upstate NY. depending upon where she is - expect to also have to deal with wind chill.

keeping warm is about proper layering.  1dd detested her down coat  - it was too bulky and too short.  you have to be able to move.  she ended up with a very long wool raglan sleeve coat with a hood and a fox-fur ruff (real thing - not faux.  real will keep your face warm. faux is just worthless decoration).  it cut the wind and she was warm. she still has the coat.

long underwear comes in three weights.

your best fibers will be *breathable* and wicking.  they also should be snug.

you want the long underwear to breathe so perspiration will evaporate.  long underwear that doesn't wick the perspiration away from your skin can lead to hypothermia.

you want it to be snug against the skin - so it can wick moisture away.

you will probably want a medium weight at most, because she's not going to the arctic.

in no particular order. (these are also the better fibers for clothes to be warm)

Yes:

1. wool (quality wool long underwear is very soft and not scratchy.)
  2. silk  (try wintersilks.com.)
  3. high quality breathable polar fleece type synthetics  (rei, eddie bauer, lands end, etc.) 

NO!!!

1. polypropelene/similar  (doesn't breath - will hold moisture next to your skin)
  2. cotton  (it absorbs 4xs its weight in water, and takes forever to dry.  winter trails heads in the NE have signs saying "cotton kills".)
  3. acrylic

cuddle duds had ONE style that I was willing to buy, it wasn't polypropelene and it wicked.  I don't remember the name of the style  - the other styles, not mom approved.

I did buy them because they were the best I could afford at the time.  (her rei bottoms I bought on clearance were much higher quality and warmer.) they worked for 2dd, she could wear them inside and outside and not overheat because they were breathable.  she was always cold here - she wasn't in NY.  she'd be outside playing in the snow, and her friends wanted to go in because they were cold.

feet, hands, and head/ears are also essential to be kept warm.  a lot of body heat is lost through the ears, hands and feet.

do not forget wool socks

fleece is great for an ear warmer

good gloves. (mittens are warmer.)

a wool scarf - generous enough to wrap around her face in rough conditions.

I admit I tried a lot of stuff on in the store if I could before sending it to them.  if I was comfortable after 10 minutes - I put it back.  it wasn't warm enough.  MOST winter gear fell into that category.  If I had to take it off after five minutes because my hands were getting uncomfortably warm - I bought them.

• Like 2

I personally prefer thermal tights over thermal leggings. Leggings always seem to stretch out over time which only makes them harder to layer but I haven't had that happen with tights. There are lots of different materials available now too. I used to always have ones that had a fleece lining but there seems to be a lot more options available now. They were cosy and don't majorly impede wearing normal top layers but you could also add more warm layers of needed.

How does this work? We're going to Europe in December and have to plan for the coldest weather we've ever experienced. I bought leggings but if I put jeans over I can't move they're so tight. Do you just have to buy looser jeans? This was with my 'loose' jeans - Not even worth trying with my cute stretch lift-and-shape jeans (which might just be way too thin for cold weather countries?).

Yes, it's much easier with loose, non-stretch, straight-leg jeans.  I did this on the very coldest days when I went to college in New England.  One year the campus was under renovation, so I had two classes at the "old" campus, which involved 30 minutes to an hour outside depending on whether I took the bus or just walked it.

If this really doesn't work for you, wearing a long coat (that comes to knees or longer), and tall boots (knee-high) and fleece lined leggings or jeggings with a tunic sweater would keep everything but your knees covered with multiple warm layers much more stylishly. There's a point where it's so cold that warm is better than cute.  Frostbite is not so attractive.

Every time I think about this subject I flash back to this study done about vikings.  They wore layers of wool covered in oiled leather to stay warm in the cold wet rain that they frequently dealt (and boated) with.  A coupe of years ago they attached temperature sensors to people and exposed them to the same conditions, wearing both traditional garb and newer synthetic breathable clothing.  The synthetics failed MUCH sooner than the wool and leather, which seemed to keep people warm even after being doused.  So if in question you can't fail with silk, multiple layers of wool for warmth, and something leather to cut the wind.  Obviously these options are heavy, not cheap, but they do last forever as long as you can keep moths away, and sometimes you can find them in a thrift shop.

• Like 3

Yes, it's much easier with loose, non-stretch, straight-leg jeans.  I did this on the very coldest days when I went to college in New England.  One year the campus was under renovation, so I had two classes at the "old" campus, which involved 30 minutes to an hour outside depending on whether I took the bus or just walked it.

If this really doesn't work for you, wearing a long coat (that comes to knees or longer), and tall boots (knee-high) and fleece lined leggings or jeggings with a tunic sweater would keep everything but your knees covered with multiple warm layers much more stylishly. There's a point where it's so cold that warm is better than cute.  Frostbite is not so attractive.

Every time I think about this subject I flash back to this study done about vikings.  They wore layers of wool covered in oiled leather to stay warm in the cold wet rain that they frequently dealt (and boated) with.  A coupe of years ago they attached temperature sensors to people and exposed them to the same conditions, wearing both traditional garb and newer synthetic breathable clothing.  The synthetics failed MUCH sooner than the wool and leather, which seemed to keep people warm even after being doused.  So if in question you can't fail with silk, multiple layers of wool for warmth, and something leather to cut the wind.  Obviously these options are heavy, not cheap, but they do last forever as long as you can keep moths away, and sometimes you can find them in a thrift shop.

that's why fishermen's sweaters are made from raw wool. the lanolin helps keep it from absorbing water, and wool is still warm when wet.

another difference with boots is the modern ones try to completely insulate and immobilize your foot. that also creates a heavy boot that requires more energy just to walk.  the natives used soft -but well insulated boots so the foot moved. the boot is lightweight so not as tiring to walk in them - and that increased circulation to keep the foot warm.

I have cheap costco sheepskin boots.  real sheepskin with  real fleece lining (but costco price.  $30.)  even when the outside is wet - they're warm and my feet were dry.  I've had lots of boots over the years I wore after skiing.  the skeepskin were warmer.  I had lambskin ski gloves with sheep fleece lining - the *warmest* gloves I've ever had.

years ago, I came across steger mukluks.  she has good information on how to stay warm with maximum movement.  she got her start while she was covering the iditarod and freezing her buns off.  some eskimo women taught her how to dress warm, including boots/mukluks. (with a separate heavy wool felt lining)  when she went back to ely MN where she's from, people wanted some mukluks.  now steger outfits polar expeditions.

eta: though gore-tex is worth the money to keep you dry in the rain.  (modern marvels did a show on waterpoof.)

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 2

Thank you all! I have taken notes and ordered a selection of underthings to be sent to DD with instructions to do a comparison test (omg silk is pricy! found one pair on sale but the rest will have to wait). DD was very appreciative. Good timing too as it snowed yesterday.