Menu

Trying to vote early

Moxie

Yay!!!

Long election lines make me happy. I love voting day and waiting with other people just feels so celebratory to me. :)

I voted early this year and while it was pleasantly busy, there wasn't a line. I was kinda bummed. Not that I expected one in the middle of a weekday in our small town, but still. I love the community feel. :)

• Like 4

Wow. I just took my mother to vote. They had a separate line and voting area for disabled and those over 75. Since Mom uses a walker, they immediately steered her into that line and she was in and out in about 10 minutes. Wonderful!

How fabulous that they were so accomodating! ðŸ‘

• Like 1

Yay!!!

Long election lines make me happy. I love voting day and waiting with other people just feels so celebratory to me. :)

Funny, for me long lines = vote suppression.  Lots of people can't afford to take time off from work to stand in long lines and wait.  So when I hear of long lines my reaction is Boo!!!

• Like 12

I went to vote early separate from DH.  I had to wait patiently for the white-haired lady to figure out how to type my (easy! it's like Catherine Smith!) legal name and find me in a database, confirm 4 identity details, and then a district list and then a voting list, and then to sign. It was glacial.  When DH went someone offered to do the paper process OR he could just swipe his driver's license.  Everyone in DH's line swiped.  He had no waiting. I was jealous.

Anyway, now that I know I can vote early at a city building that's much closer than my normal polling place, and I can just swipe my ID, I don't think I'll ever wait until election day again.  So easy!

Funny, for me long lines = vote suppression. Lots of people can't afford to take time off from work to stand in long lines and wait. So when I hear of long lines my reaction is Boo!!!

Hmm, that's a different perspective! And I'm sure you are right--in some areas it most certainly does indicate suppression. :(

Everywhere I've lived and voted, it means people are getting out and voting--certainly a good thing. In those places, lines=democracy in action. But yeah, you are right that it's not like everywhere. And now I have to feel both happy and sad when I hear about lines; I guess the reason isn't always a positive. Darn. :(

• Like 3

I went to vote early separate from DH. I had to wait patiently for the white-haired lady to figure out how to type my (easy! it's like Catherine Smith!) legal name and find me in a database, confirm 4 identity details, and then a district list and then a voting list, and then to sign. It was glacial. When DH went someone offered to do the paper process OR he could just swipe his driver's license. Everyone in DH's line swiped. He had no waiting. I was jealous.

Anyway, now that I know I can vote early at a city building that's much closer than my normal polling place, and I can just swipe my ID, I don't think I'll ever wait until election day again. So easy!

Wow! The person who gave me my voter form didn't even look at my license when I tried to give it to her. No ID necessary at all. :)

• Like 1

DS20 and I went late morning this past Friday and waited about an hour and fifteen minutes. DH left work early Monday and got to the voting place about 4:00. He had to wait about an hour and twenty minutes. DS17 and DH each drive by the early voting location closest to us twice a day and they say it seems to be busy each time they go by. So yay for that!

Funny, for me long lines = vote suppression.  Lots of people can't afford to take time off from work to stand in long lines and wait.  So when I hear of long lines my reaction is Boo!!!

I would agree with that if voting was only available on election day itself and the lines were super long.  That would tell me they need more polling locations.  But when it's long lines during early voting - so people literally have 12 hours a day on many different days including weekends in some places to choose from to vote - I don't agree.  That's an incredible voter turnout.

Today is the third day of early voting here.  I went to the playground at the library (a polling location) with my friend today.  We met at 12:45 and were there until 2:15.  The library parking lot was completely packed so I parked in a strip mall just down the road.  The entire time we were there it was a steady stream of cars.  People said the wait time to vote was 45 minutes to an hour.

• Like 4

Yes, and voter turnout is great. :)  However, some people still can't afford to wait in long lines on any day. Lots of low-income workers work every day and don't have the luxury to miss a few hours.  I wish every state had an option for people who cannot wait in line.

• Like 4

Yes, and voter turnout is great. :) However, some people still can't afford to wait in long lines on any day. Lots of low-income workers work every day and don't have the luxury to miss a few hours. I wish every state had an option for people who cannot wait in line.

I agree! The more opportunities and easier we can make it, the better.

• Like 1

Wow. I just took my mother to vote. They had a separate line and voting area for disabled and those over 75. Since Mom uses a walker, they immediately steered her into that line and she was in and out in about 10 minutes. Wonderful!

That's wonderful, very thoughtful of your precinct.

• Like 1

When I lived in Palm Beach County the early voting lines were always longer than election day. 

Here in my area of Central Florida the opposite is true. No real wait today, although I just dropped off an absentee ballot so I had zero line :)

The first time I voted there was no line at all. Second, I only had to wait a minute or two, and then when I went back again today no line. I hope it's the same when I vote tomorrow.

I'm confused. Is this a joke or do you mean you are bringing others to the polls each day ?

Our state and others allow paid time off to vote.  All states don;t do this though. It looks like only about two-thirds of the states mandate time off to vote -- some paid, some not.  Hopefully the early voting periods have alleviated some of the folks waiting who need to get to work.  While the lines may be long some days and times, they aren't always long.   I haven't looked up any laws on voting by mail but maybe that's an option for those who have to be at work and are in the states who don't have voter leave laws.  

• Like 1

Our state and others allow paid time off to vote.  All states don;t do this though. It looks like only about two-thirds of the states mandate time off to vote -- some paid, some not.  Hopefully the early voting periods have alleviated some of the folks waiting who need to get to work.  While the lines may be long some days and times, they aren't always long.   I haven't looked up any laws on voting by mail but maybe that's an option for those who have to be at work and are in the states who don't have voter leave laws.  

then in ours you don't need time off because EVERYONE votes by mail.  your ballot automatically goes to your registered address.  if you move - you can easily change your address.

and, no lines.

I voted by email this year. They emailed my ballot, I printed it, filled it out, scanned it, and emailed it back. It was nice to be able to absentee vote this year because I haven't been able to sometimes in the past because the mail system wasn't reliable in the country I was living in.

I'm waiting for the day when there are lots of options for everyone. When you can vote in person early or on Election Day, vote with your cell phone or other device, or mail in your vote.

• Like 1

Well you guys are making me wonder...our early voting begins today and I intend to vote today, but now I'm wondering if another day or time would be better. I did do early voting for the primaries and it was terrific. No line, easy-peasy.

Wow! The person who gave me my voter form didn't even look at my license when I tried to give it to her. No ID necessary at all. :)

I know some people favor this, but I don't. I want to be assured they ascertain who I am and count my vote for me and no one else. It would give less fodder for the "rigged! Rigged!" rhetoric.

• Like 4

our state does mandatory vote by mail.   no more polling stations to man, etc.  and paper ballots for a paper trail.

we're done.

That is one of the (many) things I miss about Oregon.  Voting was so easy, and so... civilized.    We would fill out our ballots at home and drop them in a locked box at the public library.   No lines, no passing the gauntlet of candidate signs on the way into the polling place.  

• Like 2

I know some people favor this, but I don't. I want to be assured they ascertain who I am and count my vote for me and no one else. It would give less fodder for the "rigged! Rigged!" rhetoric.

Yeah, I don't know quite how it works. Some places I've lived and voted it's done that way, other places I've needed ID. Once I brought in a bill because my DL wasn't from that state where I was living.

That is one of the (many) things I miss about Oregon. Voting was so easy, and so... civilized. We would fill out our ballots at home and drop them in a locked box at the public library. No lines, no passing the gauntlet of candidate signs on the way into the polling place.

I wish it was like that here. I don't care to hear anyone bellowing a candidate's name as I walk in/out. But I am certain it will happen.

• Like 1

Early voting is new in my state and has been wildly popular. I had to wait in a short line to vote on a weekday afternoon. I'm so glad it is an option and that all towns are offering some evening and weekend hours.

I wish it was like that here. I don't care to hear anyone bellowing a candidate's name as I walk in/out. But I am certain it will happen.

Just curious, but how is this different than going to vote and not needing to show ID?

I remember wondering about this when I lived and voted there and had previously had to show ID in a different state.

Just curious, but how is this different than going to vote and not needing to show ID?

I remember wondering about this when I lived and voted there and had previously had to show ID in a different state.

Paper ballot trail with someone checking off you name on the register, so you can only vote once, and they know who voted, is harder to mess with than electronic voting via email or whatever, theoretically. Especially if we get into phone apps, etc. 

• Like 1

I think you are conflating my post about showing ID with my post about wishing I didn't have to listen to "supporters" call out who they support. Or else I just don't understand your question.

How I think it should be: if you go in person to vote, IMO, you should have to show some type of recognizable ID. IMO, it would be nice if supporters could do NOTHING but hold a sign and breathe. IMO, they should not be permitted to hand out stickers/magnets/pens, nor approach any voter with dialogue. I think this goes the same whatever the office - POTUS, Senate, Board of Ed or County Council. I have had people stop me to tell me why ______________ should head the Board of Ed outside of the polling place; IMO, that should be banned. (Although that was several years ago.)

I did my early voting today. I do think it is pretty unlikely that someone could pose as me and vote in my place, but I don't think I should be able to "get by" on merely reciting my name, address and DOB, then signing a paper with my signature. I know all these things about, say, my MIL, and it is foreseeable how someone could vote for a person whom they know is not going to vote. Even a guy behind me in line was making jokes to his friend about lack of ID being needed in Maryland. He was saying, "Oh yeah, I've voted as my father for YEARS. And he's dead!" I'm sure he was kidding, but his point, I think, was that that is possible.

• Like 2

Paper ballot trail with someone checking off you name on the register, so you can only vote once, and they know who voted, is harder to mess with than electronic voting via email or whatever, theoretically. Especially if we get into phone apps, etc.

I agree. Here we have paper ballots, though, so it's not really different than vote by mail, except you get to go in person if you wish.

I think you are conflating my post about showing ID with my post about wishing I didn't have to listen to "supporters" call out who they support. Or else I just don't understand your question.

How I think it should be: if you go in person to vote, IMO, you should have to show some type of recognizable ID. IMO, it would be nice if supporters could do NOTHING but hold a sign and breathe. IMO, they should not be permitted to hand out stickers/magnets/pens, nor approach any voter with dialogue. I think this goes the same whatever the office - POTUS, Senate, Board of Ed or County Council. I have had people stop me to tell me why ______________ should head the Board of Ed outside of the polling place; IMO, that should be banned. (Although that was several years ago.)

I did my early voting today. I do think it is pretty unlikely that someone could pose as me and vote in my place, but I don't think I should be able to "get by" on merely reciting my name, address and DOB, then signing a paper with my signature. I know all these things about, say, my MIL, and it is foreseeable how someone could vote for a person whom they know is not going to vote. Even a guy behind me in line was making jokes to his friend about lack of ID being needed in Maryland. He was saying, "Oh yeah, I've voted as my father for YEARS. And he's dead!" I'm sure he was kidding, but his point, I think, was that that is possible.

I was just wondering why we should need ID if we choose to go in person, but not if we choose (or are forced, as in Oregon) to send our ballot through the mail? I'm not sure I understand the difference.

I've never seen or heard hecklers before so I'm not commenting on that. Sorry for the confusion.