Menu

Makeup Primer

Reefgazer

Wow, I had no idea.  So this is just a silicone gel, no ingredients to damage facial skin?

From makeup alley:

Active Ingredients: Dimethicone (1.2%) Inactive Ingredients: Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethicone/ Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Silica, Tocopheryl Acetate, Trisiloxane. ----------------------------------------------------

COMPARISON: SmashBox Photo Finish Primer ingredients: Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Dimethicone, Trisiloxane, Silica, Dimethicone/ Vinyldimethicone Crosspolymer, Ethylhexyl Salicylate, Retinyl Palmitate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Carthamus Tinctorius (Safflower) Seed Extract, Propylene Glycol, Water (Aqua, Eau), Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Extract, Cola Acuminata Seed Extract, Camellia Oleifera Leaf Extract.

• Like 3

Monistat chafing gel. Really.

This is no joke. It's near the women's products at Target or a drugstore. It's maybe $5 for a tube that lasts for ages. It's a gel that feels silky and dry as it goes on. You'll be angry that you paid so much before. I use it as a primer for stage make-up and I've had the same tube for years.

Eta: it's actually anti-chafing gel and the tube is purple.

Edited by KungFuPanda
  • Like 3

Wow! I use and love Younique primer. To pp who asked what the heck primer does- makes my skin super soft, makes makeup last longer and spackles in the wrinkles a bit. never heard of using monistat. Will def check my primer ingredients with it. Learn something new all the time on these boards!

Edited by MSNative
  • Like 2

What is makeup primer?

It's like paint primer. You smooth it on your skin. It gives you a smoother canvas for applying make-up so it goes on nicer. It keeps the make-up in place better and keeps it from absorbing into your skin so much. It makes it a little harder to sweat off and a little easier to remove later.

• Like 2

I've also been using the Monistat gel for years.  And it really works at it's intended purpose as well, lol. I use it on my heels when I run and it stops me from getting a blister.  I have a particular sports bra that has a seam that rubs under my arm, but the gel makes that stop.  And if I'm wearing a dress on a sweltering day a little between my thighs means that I don't get heat rash or irritation when I walk.

Primer helps you get that smooth poreless look when you wear makeup.  I mostly find it useful for keeping my makeup in place. I put it on and it disappears, I have no idea why. But primer helps that not happen.

• Like 1

It goes underneath your foundation to make your foundation looks smoother ther. At my age, I need something to fill in all the nooks and crannies and pores before I layer of the foundation. Actually, primer allows me to use a lot less foundation make up for some reason.

What is makeup primer?

• Like 1