Menu

Timeless (TV show)

creekland

No spoilers please as hubby and I have only watched the first two episodes (we tape things until we have time to watch them)...

But just had to say I think this is the best "new" show we've watched in a long time - rates up there with Burn Notice, White Collar, and Monk for us - though I know this is sci-fi and those aren't so comparing them all is iffy.  It sure beats Scorpion (which we tried and gave up on this year) and the remake of MacGyver (still watching, but not sure for how long, it doesn't turn on either of us - it just hasn't turned us off yet).

I really like the way they are handling things - not so predictable - intriguing - and sticking to known history rather than rewriting major parts (of what was known anyway  :lol: ).

Anyone else watching (remembering the no-spoiler part)?

We're saving these on our DVR so college boys can watch them over Christmas.

• Like 2

DH, DD, and I all love it, which usually means it will be cancelled in the first season. It's the kind of show I'd like to see on Netflix or Amazon, so I can binge watch over a few days.

I did not like MacGuyver I could only make it through about 1/2 of the piolot (and I love George Eades).  DH watched the first 2-3 and was done with it.

We're still watching Lethal Weapon, I really like the actors and the movies were a favorite of mine way back when. Still I'm thinking Timeless is the best.

Edited by foxbridgeacademy
  • Like 1

No spoilers please as hubby and I have only watched the first two episodes (we tape things until we have time to watch them)...

But just had to say I think this is the best "new" show we've watched in a long time - rates up there with Burn Notice, White Collar, and Monk for us - though I know this is sci-fi and those aren't so comparing them all is iffy.  It sure beats Scorpion (which we tried and gave up on this year) and the remake of MacGyver (still watching, but not sure for how long, it doesn't turn on either of us - it just hasn't turned us off yet).

I really like the way they are handling things - not so predictable - intriguing - and sticking to known history rather than rewriting major parts (of what was known anyway  :lol: ).

Anyone else watching (remembering the no-spoiler part)?

We're saving these on our DVR so college boys can watch them over Christmas.

We like both Scorpion and Timeless, and unfortunately they are on at the same time, so we have to choose..

We enjoy this show as well, and DVR it for our kids too.   

I keep hoping the young woman will find both her Mom well and her sister existing at the same time, when she returns home.  I'm sure it will happen.

• Like 1

DH, DD, and I all love it, which usually means it will be cancelled in the first season. It's the kind of show I'd like to see on Netflix or Amazon, so I can binge watch over a few days.

I did not like MacGuyver I could only make it through about 1/2 of the piolot (and I love George Eades).  DH watched the first 2-3 and was done with it.

We're still watching Lethal Weapon, I really like the actors and the movies were a favorite of mine way back when. Still I'm thinking Timeless is the best.

Don't you just hate it when they do that.  A really well-done show that even the family can watch comes along and they cancel it.

DH and I really like this show.  I like it more than DH I think.  I think it's a GREAT show.  Yes, better than Scorpion.  I like Scorpion, but I like this better.

I caught the first episode, missed episode 2, and have seen 3 and 4.  I LOVED last night's episode and nearly posted here about it.

DH and I lean towards sci-fi shows for our "scripted" type of TV.  We like shows like Amazing Race (please, come back soooooooooonnnnnnn!) and American Ninja Warrior, that sort of stuff as well.  But our favorite show ever is Stargate SG1 (and all it's spin offs.)  And this feels very much like Stargate, though different enough to not be Stargate, if that makes sense.

I loved the Hindenburg episode and loved how the lady reporter still ended up with the same fate....it felt very much like...when it's time it's time, that won't change. 

I wish I could discuss last night's episode.

Ok, I have to say, favorite line was "I'm the pilot, from Tuskeegee.  I got us here."  And that was it.  Lots of other great lines too.

We like Stargate too.   ;)  Soon we ought to be able to discuss more.  We're about to watch another episode tonight.  We're not too far behind.

We still prefer the original MacGyver series by far, but are giving the new one a chance by watching for a season or two (as we did with Scorpion).  That one seems very Scorpion"ish" so we might not continue it for that long.  I'm glad to have come across Timeless.

I suspect whether Timeless continues or not will be dependent upon the writing - and that lawsuit mentioned in a pp.   :glare:

Even Burn Notice lost our attention the last couple of seasons when it was evident that the writers had run out of decent ideas.  (sigh)

We like both Scorpion and Timeless, and unfortunately they are on at the same time, so we have to choose..

We enjoy this show as well, and DVR it for our kids too.   

I keep hoping the young woman will find both her Mom well and her sister existing at the same time, when she returns home.  I'm sure it will happen.

What really turned us off on Scorpion was the continued incredibly unrealistic time deadlines they seemed to harp on.  (The new MacGyver has some of that too.)  I like my fantasy to be somewhat realistic and 20 minutes to save the planet when we know it takes at least an hour to maybe handle one aspect is just too much for our minds.  It drives us batty in our conversations afterward.  Then too, we disliked how they were the only smart ones, "geniuses," when in reality, many "dissed" folks doing their jobs wouldn't be quite so dumb.

The premise of the show we liked and we watched the first couple of seasons hoping some of the ??? would wear off, but finally we gave up and figured the annoyances weren't worth it to us.

I'm watching it. 

It is supposedly a copy of a Spanish tv series. So if you speak spanish you can always watch, "“El Ministerio del Tiempo". They are supposed to be very similar. 

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/timeless-nbc-copyright-infringement-1201872007/

:huh:  How annoying that NBC would do that (sigh).  What in the world would have been wrong with just making a deal for a great idea for a show???

I wonder what will happen...

Edited by creekland

I like MacGuyver better than Scopion.  But with MacGuyver....it's just really hard to beat RDA.  Remaking that series is, to me, like remaking ET or something.  (Please may they never remake ET.)  With Scorpion, the writing just never really hooked me.  It's....good enough to put on for background when I am just vegging on the couch, but it's just not a "note the day and time it's on to keep track" type of show. 

I think the writing is better on Timeless, and I really like all the little historical references.  In the Hindenburg show, there was a shot of a family standing in the windows watching.  I can't be for sure, but I think that perhaps that family was supposed to represent the Doehner family.  Werner Doehner is one of the two last surviving passengers.  I also like that they used the script of the broadcast so closely.  I mean they had to use the most famous parts of course ("oh the humanity!")  But they seemed to try to stick to it as close as possible. 

I need to see if I can watch the second episode...that's the Lincoln one, right?

Ditto on MacGyver and Scorpion - and Timeless, of course.

We just finished watching/discussing the third episode... tons of wonderful "what ifs" and "glad they do/don'ts" running through our minds.  We absolutely love it.

Yes, the second episode was the Lincoln one.  We're watching them in order - which seems sort of necessary for the "main" plot they always put into shows now.  

One thing we've wondered is how long they can continue this series.  It's running a bit more like a mini-series with that main plot.  How long can they stretch that out?  Burn Notice went far longer than it should have due to losing that main focus.  Monk, however, was good to the end.  (Our opinions, of course.)

I'm watching it.

It is supposedly a copy of a Spanish tv series. So if you speak spanish you can always watch, "“El Ministerio del Tiempo". They are supposed to be very similar.

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/timeless-nbc-copyright-infringement-1201872007/

Wow, I've watched a couple episodes of El ministerio del tiempo. I haven't been able to figure out where to stream it from easily. Do you know? Last I checked it wasn't on Netflix.

I'm also watching Timeless. Some similarities, but also many differences. Timeless is scifi, with time machine of course, with some shadowy group pulling the string of our heroes for uncertain purpose. People in the past are left ignorant of time travel.

The time travel in Ministerio is some kind of natural phenomenon that has always existed? They travel through a huge underground complex of rooms - enter a room, you're in a different time period. There are doors in all of history that lead back. No scifi at all. And people from other time periods are recruited as agents, and even work together on teams. And there is a very strong focus on Spanish (Spain) history.

• Like 1

We are really enjoying Timeless! I was happy to find a show we could watch with the kids, I usually like darker, more adult stuff. But Timeless is fun, I'm hoping they go in some interesting directions, but don't want to accidentally give any spoilers so I guess I'll stop there.

• Like 1

Wow, I've watched a couple episodes of El ministerio del tiempo. I haven't been able to figure out where to stream it from easily. Do you know? Last I checked it wasn't on Netflix.

I'm also watching Timeless. Some similarities, but also many differences. Timeless is scifi, with time machine of course, with some shadowy group pulling the string of our heroes for uncertain purpose. People in the past are left ignorant of time travel.

The time travel in Ministerio is some kind of natural phenomenon that has always existed? They travel through a huge underground complex of rooms - enter a room, you're in a different time period. There are doors in all of history that lead back. No scifi at all. And people from other time periods are recruited as agents, and even work together on teams. And there is a very strong focus on Spanish (Spain) history.

Thanks for reporting on the differences.  That makes me feel a bit better about the writers/producers.

By the end of the day today we'll be caught up, though possibly wishing we had waited a little longer to start watching to get more shows taped and ready for us!

Thanks for reporting on the differences.  That makes me feel a bit better about the writers/producers.

After reading the article, I have a feeling it's a bit like saying the US show Elementary ripped of the UK Sherlock because they both put Sherlock Holmes in the modern day (and I think there was a kerfuffle about that at the time).  That basic premise is common, but after that, the shows are actually quite different.  They may have even gotten some very basic ideas from it (as in the Sherlock shows), but the end products are different enough that they don't share that much.

There are two men and a woman in both teams, but the woman is from the late 19th century (or turn of the century) - and was recruited there, and I don't believe she is a historian.  There is a modern-day guy, and I think the second man on the team is from the 17th century.  There is no pilot, because there is no time travel device of any kind.  I also don't think any of the doors to the past lead anywhere but Spain, but I only watched a couple of episodes, so I could be wrong.  So no travelling to Germany as in the most recent Timleless episode.  There's no big techie company running things, it's literally some kind of government ministry.

There is a thread where the modern-day guy dreams of saving his wife who died.  But, you know, all time travel shows are going to have a lot of things in common.  Changing the past for one's own benefit (most often saving the life of a loved one), how it affects other things downstream you didn't intend - heck that's in every.single show or book about time travel ever.  Heck, look at the entire plot line of The Flash recently...  and Legends of Tomorrow as well.... there are so many time travel shows on right now, I don't see these two as having that much more in common.

• Like 1

Thanks for mentioning the show, OP.

I had missed this one and I'm binge watching it now on Hulu. I really love it!

It's the kind of thing us history majors liked to toss out and discuss in college. What if XYZ person from history hadn't died at this time or if XYZ event didn't happen? Good geeky fun.

• Like 1

Thanks for mentioning the show, OP.

I had missed this one and I'm binge watching it now on Hulu. I really love it!

It's the kind of thing us history majors liked to toss out and discuss in college. What if XYZ person from history hadn't died at this time or if XYZ event didn't happen? Good geeky fun.

Ditto - even though neither of us is a History major.  It's still fun brain exercising.  I love how well they are sticking to history (for the original) too.  So many TV shows prefer to modify it to fit TV's ideal.

We're caught up now... should we allow spoilers below this point?  Consensus will rule...  

We'll be keeping up from now on - as soon as they tape so I can fast forward commercials.  On days we're traveling it'll take us a day or two to catch up, but I can refrain from reading this thread until afterward.   :coolgleamA:

I do find that with time travel books or movies you can't think to deeply about it. .. Well with the exception of the book, "The redemption of Christopher Columbus".

I think that goes for all Sci-Fi, but I still really like those that opt to be as realistic as possible - even using the correct language for the country, etc.

It's fun to consider the "what ifs" and what sort of reasons support them (or not).

Oh, rats. This is probably not a show for me.

When I read Psych, Monk, and Burn Notice, I thought it might be. Then I saw this is sci-fi.

I have a theory about sci-fi. It's not for me. 

Try it and see.  It's sci-fi only that it deals with time travel.  Everything is on earth and there are no aliens or anything else "weird."  It reminds me most of Burn Notice, not Star Trek.

• Like 1

Try it and see.  It's sci-fi only that it deals with time travel.  Everything is on earth and there are no aliens or anything else "weird."  It reminds me most of Burn Notice, not Star Trek.

Yeah...it's sci fi because it deals with a time machine and what happens when people mess with time.  That's a popular theme in sci fi.  It's almost got an element of historical fiction to it really. 

Thanks, ladies. I still think my theory would apply to this, but if I can find it and start from the beginning, I might try it out. 

What's my theory, you ask? The only people I have ever met who've enjoyed science fiction are all, without exception, very intelligent. Me? Not so much!

Thanks, ladies. I still think my theory would apply to this, but if I can find it and start from the beginning, I might try it out. 

What's my theory, you ask? The only people I have ever met who've enjoyed science fiction are all, without exception, very intelligent. Me? Not so much!

Looking at your sig... do you like Sherlock?  If so, I'd be betting you'd like Timeless.  You really don't have to think and ponder the possibilities.  It can just be enjoyed.  ;)

• Like 1

I think that goes for all Sci-Fi, but I still really like those that opt to be as realistic as possible - even using the correct language for the country, etc.

It's fun to consider the "what ifs" and what sort of reasons support them (or not).

The book Inherit the Stars, and it's next two sequels read so well you might think you are reading a book written by a scientist who was their when it all happened.   

Edited by Julie Smith
  • Like 1

Does anyone else think the bad guy is the historian's real dad?

I'm totally getting that vibe.

BTW, I love how they show what 90% of American (and world history for that matter) has truly been like for those that are non-white. Usually time travel shows deal with that in one episode and then gloss it over in the rest. This one is at least realistic about the situation in every episode.

• Like 1

BTW, I love how they show what 90% of American (and world history for that matter) has truly been like for those that are non-white. Usually time travel shows deal with that in one episode and then gloss it over in the rest. This one is at least realistic about the situation in every episode.

I never thought about her real dad being the man behind the curtain.  I have wondered what her Fiance has to do with it all (if anything).  It'll be interesting to see how it plays out.

Otherwise, I share your thoughts with their trying to be accurate showing the past - including the mental aspects of it ("normal" vs not).

There is really a lot about this show that I'm liking (so far), much of it in those "outside the main story" details.

We still have the Alamo episode taped and need to watch it.  We've been super busy here between work, yard work, pony work, pony sales, and shuttling middle son from college to a med school interview and back.  We've hardly watched anything.  Soon we'll have our DVR completely full (200 hours of stuff to choose from)!

Yep, we're picking that up too. We're loving this show!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I also wanted to say, i loved that Lucy ended up writing the letter. And I LOVED the whole bit about a school being named after Juliet Shakesman lol. It reminded me of Back toThe Future and how they changed the names of landmarks like the mall (lone pine mall) and ravine (Eastwood ravine) lol.

We just caught up on the Alamo episode... it's been a bit chaotic with traveling to my mom's, etc, around here.

Now I'm dying to see the name on the paper her mom passed her.  We will have to catch the latest episode before we head to my mom's again...

On a different note (to anyone, of course), do you ever wonder what it's like to play the part (or write the part) for people like Davy Crockett?  Imagine if they (the real people from history) were watching the episode (or any movie, I guess).  It'd be cool listening to them critique it all - or maybe shouting "Fix it!  Who cares if you change history!!!"

We just caught up on the Alamo episode... it's been a bit chaotic with traveling to my mom's, etc, around here.

Now I'm dying to see the name on the paper her mom passed her.  We will have to catch the latest episode before we head to my mom's again...

On a different note (to anyone, of course), do you ever wonder what it's like to play the part (or write the part) for people like Davy Crockett?  Imagine if they (the real people from history) were watching the episode (or any movie, I guess).  It'd be cool listening to them critique it all - or maybe shouting "Fix it!  Who cares if you change history!!!"

The most recent episode on hulu has her reading the paper and the reveal, so you don't have to wait forever!

I'm not really a student of history, so I don't know how many details they are getting right and which are embellishments, but I'm guessing the historians/consultants they have working on the show are having a ball. 

I'm really loving this show, though I've become a fan of binge watching and waiting for episodes is annoying, particularly for something so good.

• Like 1

The most recent episode on hulu has her reading the paper and the reveal, so you don't have to wait forever!

I'm not really a student of history, so I don't know how many details they are getting right and which are embellishments, but I'm guessing the historians/consultants they have working on the show are having a ball. 

I'm really loving this show, though I've become a fan of binge watching and waiting for episodes is annoying, particularly for something so good.

Thanks!  And this (bolded part) is the pro of having episodes taped and waiting for us after the chaotic is over!

I imagine I would feel under a lot of pressure to be as right as possible about writing those types of parts.  Well known historical figures, I would be afraid that every time I got one little quote wrong, that I would get tons of hate email about how stupid I was lol. 

How true!  Now I'm wondering how many e-mails they get... either "kudos" or "hey you missed this" types!

We used to fact check too.  The last couple of episodes we've taken them at their word because our fact checking found nothing amiss on the earlier episodes.  Let me know if you find something "off."

Loved the intrigue of the story line from the Watergate episode.

Now we have to wait.   :toetap05:  And we're not home the next two Mondays, so we'll need to wait longer.  :willy_nilly:  But then we'll be able to do a mini-binge and soon we'll be able to enjoy the whole thing (up to the present in Dec) with our kids.  :party:

• 2 months later...

Just saw the Jesse James episode.  It was great and Bass Reeves was cool!

Ds stopped watching because some things bugged him and one is starting to bug me, too.  

Even though lots of people are dying, except for the sister, nothing is really changing in the future. I'd really think at some point the descendants of one of those people would have had an impact on the world. Having them notice something somewhere would be nice, I think.