Menu

Please. Help me with an easy costume idea.

Amira

Ds needs to wear a costume tomorrow afternoon. I cannot come up with anything, even with google helping me.

I cannot go shopping for anything (and there is no way around this).

I'm a minimalist who moves often so I don't have much stuff sitting around to turn into a costume.

I'll need to carry said costume two kilometers in 90 degree temps.

It needs to be something an 8yo boy would wear.

Any ideas?

No makeup in the house. He likes legos, Star Wars, pokeman, minecraft, typical 8yo boy stuff.

Everything I've seen on Pinterest involves stuff I don't have.

He does have some black pants, one of his shirts might be dark enough, and I have plenty of black hijabs that could double as a ninja mask. That might work, thanks, maize.

Edited by Amira
  • Like 2

If he likes legos and you have a box and some paint, you could cut the head and arm holes, paint it lego color, and then paint some circles on it...he's a lego

One could do the same for Minecraft

One could make a Minecraft head from cardboard.

Is the shopping a time thing or money? You could get cardboard from a grocery store/Walmart or Target.

Do you have craft supplies laying around? Which ones?

Edited by Slartibartfast
  • Like 1

If you have a white or off white sheet, cut some eyeholes, throw it over his head, he's a ghost lol.

If you have a trash bag big enough, cut some leg holes in the bottom, cut some arm holes in the sides.  Have him step in, then fill it with crumbled news papers (or if you don't have that, random pillow cases and clothes work too)  Then pin it around his clothes near his neck so that it looks like a closed trash bag...he's a bag of trash.

If you have a box and some wrapping paper, wrap up the box, cut a hole in the bottom for his head, some arm holes in the sides, leave the bottom open, he's a present. 

I was going to say sheet-over-the-head-ghost as well!  

Darker sheets also make good capes or togas.  I made a jedi-like vest for my son with a pair of my brown pants where I just had them hanging down his back with the legs over his shoulders and secured with a belt.  Throw a cape/sheet on in the back to hide the pants and you've got a jedi.  Those are pillowcases pinned around his legs, by the way.  

IMG_0566.jpg

• Like 2

Shopping is a transportation thing. I can't drive here and the drivers I can call aren't available tomorrow (which is why I'll be walking to the party with the costume).

No big boxes here. All the sheets are on the beds. I have markers, colored pencils, scissors and masking tape.

"Create your own superhero" (This is what my daughter is doing...not for lack of shopping, but because it is what she wanted to do): solid color outfit, with "cape" in matching color - aka a long scarf she is tying around her neck. She already had a mask that covers her eyes only, but you could cut a mask out of colored paper. Then she is taping a logo she created onto her shirt. She is "green planet girl" or something like that, since her super hero wears all green. :-)

• Like 1

Do you have some paper to draw on? And does he own some medium sized balls of some sort?

If he likes Pokemon, the easiest thing with what you have might be to simply have him go as a Pokemon hunter. Regular clothes, a ball cap, a backpack (he can even use the backpack as his treat bag, if there will be Trick or Treating), and then to complete the costume, choose a ball around the right size (if he has one), and use the markers and masking tape to color it red and white. Tape the ball, (make a tape ball if he doesn't own a ball the right size; crumple paper or wrap a balled up pair of socks, and wrap in masking tape), color the bottom half of the ball red, leave the top half white, and add the little circle detail (white circle over where the red and white meet, and a black circle inside that). Then he has a Pokeball to complete his costume.

If he happens to own any stuffed animal, especially a Pokemon one, let him carry that. If not, you can find free printables online (all about coloring is a good site) and print one or two Pokemon for him to color and then tape/pin to his backpack, or even make a "Pokedeck" if he prints several (print at quarter sheet size, then cut apart and staple or clip together). Or even easier, if he has Pokemon cards already, let him carry some of those in his pocket.

• Like 1

Medieval knight: pin two bath towels (or pillow cases) together to form a tabard. If you are feeling creative, add a heraldic emblem cut from paper or felt to front towel.  Slip the tabard over his head and wrap a belt around his waist over the tabard.  Add a toy sword or make one from cardboard and aluminum foil.

• Like 1

My ds is going to be a Best Buy employee :lol:  We already have the perfect color blue polo shirt and khaki shorts (we live in a hot climate, too). I'm going to print out a best buy tag to tape to his shirt. You could do Target employee if you only have red. The easiest costume ever!

Edited by Year Round Mom
  • Like 3

Can you manipulate a hijab into a ninja outfit?

Nerd outfit if you have extra glasses (put tape on the bridge), maybe flannel or mismatched tie/clothes, large clothes, slick back hair?

If you have balloons you can make a berry or grape outfit depending on the colors available.

Edited by displace
  • Like 1

If you do the Minecraft box (Steve's face or a Creeper with green clothing), you could maybe keep it folded flat til you get to your destination, then open and tape. Keep the tape in your pocket or purse. Might need a bulky tape roll, though.

If you don't have cardboard boxes, what if you used construction paper + bits and pieces of small cardboard from something in the house to help keep the construction paper stiff... Mac and Cheese box, ziplock bags box, Saltine crackers box, etc. If you have green construction paper and clothing a Creeper might be the easiest. I wouldn't worry much about adding the green pixels, but you could use a green highlighter for contrast if you had to. Similar to the Lego head idea.

Does he like Adventure Time? Maybe he could find something blue like a sheet and be Ice King. Maybe you could pin it rather than cut it. Then make a crown out of construction paper. Beard out of white construction paper, possibly with cotton balls on it? I'm making my daughter an extra costume... Beemo out of a diaper box LOL

• Like 1

My brother once wore a hooded sweatshirt, drew a face on a balloon, then stuck the balloon in the hood. I'm not sure exactly what he was supposed to be but it got a lot of laughs. A friend did something similar only he put an oversized hoodie on as pants and put the pants on over his arms/torso,it looked like he was walking on his hands.

Another one, if you have either a Superman logo shirt or ability to fake it with paper pinned to a blue shirt-- he wears that under jeans and a white shirt, or dress pants and a white shirt. Unbutton just a few buttons on the white shirt, and he is Clark Kent disguising the fact he is Superman.

• Like 3

I saw a great Wimpy Kid costume. Kid wears normal clothes and carries this mask. http://www.kidstylefile.com.au/2014/08/08/kidstylefile-loves-kids-books-book-week-2014-costume-ideas/

My son loves Wimpy Kid...I might steal that.

My youngest is going as a spider web. Black pants, black shirt , that cheap spiderweb stuff you get from the store stretched all all over his body or you could use stretched out cotton balls and a headband with a spider made from pom poms and pipecleaners on his head.

Hes already wore it once to the library Halloween party and they loved it so much he got front page billing on their website. Cost like $4 to make lol.