Menu

iPhone 4s?

Does it still work with most current apps?  DD doesn't want to spend a lot on new phone and I don't either.  The 4s is dirt cheap at about $70 used.  The 5s isn't bad @ about $150 used.  Worth the $$ to go 5s?  (Not even looking at 6 or 7 so off the table.)

She uses it for apps at school and she wants a decent camera.

• Like 1

I use a 4s, and it's fine.   But eventually it won't be, and that will be quicker than a 5.  I would either get the 5 for longevity's sake, or consider the trade-offs and get a 4s with significantly more memory.  The camera on the 5 will be a step up from the 4.  Interestingly, I've found Wikipedia to be a good place to compare features on various iPhone models. 

• Like 1

There are some apps that don't work on a 4s. The camera is better on a 5. I wouldn't get a 4s used unless it has been refurbished, mine is pretty buggy and the battery life stinks. I replaced mine this summer, it still functions and I'm using it for my kids, but it was getting frustrating. If the price difference wasn't huge I would get the 5 instead.

If you are on AT&T and you don't mind prepaid, they have a prepaid iPhone 5s new for $150

https://www.att.com/cellphones/iphone/iphone-5s-prepaid.html#sku=sku7920691

ETA:

I love shooting candid shots of my kids with my 5s and the 16gb is always out of space. Mine is two years old and the battery is dying so I am going for a 64gb this time and waiting for sales.

Edited by Arcadia

My dd has a 4s that she uses as an iPod.  The operating system can no longer be updated so she is starting to see issues with newer apps. And the battery does stink.  This does not matter for how she is using it but would be an issue if she needed certain apps or a good battery.

My 5s does a lot that DH's 4s can't do. His works fine but can't update to the latest OS, and there are things it can't do, like Siri. (Even with the latest OS, my 5s still can't do everything.). The camera on my 5s is quite a bit better than his 4s. I would go for the extra money for the 5s, personally.

If you buy a Refurbished or Remanufactured phone, it would be a *big* plus if the seller installs a new battery in it.  I ran into that 2 or 3 months ago, when looking for a replacement battery for the TI-84 Plus CE Graphing Calculator we bought for DD last year.  The eBay Seller I bought the (non OEM) battery from primarily sells Used TI calculators.  They install new batteries, in the Used calculators they sell. That's a "plus" if you can get it.  Try to get a guarantee from the Seller that it will work   with any provider and that it has never been in/near water and that the IMEI number is clean (not  reported lost or stolen).  GL