Menu

After Getting Started With French?

SeaConquest

Mulling over CAP French for Children or Galore Park SYRWTLF. Does anyone have any thoughts on where to go next?

Background: My husband is a native speaker, and I had through French 4 in high school. This would be for my DS, who will be 8 in Janaury.

• Like 1

I've looked at Spanish For Children and So You Really Want To Learn Spanish multiple times and have decided (probably) on SYRWTLS because it has better review and is more rigorous. I've only heard good things about GP language materials, and mostly heard bad things about CAP language materials.

Sorry I can't be more helpful. Ask me again in 5 years.

• Like 1

I'm interested in answers to this too. Working through GSWF very slowly with my 7yo. I've looked at CAP and MP. They both look good to me, but I'm not sure how much of it would be redundant. Plus CAP is only one book, so I'd be back looking for another curriculum again.

CAP has two books now, and the French speaker has a decent accent on the DVD (unlike their Spanish, which is horrendous). It seems to move verrrrry slowly though. I do have L'Art De Lire, which is a Canadian program. It moved too quickly for my DS last year when we tried it. I shelved it, and had forgotten I have it. I'm going to pull it back out and take a look. There aren't any videos, that I recall, so it would be better with a tutor or parent who can speak passable French.

So this is for a current 7 year old? Isn't Galore Park for middle/high school?

Have you been keeping up your French at all? How is your ability to read in French and will DH be helping at all? Something like Alex et Zoé is far more age appropriate but the teachers guide only comes in French.

I'm fine reading in French. Anything I don't understand, my DH can help me with. I will look at Alex and Zoe again. I don't remember why I picked L'Art De Lire over A&Z.

Edited by SeaConquest

I can't speak about CAP, but we went through the entire Galore series and I can't think of a better program for the younger ones. While it's intended for middle school, I started it with my then 3rd and 1st graders. It was perfect for my 3rd grader and my little one surprised us all and got through the entire thing as well.

I don't think those books are enough to master anything, but hats not their intention. As he gets more comfortable with the language, you can add in more grammar excercises, more listening (watch cartoons), eventually literature. I say go for Galore!

• Like 3

I can't speak about CAP, but we went through the entire Galore series and I can't think of a better program for the younger ones. While it's intended for middle school, I started it with my then 3rd and 1st graders. It was perfect for my 3rd grader and my little one surprised us all and got through the entire thing as well.

I don't think those books are enough to master anything, but hats not their intention. As he gets more comfortable with the language, you can add in more grammar excercises, more listening (watch cartoons), eventually literature. I say go for Galore!

Thank you! This is very helpful. :)