Menu

It would work. If I wanted "a bunch of art supplies" I would get Home Art Studio and the art kit because you would have a bunch of art supplies but would have the option of the DVD.

Cheap art supplies are cheap. Start small and build up. We have sketchbooks, colored pencils, watercolor pencils, markers, crayons, paint, watercolor, charcoal, clay, construction paper, multiple kinds of scissors, and multiple sizes of paper.

Yes, it works for us.  My 6th grader has plans to major in Fine Arts in college and we don't use a formal curriculum at this point.  I tried two art programs with her several years ago (Drawing with Children and Artistic Pursuits).  Both times we dropped the program after a couple of weeks (well, and she actually cried when we did AP).  She does so much better with just the materials themselves.  Instruction books from the library are always welcome.  She has learned a lot from Youtube.  She'll also look at projects on blogs, etc.  There is an art teacher's blog we follow:  http://plbrown.blogspot.com   We've done several projects from her blog.

One thing I've noticed is quality of art materials makes a big difference in the outcome of a project.  We've had some disasters with stuff like Crayola Clay (she told me never to buy Crayola Clay again - Lol).  So, I try to buy the good stuff when I get her supplies.  (I guess it depends on what age we're talking about.  With little kids, Crayola is probably just fine!)

My daughter is to the point where she can paint portraits of people, so I guess we are on the right track.