Menu

Do you know of anyone who is very secretive about who they vote for? Edited in first post...

SparklyUnicorn

My parents refused to tell us when we were kids, but are quite willing to say so now we're adults. That seems a bit weird.

I was born opinionated but my younger brother was easily swayed. My parents were lots more careful in what they say to my brother because he would just take it as kind of black and white facts instead of opinions.

My relatives were kind of similar, keeping their opinions to themselves so as to let the younger relatives mull over their own opinions instead of knowing who pick which side of a policy vote. Also not all my young relatives know not to blab. My DS10 would have blab if we mentioned anything about the candidates (local and presidential elections).

• Like 1

I tell people, I do not remotely care.

If random person on the street asked me I would tell them and ask, "why, do you want to fight me? 

But, it is up to people whether or not they want to share that. Political beliefs can be a very personal thing and not everyone has "overshare" problems like me.  :blushing:

Edited by Slartibartfast
  • Like 4

Eh, I am more secretive this election than I ever have been.

Kind of a rabbit trail, but dh and I were talking about how there is a real scarcity of campaign signs in yards around town. Like no one wants to advertise support for any candidate. Very different from typical election years.

• Like 2

Since you are talking about parent to children specifically (as clarified in your first post), yes I share who I am voting for but when the kids were in elementary school I was careful not to spout a bunch of rhetoric and make people I wasn't voting for into some sort of evil demon.  Vilifying others and making my own choice seem like they are wearing a white hat is unhealthy and unrealistic, IMHO.  

Also, I found that parents that were doing that caused unnecessary fights at school.  Kids would think there was absolutely only one "good guy" and the other guy was the "bad guy".  In their black and white world any child stating they supported the other guy were then "bad".  Kids talk.  When parents talk, kids listen and they repeat what they have heard.  My kids were in brick and mortar school for elementary and I tried to teach my kids to respect the views of others, even if other children were stating strong political feelings that were different from mine.  Healthy discussion of differing views is great.  Slamming each other and insulting each other is not, IMHO.  

• Like 1

I've always been very private about politics.  I'm not interested in discussing it with anyone except my husband.  People who are otherwise nice, and good friends, can become terribly insulting toward the general group of everyone who doesn't agree with them.  I'm often in that group.  I'm not interested in being insulted, and I don't want political opinions to damage relationships.  So while others rant, I keep quiet.  

• Like 2

My mom didn't like to talk about it when we were young but I think it's because she was a bit more center, maybe even leftish back then and my dad was/is not.  It would have caused arguments with his whole fundamental religious "husband is the head of the household" thing..... she was never going to do as she was told.  I still don't think she feels comfortable saying exactly who she will vote for but she's much more conservative and her husband is not as demanding as my dad was (he grew out of it but they were divorced by then).

I do remember my mom saying her parents never talked politics around them, it just "wasn't done" back then.

We discuss everything with our kids, I think DS is better informed then I am on 3rd party candidates.  But we also are specifically raising our kids in a completely open and honest way (I told them it was a child rearing experiment and they were subjects 1 and 2).

• Like 1

My dad growing up would never tell us who he voted for.  He considered this highly personal.  To this day I find this attitude baffling.  I get not telling coworkers or certain people for some sort of reason, but your own kids?  Why? 

Oddly he is no longer so secretive about it and will tell me (even though I don't ask). 

I just wonder if this is common. 

------

I'm more talking about telling one's own kids (when they are kids).  I don't tell people in general, but I would if they asked.  I'm talking if your kid asked you. 

I think one reason people may be hesitant to tell their kids is because kids don't always have a filter.  They talk to relatives and friends and friends' families.  "My mom voted for......."

• Like 1

I think I've always known who my parents voted for.  I haven't told anyone but my dh and my mother who I voted for this year.  I have been vocal about a person or two I won't be voting for :p -- I don't discuss who I'm voting for in mixed company.  I may tell people about votes I've cast in the past.

Politics in my friend circles and family can get very contentious.  I tend to keep it more private -- mainly because I don't need the over-the-top reactions.  My uncle is a very passionate, and admittedly biased individual.  While he likes to think of himself as a caring individual -- he can be extremely caustic. I love him -- but don't need him to constantly question me or my faith (and he will).  There are so many things (both issue-wise and dealing with Christian response to various humanitarian things), that we agree upon, and work well together upon -- keeping politics "off my table" allows me to work with him in other areas and not get mired in political controversy.

When I hear my kids parroting something they see or hear, I usually play devil's advocate at least a little bit.  Older three kids are writing weekly position papers on various topics, so this year is going to be a lot more interesting discussion-wise.  

(But how else do you indocrinate the kids ?!)

Well, I think you do even if you don't say a word because despite my dad's secretiveness I still pretty much knew after awhile who he'd be likely to vote for.

I'm not even sure if it is always indoctrination exactly.  If we can inherit physical characteristics who is to say in some way we don't also inherit political leaning.  I don't mean we've got political party genes, but it's not unheard of for family members to be similar in this way.  Sometimes it is crazy to me when my dad tells me his views on something and I think whoa I think exactly the same way, but I'm sure we never really discussed it before.

Interestingly, at the moment my older kid has become very interested in politics and we definitely do not see eye to eye on everything.  I tell him my views because he asks, but I tell him he is free to disagree.  I think part of it with him is he has far less life experiences to draw on and that is the bigger reason we don't see it the same.  This is not to say that eventually he'll see it exactly as I do, but I think he won't see it exactly the same as he does now when he gets older.

• Like 2

I generally don't tell anyone who I voted for. None of your business.

And I wouldn't when my kids were younger either. Because one of them would have broadcasted that info to everyone they met. Anywhere, anytime. Checker in Walmart? - pretty sure they needed to know.  Random people standing in line at the PO? Definitely they needed to know too. Waitress in restaurant? - Sure, she should know too - and everyone else in that restaurant too because that child had a carrying voice. So, just no. I never told her how old I was either. Because she wouldn't have remembered the right number, but that wouldn't have stopped her from telling everyone how old I was - and she would have made up another number for each new person. She loved to share. Luckily, she has gotten more reserved as she got older. 

Once they were older, I don't mind telling them, but I'm pretty sure they already knew. 

• Like 1

We've taken our son to political speeches and rallies since he was under a year old. There are no secrets here in how we vote and what we believe in, nor would I want there to be.

I'm surprised to find out that so many kids aren't interested, it's such a big part of our lives and general discussion.

• Like 5

My mom was very secretive and made a point that she "couldn't tell". IMO, I think that backfired because for years I could care less about voting. She had never modeled or talked about the process, so I was clueless and really didn't want anything to do with it. I didn't understand it. Now that I am an adult, we are not super political, I would prefer not to have a political conversation with anyone, but I am also not secretive. My kids are still young and could care less, but I've taken them to the polling place to drop off my ballot, explained what I'm doing. Explained some of the basic issues we've voted for. As they get older, I will definitely help them. I do believe that my husband and I vote off our beliefs and morals, so I will "guide" in a basic sense of the word without pushing them.

Wow.  I am so surprised about the amount of people who keep it to themselves. 

We are a family that enjoys discussions such as these.  We encourage critical thinking and love to play the devil's advocate.  We watch our political shows on tv with our kids (and change channels just to see how the other side is portraying similar headlines).  I worked at the polls for years as a committee person and minority inspector.  I founded a grassroots organization and my kids loved to participate in our events and peace marches etc.  My kids know that we will always stand up for others because of the way we vote and the way we advocate for others.  They also know they can choose to believe otherwise.

Our 16 year old wanted to attend church a couple of years ago.  For over a year, we drove her without question.  It was her path.  When she wanted to discuss religion with us, we did so honestly and calmly.  She is so very grateful for the way we handled it and allowed her to come to her own conclusions.  

I certainly wouldn't judge someone who chooses to keep things private.  It just surprises me.

Not only do I tell my kids (and have always let them in the voting booth with me), but I would tell any stranger who was interested in knowing.  I just don't think it HAS to be private.

Edited by lisabees
  • Like 3

Question for those who keep it to themselves...

Why don't you want others to know?  Do you think they will judge you a certain way?  Do you think they would start a debate that you'd rather not have?  Are you private about a lot of things?

I just don't mind sharing things with others. :)

This is an interesting topic, that has me mulling over things I've never given much thought to.

I fully concur with the several pp who have raised the importance of secret ballots to the integrity of the process.  And I don't go around broadcasting who I plan to vote for.  I don't even answer polls since I presume most of them are really marketing initiatives in disguise, lol.  Totally respect the "none of your dang business" response, particularly in the case of strangers and casual acquaintances.

For me the calculus is different when it comes to communicating with my children.  Part of the parenting job is, to my mind, communicating values... which in my case includes the idea that along with rights there are incumbent responsibilities of citizenship, one of which is being informed about the state of our nation and another of which is availing of the electoral rights for which others have struggled.  I would not want my children to be politically apathetic: therefore, we talk politics, a lot.  (They do not by any means always agree with my husband and me... which is OK.  Well, most of the time it's OK, lol...)

The sharing-calculus is also different, in another way, among people in my community or among extended social circles who know me fairly well... and who therefore know the kinds of volunteer work I do, the organizations I'm actively involved with fundraising, etc.  I guess the more socially and politically active one is, the more obvious one's general political leanings are... and there may also be a bit more of an opening for others to initiate conversations along political lines?  

Anyway, thanks for the thread, SU.

• Like 3

Why don't you want others to know?  Do you think they will judge you a certain way?  Do you think they would start a debate that you'd rather not have?  Are you private about a lot of things?

For the same reason I don't tell people when I've just gone to the bathroom, paid my bills, or vacuumed my bedroom.  It's none of their business.  Voting should be private.  If it wasn't voting booths would be tables out in the open, with everyone filling in their choices next to each other.  They're not.  A booth is private.  What I do in there is nobody's business but my own.  We live in a time when everyone feels the need to gain validation by throwing up every single thought they have on social media. Good for them.  I don't care if anyone validates my choice, therefore I don't care to break custom and share it.

• Like 1

Why would my kids care about who I vote for?  If they asked, I would answer, but it never ever came up until my kids were young adults and even then they haven't really asked about who I support but have just voluntarily told me who they support.    We did talk about voting in general and the candidates and democracy and civics and . . .  

Well, we discuss current events. And they hear stuff on the radio when I'm driving (NPR). If we are discussing the election, and the candidates, and I have a strong belief as to which I support and why, it would seem odd NOT to say that, during the discussion. It would be like having a discussion about religion with my kids but not telling them which religion I am. 

So yes, even my 4 year old knows who I voted for (early voting, went yesterday) and why. (well, some of why, on his level). The 6 yr old and I got into a bit more nuance, but not a lot more. The teen and I have had very in-depth discussions about the various candidates and our reasons for who we are interested in, etc. 

• Like 4

I am somewhat secretive.  Who you vote for is very private and nobodies business.  I certainly discuss politics with my kids and how to come to an informed decision.

I'm curious. Would you/do you discuss your views on immigration, taxes, criminal justice, social services, etc etc? I just can't imagine NOT talking about these things, at least as kids get older. And if you do, do you do it without discussing your own viewpoint at all?

• Like 2

The way you vote reflects your critical thinking skills.  I expect my children to think through any major decision they make, especially as adults.

Dh and I don't tell anyone who we vote for.  Not even each other.  We're firm believers in voting being a private choice (hello, no cameras allowed in voting booths!) and don't see it necessary to broadcast after.

ETA: dh and I do discuss our morals and values with the kids.  We also discuss the roles of various parts of the government and generalities.  We watch shows like Last Week Tonight and The Newsroom.  (I seriously want them to do debates like the Newsroom tried!)  But as far as candidate choice, no.

So wait, do you and your husband know each other's political affiliation? Or your general stance on political issues? 

• Like 1

I am.  Only my bff knows who I voted for or what positions I took on the initiatives.

Wait so you don't even discuss the ballot initiatives with your husband and family????

I'm so blown away by this, lol. Absolutely I've discussed them with my family, and helped explain to my son why a certain one was very tricky, how to find more information, why i voted against it, etc. 

• Like 3

During the primaries, I had someone ask me who I voted for. I told her but I also silently thought it was really none of her business. 

I've been thinking about it since then, too. It is an anonymous vote for a reason. I may or may not discuss it with my kids. But then again I may just 

talk about what each candidate could and may bring to the table without going into the specifics of who I specifically gave my vote.

I'm so secretive even I don't know who I'm voting for. Ă°Å¸Ëœâ€° sigh.

But in general, I don't go out of my way to share it in public but I will answer if asked. We definitely talk politics and current events with the kids. This year has at least been extremely good for showing the kids what sorts of thought processes we are going through and which issues we are weighing. And its been fun to ask my older boys what they think, which issues they think are most important, how they might vote if they could, etc.

• Like 2

For some reason, one of my kids (the 9yo) is fascinated about politics, and has been for some time.  It kind of bugs me, because she wants to talk about it but doesn't have the maturity to understand what is being debated.  She is also an instigator, bringing up politics in group situations when she knows I don't want to discuss it.  Bad child!  I see a future for her on Saturday Night Live.

Kid does research on her computer when normal kids are playing games and watching cartoons.  The other day at school she got a prize for knowing who the Green Party candidate was.  I don't know this ....

Oh SKL, I know exactly where this child could be going. Trust me. Mine didn't bring up politics in group situations unless he was sure of his audience, but hey, he really loves Washington DC! :D

• Like 1

Because peoIple who are otherwise nice can get really nasty and insulting.   They will refer to "anyone who doesn't agree with my views" as idiots, or much much worse.  There is no room in their minds to consider why someone might have different views.  They don't look at things from different perspectives.  Discussion is not possible because they have already made up their minds that anyone who thinks correctly will agree with them, and anyone who doesn't is immoral, stupid or worse.  I am not part of the party in the echo chamber, and I'm not interested in being a target for insults. 

• Like 1

Why don't you want others to know? Do you think they will judge you a certain way? Do you think they would start a debate that you'd rather not have? Are you private about a lot of things?

I am a MYOB kind of person and a good friend is actually obnoxious every presidential election season. Luckily she stays on the other coast and I can ignore her political posts on Facebook and just read those about her kids. There are lots of name calling on Facebook every election season.

In my neighborhood, there were catfights (males and females) during a past local election to the point of vandalizing and stealing yard signs. So yard signs for any election is rare now.

If I have the mood and time to engage in a debate, homeschooling or private schools would already be a hot button topic enough without risk of fist fights. Someone running for school board has a restraining order on him for harassing a school principal and some teachers.

Wait so you don't even discuss the ballot initiatives with your husband and family????

I'm so blown away by this, lol. Absolutely I've discussed them with my family, and helped explain to my son why a certain one was very tricky, how to find more information, why i voted against it, etc. 

We discuss the tar out of things.  Pros, cons, explanations, and so on. But my vote is private.  It's just the way I'm made.

So would you say they could probably guess how you vote, based on those discussions?

Nope.  I'm full of surprises!  :0)

Actually, they could on a number of principles I hold to, but I think they might be surprised if they saw my actual ballot.  

My dh trusts my judgment so much that in most elections, he actually gives me his ballot.  But I don't give him mine to copy.  LOL.  And he hasn't done so this election.  He can probably tell that we aren't on the same page, but he doesn't know what page I am on.  

I hear that men love the mystery of women.  After 35 years of marriage, there's not much left except my voting record.  LOL.  

So would you say they could probably guess how you vote, based on those discussions?

I'm going to add one thing to the above post, but don't want to edit.

It's so unlikely that anything I vote for will come to pass that it is mostly an exercise in fantasy, anyway.  

I'm like Patty.  No. 

I'm not a one (or two) issue voter.  And there usually isn't someone out there who I agree with necessarily on every single issue.  Voting is a lot more complex for me as I weigh a lot of different issues.  I do not belong to a political party and I do not vote on party lines. 

• Like 2

Hahaha.

We talk politics all the time in this house.

But when asked who we voted for, our response is always "none of your damn business."

I don't think one can guess based on those discussions necessarily.

There are lots of people for example who purposely list themselves as democrats and vote republican.

And especially right now, there are a lot of people who feel disenfranchised from either main party/candidate and are really struggling with figuring out how to vote in a way that reflects their actual political views. If individuals are struggling that much, I think it's unlikely for others to know any better how they will vote.

• Like 1

My parnets didn't tell because they wanted to impress on us the importance of secret ballots. I wonder if it has to do with their coming of age in the South during the Civil Rights movement and seeing clear voter harassment. With our kids we will tell them if they ask but impress on them that it is secret so not to share outside the family. Come to think of it, it's probably a good example of a "good secret" to serve as a discussion point. My oldest is four, though, so right now we are talking about how important it is for leaders to be good, even more important than for normal people, and that grownups in our country have a big job to choose the leaders we think are best.

My dad growing up would never tell us who he voted for.  He considered this highly personal.  To this day I find this attitude baffling.  I get not telling coworkers or certain people for some sort of reason, but your own kids?  Why? 

Oddly he is no longer so secretive about it and will tell me (even though I don't ask). 

I just wonder if this is common. 

------

I'm more talking about telling one's own kids (when they are kids).  I don't tell people in general, but I would if they asked.  I'm talking if your kid asked you.

Maybe it's a generational thing?? My parents were like that, too.

I don't tell anyone who I vote for. I agree that asking is as rude as asking how much someone weighs or how much money they earn.

Yes, I tend to be private in other areas as well. I don't like family members to get something out of my purse. If they ask to borrow my keys, they know to bring me my purse, and I'll get the keys for them.

I don't like people to use my computer, even though I don't have anything to hide. I don't use my kids' phones or computers either. I always knock on their doors before entering.

I think it is an overreaction to growing up in a family where children had no respect or privacy. I'd rather err on the side of respect.

We do talk about current events, but not in a partisan way. I'm not one of those people whose political views are not black and white, so I can say why I really admire a specific action done by a canidate that I don't like in other areas.

We talk about the dangers of believing "My guy is a hero that is going to change the world, and your guy is the devil incarnate."

I trust my 3 adult children to vote with high standards and integrity, but that doesn't mean that they have to vote the same way I do.

I don't want to indoctrinate them because they are actually separate people with different priorities and it is possible for moral people to vote differently based on their own conscious because contrary to popular belief, neither canidate is a hero or the devil.

• Like 2

I guess it depends how closely your beliefs line up with a particular party, as to how easy it is to guess? I mean, if my kids know I believe a social safety net is vitally important, that I think we should have a higher minimum wage, that I think we should take in more syrian refugees, etc..well, they probably know who I'm voting more. I mean, it could be a third party I guess? But they'd certainly have a good guess, even if I didn't put a bumper sticker on my car :)

And not discussing my feelings on the above issues would feel very strange to me. 

• Like 2

I guess it depends how closely your beliefs line up with a particular party, as to how easy it is to guess? I mean, if my kids know I believe a social safety net is vitally important, that I think we should have a higher minimum wage, that I think we should take in more syrian refugees, etc..well, they probably know who I'm voting more. I mean, it could be a third party I guess? But they'd certainly have a good guess, even if I didn't put a bumper sticker on my car :)

And not discussing my feelings on the above issues would feel very strange to me.

Right. There is no way to know me or talk with me and not know how I vote. Not because I'm loud about it, but because there is only one party that meshes with my *entire* belief system. It's pretty black and white, in my book.

I am private about a lot of things, but I also think voting falls into its own category. 

There is a secret ballot for a reason - many people don't have the luxury of not caring what others think, they have to worry about repercussions from their job or community. 

I don't have those worries, but I generally keep my vote private on principle. If we create the expectation that no one should hesitate to share their vote, then we have eroded the power of the secret ballot. It will often be assumed that anyone not sharing is voting for the unpopular candidate (in their location or situation). 

To me, it's like the police requesting to search my car for no reason. I have nothing to hide, but I'm still not giving permission. I believe rights have to be exercised in order to remain strong. 

• Like 3

Our kids know.  But they have been told over and over not to discuss politics outside of our home, and never when we have guests in our home.  They have also been taught how to smile, nod and change the subject when someone else tries to engage them in a discussion of politics.  It's the same thing we taught them about discussing religion.  Just don't, and politely sidestep when others begin those discussions. 

Edited by laundrycrisis
  • Like 1

I'm not hugely political.  I follow the news.  I have opinions. But I don't feel the need to talk about it.  I do talk about it some with my teens when they bring it up but I don't bring it up as "teaching moments".  I don't feel the need to since they know how to listen to news and to make up their own mind. 

Dh is much more political.  He would love to talk politics.  But in my opinion, he tends to lecture on politics instead of actually discussing it.  So no one in our family will talk politics with him.  ;) 

So in our home I'm not secretive, but I'm not pursuing it either. 

When I worked out of the home I had collegues pester me for my political views.  I would not discuss them.  I didn't necessarily have different views than they did, though sometimes I might.  But they used politics to pigeonhole people and I did not like that.  And again. . . they were not interested in true political discourse. 

• Like 2

Our kids know.  But they have been told over and over not to discuss politics outside of our home, and never when we have guests in our home.  They have also been taught how to smile, nod and change the subject when someone else tries to engage them in a discussion of politics.  It's the same thing we taught them about discussing religion.  Just don't, and politely sidestep when others begin those discussions. 

I'm going to add to my own here by saying that we do this out of respect for others and respect for ourselves.  We would not want to make anyone uncomfortable by feeling confronted with a political disagreement.  We also don't want to sit politely and listen to friends use terms that insult people who disagree with their politics.  We have friends and acquaintances with diverse views.  We respect them all, and ourselves.  We do not want judgement and awkwardness around politics.  

I am disturbed by how harshly people will judge others for their political ideas, and how unwilling people are to consider different viewpoints.   I see a lack of empathy and compassion for others' experiences.  I see closed minds that are not willing to consider valid points coming from the "other" side, and people who are so ready to see evil and stupidity on the other side that they won't think critically about things, but just take the easy way and believe the spin from the side they like, and smile and call the other side mean names.  

Personally, I have never felt well represented by either major party.  I refuse to get caught up in the us vs them casting and name calling.  The hard division, lack of respect, and lack of critical thought makes me sad.  Politics can be an ugly conversation to wade into.  We just don't. 

• Like 4

My dad and mom kept their politics to themselves, and I am the same. If I had to guess I would say my mom is Democrat and my dad was Republican. I really have no clue and don't care though. They are thoughtful people and I trust they do/did their best. My parents screwed up a lot of things, but I respect them deeply for their MYOB attitude and trust that I could do my research and do my best too. If my child asked, I guess I probably answer? I don't know if that will ever happen though. I am not party affiliated in any way either registered or in my voting habits.

Edited by ifIonlyhadabrain