Menu

Curious: when was the last time YOU had a vaccine / booster shot ...

SKL

After my second or third child the hospital staff talked me into getting rubella, because if I ever had another child and I was exposed that child would die in utero.  The place on my forearm where I was given the injection formed a cyst.  Occasionally my arm aches and the cyst shrinks.  It is very small now. 

Eta: This was 14-17 years ago.

Edited by Excelsior! Academy

Interesting - this makes me think - I don't have my personal immunization record anywhere, I don't think.  Maybe I should ask my mom for it.  Nobody is keeping track of what boosters I might need or any of that.  If I ever needed to prove vaxes for anything, I hope they wouldn't make me get re-poked for the whole list!

Myself, I probably had a tetanus shot when I cut my finger about 15 years ago.  Before that, the last shot I remember getting was in elementary school - where they used to line us up for boosters at school.  That would have been roughly 40 years ago.

Edited by SKL

Last year for tetanus. It had been 9.5 years and my family lives on a farm and I'm a klutz and always getting poked with rusty nails and stuff when I visit, so I definitely didn't want to let it go past 10. I got the TDaP, but it was the tetanus I was really concerned about. 

If I ever needed to prove vaxes for anything, I hope they wouldn't make me get re-poked for the whole list!

They will make you get titers, which is a blood draw. I had to get them done last spring for school even though I had my shot records. The only ones I didn't have to do were DTaP because I'd gotten a booster for that in 2015.

What particularly annoyed me was that I had to get a Hep B titer even though I'd just gotten the full 3 dose series in 2015. I'm not sure why that wasn't considered sufficient. I can understand with the shots I got decades ago wanting titers but Hep B was recent.

Interesting!  So there is no grandfather clause for vaxes if I ever decide to go back to school.  Not something I think about much.  :P

I wonder what else would require an older person to have proof of vaxes.  Living in an assisted living facility??

Tdap during every pregnancy...so 18ish months ago.

I'm surprised at this and the pp who mentioned getting these boosters with every pregnancy. The boosters aren't recommended that frequently--do OB's just order them without bothering to find out whether a patient has had one in recent years?

Yes a pregnant women should be up to date, but if she just got a booster two years ago she is already up to date.

Eta guess this is the current recommendation as pertussis antibodies decrease even 1 year post vaccination.

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm6207a4.htm

Edited by maize

Interesting!  So there is no grandfather clause for vaxes if I ever decide to go back to school.  Not something I think about much.  :p

Depends on what you're studying. Speech & language pathology is considered "allied health" since many SLP students intern in hospitals, rehab centers, nursing homes, etc. Even if I intern at a school or for Early Intervention, I'd likely come into contact with medically fragile children. It makes sense to require SLP students to prove immunity to vaccine-preventable diseases. I just wish that the titers weren't so dang expensive!

• Like 1

a few years ago when my tetanus required a booster. As a hiker and rock climber, I would be dumb to let that expire.

And 12 years ago a whole huge batch because immigration. Visitors can spread all manner of disease, but if you want to have a work permit, you need to have all kinds of vaccinations and health checks.Makes no sense, but you jump through whatever hoop they make you.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 2