Menu

Tachycardia and BCP

ReadingMama1214

I went off of a low dose birth control pill a few weeks ago. I had the normal symptoms: acne, cramping, period. But I also started feeling heart palpitations and started taking notice that my resting heart rate has been as low as 88bpm (which is still high) and as high as 122 bpm. I'm slightly overweight and get normal everyday exercise (walking), so I'm not an athlete by any means and could use more exercise and weight loss. I called my pcp and they said it could be a hormonal symptom of going off bcp and to Coke in if it gets as high as 140. Tonight after sitting for 1.5hrs it hit 122. No other symptoms. Only feel my heart pounding and racing. Has anyone else experienced this going off bcp? I plan to call my obgyn tomorrow and talk with her

I went off of a low dose birth control pill a few weeks ago. I had the normal symptoms: acne, cramping, period. But I also started feeling heart palpitations and started taking notice that my resting heart rate has been as low as 88bpm (which is still high) and as high as 122 bpm. I'm slightly overweight and get normal everyday exercise (walking), so I'm not an athlete by any means and could use more exercise and weight loss. I called my pcp and they said it could be a hormonal symptom of going off bcp and to Coke in if it gets as high as 140. Tonight after sitting for 1.5hrs it hit 122. No other symptoms. Only feel my heart pounding and racing. Has anyone else experienced this going off bcp? I plan to call my obgyn tomorrow and talk with her

Definitely call doctor today. I did not ver experience that going off bc.....but when I was pregnant I had the rapid heart beat....over 140 quite a few times. He put me on lanoxin and it stopped as soon as my son was born.

Definitely call doctor today. I did not ver experience that going off bc.....but when I was pregnant I had the rapid heart beat....over 140 quite a few times. He put me on lanoxin and it stopped as soon as my son was born.

I talked to my primary care Friday and he didn't seem too concerned. But I plan to call my obgyn today because I feel that they may be more knowledgeable. I'm definitely not pregnant, but I did experience the high bpm occasionally too during that.

I think it can definitely be related to hormones. I've had hormone imbalances for the past 20 months. I think. My resting heart rate is usually between 55-60 although it can be in the 40's. When it is acting up it can spike up into the 120's, which I rarely get to even when walking briskly or jogging a bit. It is uncomfortable and disconcerting, but the doctor says it isn't dangerous.